Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:23:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Checkout this new bitcoin game!  (Read 2089 times)
BitTrivia (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 04:54:42 PM

Here's a trivia game I made where you can play trivia for bitcoin:

www.bittrivia.com

Basically the way it works is you create an account and send bitcoin to the address listed. In about 10 seconds the bitcoin will be credited to your account and you can start playing!

Everyone bids a certain amount of bitcoin.
After the bidding round is over, a trivia question is shown.
The first person to correctly answer the trivia question wins everyone else's bitcoin up to the amount that they bid.
When you're done playing, you can cashout to a bitcoin address.

I'd love to get feedback on what you all think!

I've been lurking in the forums for several months, but this is the first time that I've actually made an account and posted. If you guys think this game is a neat idea, I'd really appreciate it if someone could repost this in General Discussion or another board.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 05:16:23 PM

Here's a trivia game I made where you can play trivia for bitcoin:

www.bittrivia.com

Basically the way it works is you create an account and send bitcoin to the address listed. In about 10 seconds the bitcoin will be credited to your account and you can start playing!

Everyone bids a certain amount of bitcoin.
After the bidding round is over, a trivia question is shown.
The first person to correctly answer the trivia question wins everyone else's bitcoin up to the amount that they bid.
When you're done playing, you can cashout to a bitcoin address.

I'd love to get feedback on what you all think!

I've been lurking in the forums for several months, but this is the first time that I've actually made an account and posted. If you guys think this game is a neat idea, I'd really appreciate it if someone could repost this in General Discussion or another board.

So you yourself can just setup a bot to play and win everything, as it has access to the questions/answers database and can answer instantly.
BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 05:50:35 PM

Hi greyhawk,

You're right. I could set up a bot to answer the questions correctly, but that would totally ruin the site. The site already makes money by taking a 10% cut of the winnings.
BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 06:03:01 PM

Also, people are free to deposit whatever amount of bitcoin as long as it's 0.001 or greater. So you can try out the site with a few pennies and see for yourself whether it's real or fake. Or you can just come on the site to chat if you want!

hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 06:10:35 PM

nice one. trying
Largo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 06:21:51 PM

Cool idea.
Google captcha took me 3 tries but working now Smiley

sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 06:25:48 PM

BitTrivia is awesome! The site has a really good flow to it. I actually tripled my bitcents, so I'm pretty happy about that.

The question set is good. I think in one case the available letters for my browser was too short by one, but may also have been a bad answer on my part.

Site is very fast and smooth. Had a lot of fun playing. I'll be back later on. Even as a non-trivia expert, I found it to be quite a lot of fun.
johnvolta

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 06:32:02 PM

thanks for the nice interesting game
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 1208

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 11:28:01 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2012, 11:41:09 PM by HostFat

I hope that he will add also the possibility to bet on guessers Wink

Even better if the guesser can make some Bitcoin from his own bettors (if they win)
It's a new job! Shocked

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 12:30:00 AM

seems fun. hope it takes off.

Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 12:30:45 AM

Thumbs up!

Four bitmills ahead thus far. I have the same ID as on this forum. See yas later!

Ditto.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 12:41:28 AM

A few more quick thoughts.

If you'd like help compiling some more fiendish questions, I'd love to contribute. Even if this means I can't play anymore. I'd probably do it for a pretty trivial fee.

There seems to be a bit of an entertainment and baseball bias, which is OK I guess, especially if a lot of North Americans are involved.

Does the software permit alternative answers? For example, I lost on one question in which I answered first with "he got shipwrecked" when the winning answer was "he was shipwrecked". Yet both are correct. There may also need to be allowances for spelling variations, e.g. analyse/analyze, adviser/advisor, and so on (unless of course the variant does not fit in the given spaces correctly).

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
ryanAC

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 12:46:04 AM

This is a good start!  And the chat window makes it a decent place to just hang out.
BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 02:59:50 AM

Thanks everyone for coming to the site and playing trivia! I really appreciate all the suggestions you have given me, and I hope to incorporate them in soon. Right now the challenge is getting the site to a critical mass where there are enough people playing constantly to make it fun.

@nobbynobbynoob - Your idea is something that I had thought about too. It would be great if people could create additional trivia questions and then I could credit their account with bitcoin for it. I had to pay to get the 2500 questions that are on there currently, so I certainly wouldn't mind paying other people to make them too. I was thinking about creating an extra interface dedicated to just that: submitting trivia questions.

But yeah, I have gotten a lot of feedback that the questions are a bit American biased and a little too much sports and entertainment. When I buy more questions, I will make sure not to buy as many from the Sports and Entertainment questions. Also, people submitting questions will help too.

To address your last point, right now there isn't an easy way to accept multiple answers. Some of the questions were designed to be multiple choice so it would be easy to pick out "he was shipwrecked" from the other options. Unfortunately I can't do multiple choice because it would be too easy to cheat. So instead I give the number of letters and spaces/punctuation so that you can at least come up with something that fits.

If anyone else has any feedback please let me know. Also, if you played the game and you liked it, please spread the word! If anyone has any ideas for how I can market this better, please let me know. I'd even be interested in partnering up with someone and paying them to market the site.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 06:36:57 PM

Hi. Please be careful of the recent double-spend issue that was discovered with SatoshiDice. The way it works is, someone could deposit some BTC with you using a lot of small transaction sources (e.g. deposit 1BTC consisting of 0.1BTC coming fron 10 different addresses), then when they lose, doublt-spend by sending that exact same transaction to a different address, but with a small fee. There are apparently miners out there that will ignore that it's a double-spend, and ignore the free transaction, approving the one with the fee instead.

Also, was nice meeting you at the Bitcoin meetup a few weeks ago.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 07:23:02 PM

Great idea! I hope you manage to put some of the suggestions into reality.

Here is another on: Have a latter system that shows some statistics with the user names and award the best each week/month/all time, etc.
BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 01:58:12 PM

@Rassah It was nice meeting you as well! Thanks for the tip about that specific double spend issue. I will look into it to make sure that the site isn't vulnerable to that type of an attack. Right now I wait 1 confirmation on a person's deposit before they can withdrawal.

@Spekulatius Thanks! Yeah having some stats would be really cool. I will try to add them in at some point

So question for everyone:

Right now the game is really fun when 3 or more people are playing. We've had windows of time where this is the case and everyone is enjoying themselves. The problem is when no one is playing and someone new shows up. Then they ultimately leave because nothing is going on. I've tried to remedy this a little by letting people play "single player" against the website. They don't need to bid anything, but if they answer the question right, they get some bitcoin from the website. That way they might stay long enough that other people might join.

Does anyone have any other ideas for how I could get more people on the site so that this isn't as big of a problem?
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 02:18:49 PM

Great game. Makes a lot of fun. I wish you much success with it.

Hope more People will start playing soon, so it actually makes sense to bet something.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Kazzykid

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 02:33:27 PM

Sounds like a load of fun, will check it out!
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 03:49:06 PM

Is this the kind of game where algorithm-augmented IT freaks try to beat the efficiency of the commercial knowledge engines?

The problem with competitive games for money is that as soon as a few players are in and started optimizing their strategy, the barrier of entry gets large. The proposal of betting on betters might be interesting, as are tournaments where people/bots/users fight in rounds and others watch the show. (And can be amazed about the speed and precision of the contestants as soon as things get rolling.)

Remember IBM Watson, the human-toasting trivia machine? Check it out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFR3lOm_xhE

That one had no internet connection, just a fat RAID. Give a contestant just a fraction of a second you get that with a Wolfram Alpha, Google Now and probably more custom scripts as fallback. With more time, you get humans with a very well-filtered UI. And this sure ain't the end of it. A human without augmentation on a copper connection should be pretty crippled against such competition. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: