Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:21:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Secure Linux Distribution for Bitcoin using?  (Read 5158 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:52:58 AM

I want to set up my old Laptop in order to use it only for Bitcoin and crypto currencies software (wallets, trading, etc).

Is there a special secure Linux distribution what is recommend to use for such a case?
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 05:53:23 AM

I want to set up my old Laptop in order to use it only for Bitcoin and crypto currencies software (wallets, trading, etc).

Is there a special secure Linux distribution what is recommend to use for such a case?
I would just use Linux Mint with some good passwords. You're already being very safe using Linux on a separate mostly offline device.
Mint is considered the best Linux desktop environment by very many people and is ranked #1 at distrowatch.

Basically if you fuck something up you can probably figure out how to fix it in Mint without using the terminal, other Linux distributions are less friendly.
Mint also supports HD encryption out of the box with 0 issues or hassle.

There are also some tips for hardening any Linux such as blocking ports you know you don't need, google "Linux hardening".

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Ayle56

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 06:00:05 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2016, 07:23:28 AM by Ayle56

If you want anonymity there is a Linux distribution called tails that comes with Electrum preintalled and configured to run through Tor. However, there was a bug in it that needed fixing, you had to update the Tor Browser NoScript add-on because the one included was out of date. I don't know if that's been fixed yet.

You could probably use it to run Electrum without going through Tor if you only want a pre-installed wallet..

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Tails-1-3-Out-Now-Introduces-the-Electrum-Bitcoin-Wallet-474176.shtml

Unfortunately, a known issue remains in this stable release of the Tails anonymous Live CD operating system based on the Linux kernel and Debian GNU/Linux. The issue is related to the Tor Browser Bundle which has version 2.6.9.14 of the NoScript add-on, instead of version 2.6.9.15 used in the official Tor Browser 4.0.4 web browser.

Recently this Linux distribution called Bitcoinos was released with pre-installed wallets, but it's so new I don't know how good it is. It could be advisable to wait for reviews of it before risking using it to store Bitcoins.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2t88ak/introducing_bitcoinos_linux_distro_with_several/
Cryptology
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 09:30:03 AM

Well that depends on your model of your adversary's capabilities. In other words what kind of risks are you concerned about?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 11:25:45 AM

Well.. it depends on how well you're able to use Linux distributions.

fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 275

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 01:25:32 AM

For once off access, use Tails. You could use Electrum, which is installed in Tails by default, or Bitcoin Core in offline mode by grabbing the executable from bitcoin.org

Bitwasp Developer.
indstove

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 12:50:46 PM

Tails and Mint distributions are my choices of best interest.
mcoins

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 02:59:37 PM

I would just use Linux Mint with some good passwords. You're already being very safe using Linux on a separate mostly offline device.
Mint is considered the best Linux desktop environment by very many people and is ranked #1 at distrowatch.

Basically if you fuck something up you can probably figure out how to fix it in Mint without using the terminal, other Linux distributions are less friendly.
Mint also supports HD encryption out of the box with 0 issues or hassle.

There are also some tips for hardening any Linux such as blocking ports you know you don't need, google "Linux hardening".

I fully agree
Linux Mint is the best...
so98nn

Activity: 2086
Merit: 603

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 03:15:36 PM

kali linux Wink ?
google it
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:25:38 PM

kali linux Wink ?
google it

i think something with the least amount of services and frills installed is the best route.. kali, not so much.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
o_solo_miner
Legendary

Activity: 2459
Merit: 1477

-> morgen, ist heute, schon gestern <-

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:35:29 PM

I would recomend Tails as an option. Roll Eyes

from the creator of CGMiner http://solo.ckpool.org for Solominers
paused: passthrough for solo.ckpool.org => stratum+tcp://rfpool.org:3334
xdrpx

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 06:01:32 AM

I found that TAIL's operating system comes with Electrum wallet where all the web applications are router via TOR, so even your electrum wallet will run over TOR. You could also run ROKUS OS on your raspberry pi and run Bitcoin Core on it which seems pretty secure.

You could also install a lightweight linux distro like Puppy Linux or LXDE and run Electrum on it using the TOR network to connect to the Electrum SPV servers.
nebuzen

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 04:08:13 PM

kali linux Wink ?
google it

The point being? Lol. Thats strictly a pentesting distro.
nebuzen

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 04:10:22 PM

If you're looking at a high level of security, then I would suggest any distro give you never connect that laptop directly to the internet. You would also have to be careful while using removable-media on it. Though Linux doesn't allow viruses to run very easily (segregated accounts, you should never run as root etc). Smiley Headache, but sure worth it.
xdrpx

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 04:19:10 PM

The most secure Linux distribution for using Bitcoin with a desktop based Bitcoin wallet would be TAILS. The entire OS has been developed to focus on the privacy of the user and anonymity which tunnels your connection and Bitcoin wallet (Electrum) over tor. It also has good cryptography tools for encryption
nebuzen

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 04:25:11 PM

The most secure Linux distribution for using Bitcoin with a desktop based Bitcoin wallet would be TAILS. The entire OS has been developed to focus on the privacy of the user and anonymity which tunnels your connection and Bitcoin wallet (Electrum) over tor. It also has good cryptography tools for encryption

*Facepalm*

Privacy != Security
Anonymity != Security

Crypto tools? Lol. So? What good would they do here? Encrypting what?

Tunnelling, sure, great idea. But then, you would have to trust the service you're tunnelling through and that is not real security.

TOR? Lolno. Many TOR nodes have been compromised by various entities, it's public news. Some other P2P tunnelling maybe? NO.

Best to keep the device storing Bitcoins completely off the Internet!
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 05:36:43 PM

You can use windows 98 and if you're offline it's not a big deal.
benster1970

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 03:34:17 PM

Bitkey is pretty cool.

"A self-contained Live CD/USB key with everything you need to perform highly secure air-gapped Bitcoin transactions. Offline cold storage made (slightly more) practical."

http://bitkey.io

btc_zero_sum

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 03:50:56 PM

all linux distro can be secure, my favourite method is:

- download debian netinstall
- install it on a usb key (even 8GB is more than enough)
- of course i choose full disk encryption during install
- boot from usb (can boot on any computer)
- install a few packages (a gui, electrum wallet, whatever you like but only what is essential)
- if you are a linux pro you can configure further security (tons of tutorials online) otherwise go to next step
- done, enjoy your bitcoins

now all your system is on an encrypted usb key (do not forget the passphrase!), you can boot anywhere on almost any existing compoter, all files get saved on the usb and you have no access to the host computer (and viceversa)

do not use kali, it's a distribution meant to test security, not to be secure
you can use tails but is overkill, it is meant to (try to) be anonymous, works on tor network and you have to use a modified version of firefox, depending on your needs can be a good choice (btw i wouldn't use it only for btc)

i wouldn't use the other bitcoin oriented distros as well (i wouldn't trust), i know for sure that debian has excellent and safe code and so i would build my system on top of that

btc_zero_sum

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 04:04:46 PM

You can use windows 98 and if you're offline it's not a big deal.

only if you NEVER EVER connect it to internet!

trust me, even a computer running XP should never be connected to internet if contains any kind of personal data
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: