Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:36:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear rich guy: How you can make risk-free profit with bitcoin.  (Read 2718 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:33:08 AM

1. Buy up $100,000 worth of bitcoin.
2. Announce that you are now investing in bitcoin. Attend interviews and go "yada yada bitcoin the future of currency".
3. Sell it when the price of bitcoin goes up.
4. Huh
5. Profit!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:03:30 PM

2. Announce that you are now investing in bitcoin. Attend interviews and go "yada yada bitcoin the future of currency".
4. Huh
5. Profit!
Did you just put risk free and Bitcoin in the same sentence?!  You also wrote 'when the price of bitcoin goes up'.  I know many of us may use such terminology when our optimism and enthusiasm takes over our vocabulary from our reasoning faculty Wink but whenever 'when' is used referring to future events there are always caveats - and with Bitcoin, big ones - there are so many unknowns.  This idea appears to have omitted what I would consider to be this critical factor.

May I ask your intended purpose for this thread?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:09:16 PM

4. Huh
5. Profit!

You are going to have to make that $1,000,000 or $10,000,000.

I helped someone buy $150,000 worth of bitcoin in the last two weeks, and it made such a small blip on the charts you'd hardly have noticed.

(That said, I do believe the price of bitcoin is going up.  I believe there are many potential buyers with $50-$100k ready to throw at Bitcoin, whose only turnoffs are not feeling sure about being able to secure them, and having to deal with uncertainties of acquiring that many - like buying from Gox... in other words, if it were as easy as logging into E-Trade and clicking "buy", it'd be done by now)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:25:46 PM

4. Huh
5. Profit!

I helped someone buy $150,000 worth of bitcoin in the last two weeks, and it made such a small blip on the charts you'd hardly have noticed.

(That said, I do believe the price of bitcoin is going up.  I believe there are many potential buyers with $50-$100k ready to throw at Bitcoin, whose only turnoffs are not feeling sure about being able to secure them, and having to deal with uncertainties of acquiring that many - like buying from Gox... in other words, if it were as easy as logging into E-Trade and clicking "buy", it'd be done by now)

+1

but gox IS just as easy as logging in and clicking buy or sell. (once your money is there)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:37:23 PM

4. Huh
5. Profit!

+1

but gox IS just as easy as logging in and clicking buy or sell. (once your money is there)

I wish I could represent it as being that easy, but they worry about:

1 - sending money to some random (to them) company in Japan with practically no accountability
2 - unforeseen delays or surprises

If I hold somebody's hands through it, that tends to solve all the problems, but there's only one of me, and most would-be buyers don't really know me.  And at some point, I don't want to become an exchange (that's an all-or-nothing proposition to me).  I wish BitcoinsDirect.com were more than just a "coming soon - launch" page, that might be the answer.

Every time I have wired a large amount to Gox ($50k+), I have consistently had it available for trading by the next business day in Japan (which often is the same evening for me here in the US).  So I have no qualms about sending them a bunch of money if my plan is to immediately buy and withdraw BTC.  But few others know that.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:41:45 PM

casascius, I don't think that his point was that the actual buying would make any difference. It doesn't, unless the amount is in the millions.

The point was that if he has press connections and is a known person, he could hype it up after he bought coins. It could make the price go up. It's the same with any big Bitcoin announcements, I'm confident that some form of "insider trading" is done in many cases before making those announcements. It's so likely to be profitable that I can't see how it is not happening.

I'm so confident that this is happening that I actually expect some announcements coming up if there is suddenly a lot of buying going on. Most buying is based on need or reaction to something but some of it has to be related to this form of pre hype "insider trading".

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:44:27 PM

Agreed.  We sell our excess "coinflow" to larger buyers (who prefer off exchange transactions).  We do at least one or two six figure
transactions a month and it is a "drop in the bucket".

Also to the OP "plan".  Anyone rich or powerful enough to move the price simply by announcing (i.e. a CEO, hedge fund manager, Warren Buffet, etc) would need to buy a LOT more than $100K.  For those kinds of people only buying $100K would be seen as a joke or gimmick.  The ultra rich aren't really interested in trading their "good" name for a gimmick.

Still liquidity and depth are improving almost monthly.   Six months ago I would have been shocked if someone asked for 6 figures worth of BTC today it is routine (good but routine) news for us.   Haven't seen a seven figure deal yet though.  6, 7, 8 ... it will all happen in time.

Time is on the side of Bitcoin, the longer it lasts, the deeper the market gets, the more the transaction volume the harder it will be for informed people (and yes most of the "rich" are informed) to ignore it or pass it off as a stupid ponzi.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:46:56 PM

I agree that $100k is too small. For someone who has the name to hype up Bitcoin at this stage, it's most likely pocket money. So in this scenario he would buy with at least $500k to $1m and then hype it up.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:50:02 PM

I agree that $100k is too small. For someone who has the name to hype up Bitcoin at this stage, it's most likely pocket money. So in this scenario he would buy with at least $500k to $1m and then hype it up.

I would say multi-millions but then it suddenly isn't so risk free.  Forget the money the ultra rich can absorb a loss like that the way most people absorb a losing lottery ticket.  The risk is in looking like an idiot if/when the system is attacked, exchange rate drops 90%, has a huge setup back, faces regulatory pressure/shutdown (exchanges which in the eyes of the media = bitcoin), etc. 

Safer, easier, and more profitable to start buying quietly off exchange, dumping VC money into startups (no not GLBSE "companies" but real ones), paying someone like Gavin to come provide a presentation on the risks & challenges for Bitcoin (after signing a NDA of course).  Then over the next year  or so as the outlook for Bitcoin becomes more clear make a large public move.  If Bitcoin dies, or is marginalized before then, nobody needs to know.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:50:22 PM

Every time I have wired a large amount to Gox ($50k+), I have consistently had it available for trading by the next business day in Japan (which often is the same evening for me here in the US).  So I have no qualms about sending them a bunch of money if my plan is to immediately buy and withdraw BTC.  But few others know that.

this is exactly my experience as well.  therefore, its just a matter of education for the skeptics.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:52:52 PM

I would say multi-millions but then it suddenly isn't so risk free.  Forget the money the ultra rich can absorb a loss like that the way most people absorb a losing lottery ticket.  The risk is in looking like an idiot if/when the system is attacked, exchange rate drops 90%, has a huge setup back, faces regulatory pressure/shutdown (exchanges which in the eyes of the media = bitcoin), etc.

thanks for providing very useful information. 

agreed that most accumulating will be done in private/anonymously at this stage of the game.  there will be no announcements.
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:09:55 PM

\....\
agreed that most accumulating will be done in private/anonymously at this stage of the game.  there will be no announcements.
But anyway ...

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:52:47 PM

4. Huh
5. Profit!
done falkvinge.net/2011/05/29/why-im-putting-all-my-savings-into-bitcoin/

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:55:32 PM

4. Huh
5. Profit!
done falkvinge.net/2011/05/29/why-im-putting-all-my-savings-into-bitcoin/

5/29/11:  Price high $8.49, low $8.10. 

i hope he held.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:56:56 PM

i hope he held.
iirc he was out in 2011

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
thoughtfan

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 05:18:59 PM

i hope he held.
iirc he was out in 2011
I didn't think he had.  I'm guessing from this tweet of his of Aug 12 that he's still in?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 05:23:13 PM

i hope he held.
iirc he was out in 2011
I didn't think he had.  I'm guessing from this tweet of his of Aug 12 that he's still in?

no, myself is right.  i remember him capitulating and selling out.  just another short term trader with no conviction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 05:40:40 PM

i hope he held.
iirc he was out in 2011

no, myself is right.  i remember him capitulating and selling out.  just another short term trader with no conviction.

darn, look at me; i lied again.  Roll Eyes
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 05:44:20 PM

Isn't this exactly what Kim Dotcom did with LetsBuyit.com?

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
thoughtfan

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 05:53:53 PM

i hope he held.
iirc he was out in 2011

Thanks cypherdoc and myself.  I had wondered because his original article is still one that comes up with many bitcoin-related searches and I have searched a number of times for a more recent update - just out of interest.  Was he ever active here or do you know where he announced his capitulation? 

It seems strange that he sold out completely given that he's still tweeting enthusiastically about Bitcoin.  I know many of you folks have been around some time so please bear with a newbie trying to do some detective work:  Falkvinge spoke Sept 2011 at the European Bitcoin Conference and Amir Taaki was blogging about him in Feb of this year.  I got the impression from the follow-on two series of articles Falkvinge wrote (Hurdles 1, 2, 3, 4 and Drivers 1, 2, 3, 4), which to my eyes were a mixed bag, that he was well up for it so I'd be intrigued to hear his rationale for pulling out if anyone could assist?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: