Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:42:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [VIDEO] Calvin Ayre full video interview from Macau  (Read 2639 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:10:44 PM

Hey all,

From the BitInstant trip to Macau, Roger and I got to sit down with the CalvinAyre.com people and do a quick video interview about Bitcoin. It's all very basic stuff, but CalvinAyre's demographic is the gambling community, so this is prime targeting at this point in Bitcoin's progression Smiley  And wow Angelia Ong was smokin!

"One of the more popular discussion panels at the recent Social Gaming Asia Summit 2012 featured BitInstant’s Erik Voorhees and Roger Ver discussing the Bitcoin ‘crypto currency’ and its potential impact on the global gaming industry. The dynamic duo wowed attendees with their description of a payment system that offered both transnational convenience, security and anonymity. CalvinAyre.com’s roving reporter Angelia Ong was sufficiently intrigued to corral Voorhees and Ver for an in-depth followup."

http://calvinayre.com/2012/12/21/business/bitcoins-impact-on-global-gaming-industry-ao-vid/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:24:44 PM

I love the work that you guys do!

But Erik, why do you say Bitcoin has no fees?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:30:29 PM

I doesnt (if you opt to not include fees in your tx).
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:03:28 PM

Two answers:

1) Bitcoin can be sent without a fee. This is a fact.

2) The normal fee that is included with typical transactions is so god damn tiny that it may as well be nothing. A fee that is a fraction of a penny is not even worth discussing.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:25:41 PM

Two answers:

2) The normal fee that is included with typical transactions is so god damn tiny that it may as well be nothing. A fee that is a fraction of a penny is not even worth discussing.

I don't know.. it just rubs me the wrong way kind of like some kind of a salesman who wasn't entirely honest with me about his product/service. Yes it's true you can send bitcoins without a fee but this has consequences, consequences that for many are not practical to deal with and therefor they pretty much need to pay a fee. And a super small fee isn't equal to no fee.

I don't know why, you can't just be honest and say "The fees are practically nothing and plus they're optional!" - that would sound a lot better to me than telling someone "Bitcoin has no fees!" and then they research it and they learn "Oh wait, seems like there are fees here after all.. Hmm if they lied about this, what else did they lie about??".

Do you know where I'm coming from?

We have a hard enough time with skepticism and wild theories as it is, I just don't see why it would be a good idea to risk making things even harder on us and our case for Bitcoin.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:30:20 PM

Two answers:

I don't know.. it just rubs me the wrong way kind of like some kind of a salesman who wasn't entirely honest with me about his product/service. Yes it's true you can send bitcoins without a fee but this has consequences, consequences that for many are not practical to deal with and therefor they pretty much need to pay a fee. And a super small fee isn't equal to no fee.

I don't know why, you can't just be honest and say "The fees are practically nothing and plus they're optional!" - that would sound a lot better to me than telling someone "Bitcoin has no fees!" and then they research it and they learn "Oh wait, seems like there are fees here after all.. Hmm if they lied about this, what else did they lie about??".

We have a hard enough time with skepticism and wild theories as it is, I just don't see why it would be a good idea to risk making things even harder on us and our case for Bitcoin.

This wording is way better.

evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:39:08 PM

Two answers:

This wording is way better.

I hear you Hazek. Sometimes I say it in the way you described, sometimes I say "no fees".  Again, because they're so tiny I don't see a signficiant difference between "no fee" and "super super tiny micro fee".

If you tell people that it has "extremely low fees" they are just as likely to think that means like, 1% or something, because that is extremely low for money transfer. Consider $10,000 transfers, and 1% becomes significant. But with Bitcoin, $1,000,000 can be sent with a "fee" of half a penny. As far as I'm concerned, this is a fee-free transfer.

See where I'm coming from? Smiley
kyotoku

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:47:32 PM

Erik, don't you get a lot "Free! What is the catch?" looks when you say that.

I generally get that when I try to say it is free. People wonder what are
the incentives to run the network.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:49:48 PM

I do but I disagree with you on this one. Half a penny, however insignificant and small, just does not equal zero.

But anyway, I'm a big fun of what you do, I just like to speak my mind and this one line of an otherwise excellent interview irked me a bit so I had to bring it up.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:55:11 PM

Yeah, the no fees part also rubs me the wrong way.
And let's not even talk about the fees for exchanging fiat into Bitcoins or the other way around.
Killdozer

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 05:06:46 PM

Everyone who wishes to promote bitcoin should never say "no fees". That's is simply not true.
And while fees for transfering bitcoin right now are negligible, that is not going to be the case in the future! Remember, the block reward is going away and by that time fees will have to become higher to keep the network (the miners) alive.
Saying "negligible fees", or even "100 times less than any existing common payment methods" intead of "no fees" is just so easy, it is not worth imo to lie about this and risk compromising your image and the image of bitcoin.

mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 06:11:51 PM

I think the best description is "fees equal to fractions of a penny."  Everyone knows what a penny is and most people know what fractions are Smiley

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 12:25:48 AM

I do but I disagree with you on this one. Half a penny, however insignificant and small, just does not equal zero.

But anyway, I'm a big fun of what you do, I just like to speak my mind and this one line of an otherwise excellent interview irked me a bit so I had to bring it up.

Mathematically speaking 0.000000000000000000000000000000001 is considered zero, even though it's really not.

When you're only given a few short moments to explain an idea you don't need to drone on about how 0.0005 BTC is worth less than half a penny, so the fees are so low that they can be considered negligible.

Zero fees! Done!

If you've hooked the person enough to really look into it, they'll figure it out for themselves.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 01:50:05 AM

I usually try to use the qualifier "essentially free" when explaining bitcoins.

This doesn't bog things down with all the details, conveys the message, and is still truthful.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 01:56:29 AM

I usually try to use the qualifier "essentially free" when explaining bitcoins.

This doesn't bog things down with all the details, conveys the message, and is still truthful.

this is how i would handle it. "basically free".

and given how our banksters mis-state things all the time...
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 06:55:14 AM

Nice interview, gratz folks, keep up the very good work, I enjoy a lot..
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 08:38:50 AM

Mathematically speaking 0.000000000000000000000000000000001 is considered zero, even though it's really not.
I've seen so many of these terms floating around here that I have to react. This pisses me off. You could say "practically speaking", but most certainly not "mathematically speaking". Same goes for "mathematical certainty". Mathematical certainty is exactly 1, nothing less, making nothing in real life mathematically certain. Mathematics are exact, there is no room for such approximations. /rant

When you're only given a few short moments to explain an idea you don't need to drone on about how 0.0005 BTC is worth less than half a penny, so the fees are so low that they can be considered negligible.

Zero fees! Done!

If you've hooked the person enough to really look into it, they'll figure it out for themselves.
You could also say "Almost zero fees! Done!". This way no one will mark you as a liar later on.
reg

Activity: 463

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 08:42:02 AM

Zero fees! Done!

sorry I agree with hazek,   the "number" you quoted is only considered zero mathematically for practical purposes!. for telling the truth zero is either nothing or it is not!. its best to start off as you intend to continue and say there may be negligible fee's in transmitting BTC . I can live with that . reg.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 11:00:36 AM

I think the best description is "fees equal to fractions of a penny."  Everyone knows what a penny is and most people know what fractions are Smiley

I say this too, adding that this is a per-transaction fee, not depending on the amount.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 02:07:36 PM

Erik, don't you get a lot "Free! What is the catch?" looks when you say that.

I generally get that when I try to say it is free. People wonder what are
the incentives to run the network.

When you tell people that sending an email is free do they ask, "what's the catch?"  

And therein lies your answer. If someone asks, "well, what's the catch?" you should respond by comparing it to email. All money is digital anyway, so why does it cost so much to transfer data from one bank's server to another bank's server? It's ridiculous. When people realize that they are paying significant money so that a bank can make a database entry (and take three days to do so), they will realize that it's not Bitcoin's free transactions which are "weird" but rather it's the banks' operations which should be viewed with far greater skepticism.

If someone came to you and asked how much it cost to send an email, would you tell them it's free? Because it's not. There is a tiny marginal cost to doing so, both in the extra few CPU cycles which cost electricity and also built into the cost of the ISP's monthly bill.

Nothing is perfectly free, and nothing is perfectly safe. But I tell people Bitcoin transfers are free, and I tell them they're safe. Once they understand that they're dealing with an amazing new system, and they'd like to discuss the nuances of it, then I'm happy to do so.

(also let me clarify, that I have nothing against people saying there are tiny fees with Bitcoin... It's not wrong to say that upfront, I just think either way is fine and it often depends on the context of the conversation and the audience)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: