Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:40:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to upgrade offline wallet  (Read 1162 times)
hawktwo (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 01:52:53 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2016, 12:55:43 AM by hawktwo

My offline wallet is on an older Windows 7 /32 bit machine running Armory 0.90
I have been having an issue signing transactions. The offline wallet does not recognize the unsigned file (it does see it and opens it from USB stick but says that it does not recognize it).
I was hoping to upgrade to version 0.93 on the offline wallet to solve this issue but unfortunately the 0.93 installer would not work on a Windows 7/ 32 bit.
Would upgrading solve this issue at all? What would be the fastest way for me to send coins from my offline wallet?
Thanks!
hawktwo (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 11:45:49 PM

After doing some more research I ended up upgrading Armory on the offline computer to 0.92.3 which solved the problem.
I am now able to sign and broadcast transactions.
For some reason the 0.93.2 Windows 7 installer does not support 32 bit machines (contrary to what is said on Armory's download page).
SoraMan

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 06:21:24 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2016, 06:36:33 AM by SoraMan

I have a windows XP 32bit laptop I would like to use for cold storage but I can't find the old 0.92.3 installer, just the source code on github. You wouldn't still have it would you? I'm out of options other than buy a new laptop for cold storage which is a waist really or compile it myself which I have no idea how to.
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 06:30:36 AM

I have a windows XP 32bit laptop I would like to use for cold storage but I can't find the old 0.92.3 installer, just the source code on github. You wouldn't still have it would you? I'm out of options other than buy a new laptop for cold storage which is a waist really or compile it myself which I have on idea how to.

You can always install debian 32 bit : http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.4.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-8.4.0-i386-netinst.iso
This way, you can use the 32 bit debian image of 0.92.3 https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/downloads/bitcoinarmory-releases/armory_0.93.3_ubuntu-32bit.deb
You could even use the 32 bit debian version of 0.93.3 https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/downloads/bitcoinarmory-releases/armory_0.93.3_ubuntu-32bit.deb

Linux sounds complicated, but you should give it a try, it's not that hard Smiley
full disclosure: i'm a hardware wallet guy (bought one about a month ago), before that, i was an electrum user. I haven't tried armory on debian myself, but since the binaries are available, they should work Wink
SoraMan

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 06:48:14 AM

Thanks I'll look into that. I'll admit I am a windows fan so the whole installing Linux does sound like a lot of work. Undecided Also I did have old programs and data that I wasn't bothering to move right now so not my first choice but it's still a better option than buying anything. I wasn't use the laptop anymore, I just hadn't moved everything yet, so this was giving it new life. Smiley
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 27, 2016, 06:53:22 AM

Thanks I'll look into that. I'll admit I am a windows fan so the whole installing Linux does sound like a lot of work. Undecided Also I did have old programs and data that I wasn't bothering to move right now so not my first choice but it's still a better option than buying anything. I wasn't use the laptop anymore, I just hadn't moved everything yet, so this was giving it new life. Smiley

I'm not completely unbiased (i manage databases on linux servers for a living), but installing a distro like debian should be rather easy for most common desktops/laptops. I know it sounds scary, but newer linux distros actually have a rather user-friendly installation wizard that guides you trough the steps.
The only "problem" is partitioning your harddrive, but if i remember correctly, debian proposes default values that are OK to use.

Don't forget to see if the old laptop doesn't hold any bitcoin (or alcoin) wallets Wink
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 28, 2016, 02:27:03 AM

I find Linux Mint Cinnamon to be a good distro for the uninitiated like I was.

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2016, 07:11:16 PM

After doing some more research I ended up upgrading Armory on the offline computer to 0.92.3 which solved the problem.
I am now able to sign and broadcast transactions.
For some reason the 0.93.2 Windows 7 installer does not support 32 bit machines (contrary to what is said on Armory's download page).

How did you perform the upgrade?  If you connected your offline computer to the internet then basically your bitcoins are hacked and stolen and long gone.

This is a cute meme.
You use a USB drive and download the file to it. Then verify the installer and take it to your offline computer and install. At not point is the offline computer then connected to the internet. This security isn't a meme, it is just security for the paranoid.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: