Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:19:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running latest core but node doesn't show up on node check  (Read 1896 times)
Moria843 (OP)

Activity: 442
Merit: 250

Found Lost beach - quiet now

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 05:17:30 PM

I'm running Bitcoin core 0.11.2 either as the daemon through Armory or sometimes using Bitcoin-QT. When I look in QT it will show that I'm up to date and connected to 8 nodes. However, when I search for my IP in blockchain.info I don't see it and when I check my node on https://bitnodes.21.co/ I get MyIP:8333 is unreachable.

I want to contribute to the network and thought that I was but now I'm wondering if I'm a read only node and port or firewall settings are keeping me from contributing as a full node.

I have no problem quickly broadcasting my transactions through Armory and receiving transaction info.

Why doesn't my node show up?

Hot time, summer in the city, back of my mine getting hot & gritty!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 05:23:27 PM

In order to accept incoming connections you need to configure your firewalls to allow connections to port 8333. You are still running a full node and contributing, just not as much as you could if you accept incoming connections.

Moria843 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 05:46:24 PM

I tried opening the TCP port 8333 using the port forwarding rules in my router with still no luck.

Do I need to open the UDP port 8333 also?

Could my Norton Security firewall settings be stopping it and what would I need to do there?

Bergmann_Christoph

Activity: 409
Merit: 286

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 06:14:08 PM

Here you can test it

http://www.lurkmore.com/mining/port8333/

do you run a vpn or somethink like it?

Did you open both in and out on 8333?

--
Mein Buch: Bitcoin-Buch.org
Bester Bitcoin-Marktplatz in der Eurozone: Bitcoin.de
Bestes Bitcoin-Blog im deutschsprachigen Raum: bitcoinblog.de

Tips dafür, dass ich den Blocksize-Thread mit Niveau und Unterhaltung fülle und Fehlinformationen bekämpfe:
Bitcoin: 1BesenPtt5g9YQYLqYZrGcsT3YxvDfH239
Ethereum: XE14EB5SRHKPBQD7L3JLRXJSZEII55P1E8C
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 06:14:57 PM

I tried opening the TCP port 8333 using the port forwarding rules in my router with still no luck.

Do I need to open the UDP port 8333 also?

No.

Could my Norton Security firewall settings be stopping it and what would I need to do there?

Yes, port forwarding is only redirecting the traffic from the router to your machine. If your machine also has a firewall you need to open incoming 8333 TCP there as well.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Moria843 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 01:12:21 AM

Looking at program rules for bitcoind and QT, I could see that there were no restrictions to incoming traffic. I also tried temporarily disabling the firewall. I still get MyIP:8333 is unreachable on bitnodes.21.co.

My router is a D-Link DIR-655, Hardware Version: B1, Firmware Version: 2.11NA.

After setting up port forwarding in my router for 8333 directly to the computer running Bitcoin core and eliminating my firewall as the problem, I'm not sure what to try next. 

Is there something else I can check that could be preventing my Bitcoin client from accepting incoming connections from other nodes?

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2016, 01:17:38 AM

Looking at program rules for bitcoind and QT, I could see that there were no restrictions to incoming traffic. I also tried temporarily disabling the firewall. I still get MyIP:8333 is unreachable on bitnodes.21.co.

After setting up port forwarding in my router for 8333 directly to the computer running Bitcoin core and eliminating my firewall as the problem, I'm not sure what to try next. 

Is there something else I can check that could be preventing my Bitcoin client from accepting incoming connections from other nodes?
There isn't anything else that I can think of. Are you sure that you disabled all of the firewalls, including the OS firewall, Antivirus firewall, etc? Also, it may be possible that your ISP is also blocking connections in which case you can't do anything about it. Another thing is that bitnodes may not be connected to you yet which would explain why they can't see you. If you are willing to share your IP address, I can also try connecting to you and seeing if it works.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 01:30:01 AM

Can you connect to that port from other machines on your network?  (Just to ensure that the firewall is really off for that port).  Eg with telnet.

Moria843 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 01:44:40 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2016, 02:37:46 AM by Moria843

I tried http://www.lurkmore.com/mining/port8333/index.php as suggested above and it tells me that "Port 8333 is CLOSED!"

I did the following in my router where 192.168.0.80 is where I'm running core:

Guess more work on my end to try to open port 8333. I'll check all other firewalls, telnet, and with my ISP if they check out.

kiblirov

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 03:52:16 PM

I hope this article may help you to open the closed port 8333. http://www.pcworld.com/article/244314/how_to_forward_ports_on_your_router.html

Also, there is a reddit discussion page in detail, I can't remember the link to that thread. Try to search in reddit. If I find it right, I will update here.

ISP's won't block any ports unless until it is intentionally blocked. You don't need to check with ISP until you thoroughly try with your router and os firewall.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2016, 05:31:20 PM

I just realised after reading this thread and checking my node status on that website that port 8333 is also closed for me so all ive got is a normal wallet that takes up massive amounts of space.  I just assumed that core used already opened ports. Now at least i know to port forward for it.

oops

Moria843 (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 09:07:37 PM

I tried everything above included setting up the computer with a static IP, port forwarding in my router, turning off the firewalls, all the advice offered on the subject at at bitcoin.org, and finally even setting up the computer running core as a DMZ host in the router. After 45 minutes of running core I still only get 8 connection, all outgoing, 0 incoming. And, when I go to the http://www.lurkmore.com/mining/port8333/index.php I'm still told that port 8333 is not open.

All seems to point to my ISP blocking.

Is there any way to confirm if it's being caused by the ISP blocking port 8333?

Does anyone else have TWC as an ISP and running a full node?

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 09:49:33 PM

Can you look at the router logs and see if you are getting messages about the firewall portion and see if it is giving any messages when you try to probe that port? 

I didn't see if you answered from above, but can you connect to the bitcoin port from other machines on your network?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 06:51:43 AM

I tried everything above included setting up the computer with a static IP, port forwarding in my router, turning off the firewalls, all the advice offered on the subject at at bitcoin.org, and finally even setting up the computer running core as a DMZ host in the router. After 45 minutes of running core I still only get 8 connection, all outgoing, 0 incoming. And, when I go to the http://www.lurkmore.com/mining/port8333/index.php I'm still told that port 8333 is not open.

All seems to point to my ISP blocking.

Is there any way to confirm if it's being caused by the ISP blocking port 8333?

Does anyone else have TWC as an ISP and running a full node?

I dont, but I have a cable ISP as well. In order to forward my port I had to call them and request a IPv4 address. Apparently they do carrier grade nat over IPv6 if you dont do that. Might be similar for you.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: