Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:22:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Washer/Dryer power outlet for mining rigs?  (Read 3097 times)
GotoR00t (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:29:53 PM

I've been using EVGA Supernova 1600W power supplies to run my S7s and they're working well but I've got new ones on the way and miners running in 3 rooms of the house. It's fine now that winter is mostly here but It would be better to have all the folding rigs in the basement. Right now I can have 2 s7s down there on 2 different breakers but would it be possible to use the wall socket for the washer and dryer to power 2 more miners down there? Is anyone doing this now? Any suggestions on adapters to go from the heavy duty socket to PDU or normal 3 prong?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 08:19:14 PM

With a caveat that I am not an electrician, here is an interesting combo without buying expensive PDUs, but perhaps using PDU is better.

First, going from dryer plug (mine is NEMA 14-30) to L14-30 using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14330-1-5-Foot-Adapter-Connector/dp/B001TO7130

Then, going from L14-30 to a regular plug (NEMA 5-15) using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-1-5-Feet-Connector-Generator-Extension/dp/B005HSK29E
Apparently, L14-30P is rated up to 7500W and NEMA 5-15 is rated for up to 12A continuous current.
I am not sure why two connectors are marked blue and two red, though

However, maybe it is better to find PDU (with L14-30 prongs) that will connect to the first adapter and go from there.
marvykkio

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 09:01:23 PM

a simple schuko supports up to 3500W
buy 4 outlets Shuko,
buy the unipolar cable 4 mm, or 6 mm
buy 2 thermal magnets 32 Am
diviti and 2 taken on a magnet
and the other two on another magnet.
thus despatched about $ 40, maybe even less
and six affixed.
rockyforever

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 09:35:55 PM

I've been using EVGA Supernova 1600W power supplies to run my S7s and they're working well but I've got new ones on the way and miners running in 3 rooms of the house. It's fine now that winter is mostly here but It would be better to have all the folding rigs in the basement. Right now I can have 2 s7s down there on 2 different breakers but would it be possible to use the wall socket for the washer and dryer to power 2 more miners down there? Is anyone doing this now? Any suggestions on adapters to go from the heavy duty socket to PDU or normal 3 prong?

what is your dryer outlet? There are a few different models depending on year. I have an adapter and plug a PDU to the adapter to run a few S7s. Works great.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

I used this adapter. Than plugged pdu straight into this. They have a few different model plugs depending on outlet.

Also check your 240 and how many amps (from box) will determine which you need. 15 or 30. DO NOT buy a 15A rated adapter for 30A dryer outlet plug.

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 01:14:17 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2016, 01:27:13 AM by toptek

it safer to put in another line at maybe the same cost of what your tiring with less risk to your home if your box has the room Smiley .. if it doesn't that might become another issue at some point and buy a used PDU , but then again I'm not sure what you might call a lot of money for a PDU. I would plug the PDU direct into the wall they all  come with  long enough cords so you can pretty much set it up all most any place you want to and at no risk of extending some thing that is made to be plugged directly in to the wall with no in between. to me plugging a PDU into another plug just to use it, is like using a extension cord to plug in another extension cord  for more plugs which can be very unsafe . but that's me . and PDU's do have extensions you can add on them that are safe but be care full not to over load one .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Entropize

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2016, 01:26:54 AM

This is the plug and the breaker is for 30 amps.

Got friends and family bugging you to explain Bitcoin? Point them to https://bitcoinfaq.info for some answers. I've built the site to have simple answers to complete newcomers and info on what is involved in getting started with mining.

I'm openly taking questions and updating the site with answers and walk-throughs.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 01:31:25 AM

Don't they have a splitter for that plug? Because he would have to plug and unplug the miners everytime he wanted to use the dryer.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
rockyforever

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2016, 01:51:35 AM

This is the plug and the breaker is for 30 amps.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

this is the correct adapter then.

I used this PDU: Tripp Lite PDU1230 Power Distribution Unit PDU 1U 20 Outlets 208/240V 30 Amp

I got it for under 100$ (shipping included) on ebay brand new. Comes with a 15 ft power cord, was easily long enough for my situation but you will have to see how many feet you need. I have a gas dryer that runs on 120v so my plug was unused. I would make sure you can keep your miners running because unplugging and plugging wouldnt be ideal. good luck!

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 02:05:46 AM

this is the correct adapter then.

I used this PDU: Tripp Lite PDU1230 Power Distribution Unit PDU 1U 20 Outlets 208/240V 30 Amp

I got it for under 100$ (shipping included) on ebay brand new. Comes with a 15 ft power cord, was easily long enough for my situation but you will have to see how many feet you need. I have a gas dryer that runs on 120v so my plug was unused. I would make sure you can keep your miners running because unplugging and plugging wouldnt be ideal. good luck!

That is one of the nicer Pdu brand new . it should be just as good used.if it the one with a amp meter.

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 02:12:32 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2016, 02:33:05 AM by toptek

Don't they have a splitter for that plug? Because he would have to plug and unplug the miners everytime he wanted to use the dryer

either rewire the plug or replace the wall plug to match the PDU plug , is what i would do for peace of mind or run a new line to be even  safer then he doesn't have to worry about it being plugged in  or  forgets to unplug the PDU when he  uses the dryer or turn  off the miners , don't run a dryer on the same line as the miners at the same time , i couldn't get a friend or Electrician to give me good advice on sharing a dryer plug other then it's safer and cheaper, over time to run a new line for the miners . but if hes not using it, then why not replace the wall plug to match the PdU plug.

rockyforever

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2016, 07:10:31 PM

Don't they have a splitter for that plug? Because he would have to plug and unplug the miners everytime he wanted to use the dryer

either rewire the plug or replace the wall plug to match the PDU plug , is what i would do for peace of mind or run a new line to be even  safer then he doesn't have to worry about it being plugged in  or  forgets to unplug the PDU when he  uses the dryer or turn  off the miners , don't run a dryer on the same line as the miners at the same time , i couldn't get a friend or Electrician to give me good advice on sharing a dryer plug other then it's safer and cheaper, over time to run a new line for the miners . but if hes not using it, then why not replace the wall plug to match the PdU plug.

Some people aren't comfortable changing out plugs themselves plus depending on whether you rent or own, you might not be able to change this or the next owners might have a dryer that needs the plug. An adapter is an easy solution, plus the adapter is used all the time for electric cars so it works well.

Entropize

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2016, 09:48:11 PM

I rent so it's not worth it for me to change the wiring, I'm looking for something quick and easy, I don't mind buying a $200 part if it can run 2 s7s and not trip the breakers or force us to keep unplugging and re-plugging stuff in to use it.

Got friends and family bugging you to explain Bitcoin? Point them to https://bitcoinfaq.info for some answers. I've built the site to have simple answers to complete newcomers and info on what is involved in getting started with mining.

I'm openly taking questions and updating the site with answers and walk-throughs.
Keegan_Betarigs

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 03:19:35 AM

Talk to a electrician, They will not recommend doing this but you can however wire your normal 110v wall outlets for 220v.

you can also try finding a standard outlet Nema 5-15r that is rated for 220. that would be a safer option.

Either way your still be getting the added Voltage bonus and you wont have to buy some special adapter to plug the psus in.

If you want to get really serious about mining in your house, you should get another breaker panel. 100 or 200Amp will suffice. Have the ELectrician wire it for 208volt 3Phase. you will basically have a 3 pull breaker that can take 30 amps on each pole. 24Amps as you should technically follow the 80% capacity rule. youll be able to get around 5-6 s7's on each phase this way.

My setup is in a datacenter so power is not an issue. but here is how ours is. 208volt 3 phase- Nema l21-30 Receptacles- 3 Phase 30Amp Pdu's

The Pdus can rather expensive if your buying brand new, i would recommend finding a high capacity pdu used from ebay and then going from there. 

hope this helps shed a little light.

Thanks, Keegan
joyteq

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 03:57:38 AM

Yes, I've currently doing this (not with a Dryer power outlet, but with an electric Range/Stove outlet).

Basically, you need two things:

Thing #1: Tripp-Lite PDU1230, see http://www.tripplite.com/pdu-power-distribution-unit-30a-1u-c19-c13-outlets-nema-l6-30p-plug-208v-240v-single-phase~PDU1230/ -- you should be able to search for it on Amazon and buy it from various vendors.  Costs range from US$150 to US$210.

Thing #2: Adapter to plug into your dryer outlet that converts it into a NEMA L6-30 plug that the Tripp-Lite PDU1230 uses.  I haven't found many places that offer adapters like this.  I ended up ordering from a website that specializes in adapters for EV car (electronic car) owners.  Look at the evseupgade.com website's adapters page: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=7 -- you'll need to order the specific type of adapter that matches your Dryer outlet.

I have three 240V plugs in my house--Dryer, Range, and EV Car Charging outlet--and all three are totally different and none match the L6-30 needed by the Tripp-Lite PDU1230.  Ugh.

It's possible you can find some other combination of things, but I'm just reporting what has worked fine for me.  I'm currently a few KNC Neptune cubes from the Tripp-Lite.  In the past, I've powered a pair of SP10's and a pair of SP30's off of it (but they were too loud and eventually moved those to a data center).
Entropize

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 05:20:16 PM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction joyteq. I've ordered an adapter and a pdu with some cabling, I'll update with shots of the setup once it's all up and running.

rockyforever

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 05:43:07 PM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction joyteq. I've ordered an adapter and a pdu with some cabling, I'll update with shots of the setup once it's all up and running.

all he did was say the something thing I said to you 2x and had already linked the items....

This is like my wife. Ignore my advice but once a friend reiterates it, agrees and thanks them.....

Entropize

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 07:37:29 PM

Sorry rockyforever, Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions.

rockyforever

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 08:26:10 PM

Sorry rockyforever, Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions.

J/K Tongue

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 05:06:22 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2016, 05:27:56 AM by toptek

Some people aren't comfortable changing out plugs themselves plus depending on whether you rent or own, you might not be able to change this or the next owners might have a dryer that needs the plug. An adapter is an easy solution, plus the adapter is used all the time for electric cars so it works well.

I said do it your self were ? Smiley. he doesn't really say were he lives rent or own wise, he does say house and most rented houses allow you to do this kind of stuff, ask the landlord first he might just allow it, apartments don't or any apartment, i ever lived in didn't and all the rented houses ,I lived in, did, just ask first.

I'll bet some place down the road he will end up doing it right. and I did ask a electrician he told me it is safer with out a adapter, I wouldn't do it my self, I would pay a electrician because, I don't feel comfortable changing out plugs my self, shop for electricians and I won't own a electric car and it may be a adapter but you can bet it plugs direct, some how .

All i did, was give good sound advice, take as you see it .Smiley.

Entropize

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 01:12:09 AM

Again thanks to everyone who made suggestions and provided links. I ended up getting the setup that was suggested a couple of times and an adapter for the washer line in the basement.

And hooking up a couple of 800w server PSUs to it, It's working great and my little farm is growing!

Got a 3rd S7 and new PSUs on the way and hope to be up to 4 by the end of the month.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: