Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:39:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help with understanding how split transactions work  (Read 519 times)
frothy_lout (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 04:57:38 PM

OK so I am trying understand the mechanics of a bitcoin transaction and am confused.

Please see screen shot of transaction on blockchain.info here:  https://i.imgur.com/Dvlw012.jpg

I sent BTCs from my bitcoin core wallet to a paper wallet (with some BTCs left behind).

What I am confused about is where the remaining BTCs left in original wallet have gone.

In the screenshot you can see this transaction was split between my paper wallet public address and some other address which I did not enter and have no idea where it came from.

What is this address?  How is it generated?  What does it mean?  Who's is it? 

I am pretty sure these are still my coins given that my local bitcoin core client lists the appropriate balance. 

However, I had entered my bitcoin core public address as a watch-only receiving address on blockchain.info and now that balance reads 0.00 BTC (whereas I had expected the remaining BTCs would still be listed there).   

Much thanks for any help understanding how this works.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 05:08:38 PM

It's a 'change address'.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change

It's in your wallet and it's created automatically.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 05:08:52 PM

OK so I am trying understand the mechanics of a bitcoin transaction and am confused.

Please see screen shot of transaction on blockchain.info here:  https://i.imgur.com/Dvlw012.jpg

Welcome.

A blockchain explorer does not know which are your addresses and which not so it may confuse you.

I sent BTCs from my bitcoin core wallet to a paper wallet (with some BTCs left behind).

What I am confused about is where the remaining BTCs left in original wallet have gone.

To a change address.

In the screenshot you can see this transaction was split between my paper wallet public address and some other address which I did not enter and have no idea where it came from.

What is this address?  How is it generated?  What does it mean?  Who's is it?  

Change.
Same as every other address.
It means that everything is working as it should be.
Yours.

I am pretty sure these are still my coins given that my local bitcoin core client lists the appropriate balance.  

However, I had entered my bitcoin core public address as a watch-only receiving address on blockchain.info and now that balance reads 0.00 BTC (whereas I had expected the remaining BTCs would still be listed there).  

Much thanks for any help understanding how this works.

Firstly to help you see the address in core, enable coin control.

Settings -> Options -> Wallet -> check Enable Coin Control features -> confirm with OK

It might have to restart for that, Im not sure.

Once you have it enabled go to

Send -> Inputs -> select Tree mode and search for the address you know (13yv...). There is a little triangle on the left side, click it to expand the line. It will show the address 14C9... with a label (change).

Like this:

Now, what is change? In Bitcoin you have no balance even though the wallet shows it to you like that. Its just a simplification for you, the network works with transactions only. Think about it like this. You received a 0.033 BTC blob in the past (see Total inputs on blockchain.info) and now you want to use it to send 0.02 to your paperwallet. Bitcoin core has to use the entire blob and reusing address is considered not so good, so it sends the rest (minus the fee you pay) to a newly generated address, the change address. Bitcoin core has up to 100 address pre generated and hidden from you for this and other purposes. You should still make regular backups as these 100 addresses are used after some time which might make an backup too old useless.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
frothy_lout (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 03:34:35 PM

Welcome.

A blockchain explorer does not know which are your addresses and which not so it may confuse you.
Now, what is change? In Bitcoin you have no balance even though the wallet shows it to you like that. Its just a simplification for you, the network works with transactions only. Think about it like this. You received a 0.033 BTC blob in the past (see Total inputs on blockchain.info) and now you want to use it to send 0.02 to your paperwallet. Bitcoin core has to use the entire blob and reusing address is considered not so good, so it sends the rest (minus the fee you pay) to a newly generated address, the change address. Bitcoin core has up to 100 address pre generated and hidden from you for this and other purposes. You should still make regular backups as these 100 addresses are used after some time which might make an backup too old useless.

I see now!  Thanks for the meaty explanation and help.
teonoaro

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 06:10:01 PM

Change Addresses are created automatically when you initiate a transaction. It's obviously your address only. Don't get confused with the blockchain. Just check and ensure you have sent the right amount to the desired address on the blockchain. If you can understand technically about wallets, you can have a better understanding of how it works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: