Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:10:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Discuss "Give a Goat"  (Read 1236 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 06:40:46 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2012, 07:00:40 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

heifer international do not supply the goats.. their partners do

guess who the partners are.

OXFAM

heifer make profits.. oops that word should not be used when they call themselves non-profit.. so lets use the phrase, huge managerial labour costs.

so get rid of the middleman and put the cash through OXFAM send 2 goats to the needy instead of just 1

This thread will have nothing to do with the fine efforts put forward by CoinLab, Heifer Internatinal, OXFAM, or any other entity that currently utilizes a 'Give a Goat' program.

Together, let's explore if there's a better way to accomplish the same feat but on the local level incorporating Bitcoin. I'll present a brief outline, whereupon the pros and cons of such an endeavor will be discussed.

From what I've read, the 'Give a Goat' program is available on all six continents, not just to a handful of African nations one may expect. And, for the most part, small villages and remote rural areas are the norm as to the location of the recipients whom receive the goats. Thus, it's safe to assume that the main suppliers of the goats are also local, for it wouldn't make sense to truck in the goats from afar.

The goat suppliers are definitely a for-profit entity, receiving prevailing compensation for their goats paid via the charitable entities, possibly at the lowest possible price point.

Enter Bitcoin. What if a charitable organization worked in concert only with the goat supplier? Surely the price of a goat is well cheaper than $50 USD in the most famish regions, possibly in the 20-30 dollar range. If that's the case, by having in place some form of accountability, the goat supplier will receive full price (prevailing) for his/her goats plus 10%-15% iff they accept Bitcoin. The onus will be put on the goat supplier as to how they'll be able to accept bitcoins, as well as how they convert it to fiat or use it locally for commerce. At the very least, a local agent working as a liaison between the charitable organization and the actual goal supplier may be in order, but what's paramount is that the goat supplier receive prevailing compensation.

By eliminating a few layers, I envision this to be least costly, more efficient and, moreover, a way to better a local economy where such improvements are needed.

I look forward to reading the pros and cons of such an endeavor.

~Bruno K~
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 06:47:58 PM

ill just link my reply to the other thread

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131801.msg1413874#msg1413874

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 03:16:02 PM

So this is why chaang noi got banned. People were planning to get his goat.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 04:28:58 PM

LOL. I've been waiting for a comment about Chaang Noi in the goat discussions^^

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 04:36:38 PM

One could argue that they censured Goat's throat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: