Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:04:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin taking up 5.6gb on my computer  (Read 8529 times)
tealover (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 10:40:10 PM

In the C:\Users\Matthew\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin folder it's taking up 5.6gb

Is it ok to send all my coins to MtGox then delete this folder and keep mining?

I'm low on space (It's an SSD drive so 5.6gb is big to me)

Thanks and Merry Christmas
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 02:24:48 AM

You may be required to verify your account with them.  Do you have a problem with sending your ID and utility statement to them?

There is also counterparty risk.   You are trusting that their methods are secure and that there won't be an "E-Gold moment" (where the authorities perform a raid and confiscate the equipment and data.).   Do I think that will happen?  Probably not in the next year or so.  Do I store more than I plan to trade with an exchange?  Nope.

If you still decide to go with storing coins at an E-Wallet provider like Mt. Gox, please make sure to use multi-factor authentication (2FA).  Mt. Gox supports Yubikey and Google Authenticator (OTP) 2FA methods.

Would you consider an SPV (Simplified Payment Verification) client?  MultiBit does not store the full blockchain yet provides much of the same capability as the Bitcoin.org client.  (The main thing that is lacking is an encrypted wallet, but that is being worked on).

There is also a hybrid E-Wallet provider, Blockchain.info/wallet.
 - http://www.Blockchain.info/wallet

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4284
Merit: 3472

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 02:55:18 AM

why not just move the data files to a normal drive on the system. that is what is taking the space. that way you keep your the bitcoin client and wallet on your computer just like now.

use the "-datadir=<dir>" switch.

see here

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 03:21:11 AM

don't use mtgox, because they randomly freeze accounts until you can provide photo id. don't use online wallets either. they are easier to use, but you lose complete control of your bitcoins. it's just better to use electrum.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 03:24:12 AM

In the C:\Users\Matthew\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin folder it's taking up 5.6gb

I'm low on space (It's an SSD drive so 5.6gb is big to me)

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Why not get the script from bitaddress.org and make paper wallet(s)? You can print out two copies and keep them in two safe separate locations. You can easily add to these addresses as needed, and when you need to spend, just import to mtgox, blockchain.info, or similar services that you can trust with the amounts involved.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 03:26:06 AM

just instal a copy of electrum in another folder, and transfer your coins to that address.  Once done, you can delete your overly large files.  Why did it get so large?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 01:45:56 AM

just instal a copy of electrum in another folder, and transfer your coins to that address.  Once done, you can delete your overly large files.  Why did it get so large?

Blockchain .dat files are now getting near 6GB total...

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2012, 06:29:35 PM

Whew ! Glad its not just me. lol

I thought the blockchain was supposed to be <4gb. Whats up with that !?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 09:19:35 PM

That was several months ago.  It grows quickly because there are thirty to fifty thousand transactions each day and the blocks are stored in raw form (not optimized).
 - http://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size

This space issue will be reduced to some degree with Bitcoin v0.8 but more importantly the performance will be much faster such that you feel you need to have the Bitcoin data on your SSD drive.
 - datadir= 
should help you in the meantime.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 12:30:34 AM

That was several months ago.  It grows quickly because there are thirty to fifty thousand transactions each day and the blocks are stored in raw form (not optimized).
 - http://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size

This space issue will be reduced to some degree with Bitcoin v0.8 but more importantly the performance will be much faster such that you feel you need to have the Bitcoin data on your SSD drive.
 - datadir= 
should help you in the meantime.

Hio Stephen

That chart says the blockchain is still less than 4gb.

I am not concerned about saving space, btw. I just want to be sure there isn't anything fishy with the extra 1.5gb that I'm seeing.

pEACe

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 12:44:41 AM

Ya, it is the raw data in the blockchain.  The files include the index (blkindex.dat), which is over 1.4 GB at the moment.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 05:05:25 AM

Ya, it is the raw data in the blockchain.  The files include the index (blkindex.dat), which is over 1.4 GB at the moment.

Wow, that;s a lot of growth since I switched to Electrum a couple months ago.  Sounds like pruning is becoming more pressing

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 11:09:02 PM

Wow, that;s a lot of growth since I switched to Electrum a couple months ago.  Sounds like pruning is becoming more pressing

Is this a pressing problem? My mediocre desktop runs a node 24/7 without me even noticing.  Currently using a 500 GB drive that was standard three years ago. Plenty of space left, and upgrades are cheap when needed.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 11:11:51 PM

Yeah, it's a problem.
Less people are willing to run a full node and newcomers may get discouraged if they see that they have to wait 2-3 days to use their bitcoins. Sure, there is Electrum and other wallets which do not require the user to store the entire blockchain on their PC but most of them are unaware of it.

Signature space available for rent.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 11:40:43 PM

Ya, it is the raw data in the blockchain.  The files include the index (blkindex.dat), which is over 1.4 GB at the moment.

Wow, that;s a lot of growth since I switched to Electrum a couple months ago.  Sounds like pruning is becoming more pressing

Basically what happened is that SatoshiDice started. The chain has been growing ridiculously because of that. The number of daily transactions has more than quadrupled after Satoshidice went online.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 12:48:43 AM

Unless we ban gambling and interest, BTC like fiat currency is doooomedEmbarrassed

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 01:00:06 AM

Is this a pressing problem? My mediocre desktop runs a node 24/7 without me even noticing.  Currently using a 500 GB drive that was standard three years ago. Plenty of space left, and upgrades are cheap when needed.

While 5 gigs isn't really a big issue, bootstrapping is a serious issue already and I expect that the trend towards growing block sizes will continue.  Light clients are destined to be the most common method for an end user to interact with the bitcoin network regardless, but blockchain pruning will permit more people to run full clients for a longer period of time.  This has all been expected, I just didn't expect it so quickly.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 01:01:37 AM

I think this is more of a hardware problem than a software problem. A good rule of thumb is: always target the computers made 2 years ago for a technical audience, 5 years ago for active internet users, and 10 years ago for the general populace. Bitcoin had previously thrived well enough on 2009 and 2010 hardware, but in the near future this will age with adoption.

Already, 2007 and 2008 hardware is beginning to become commonplace, leading to complaints that Bitcoin is slow or it takes too much space. SSDs made in 2010 are rarely greater than 5 USD/GB, so those aren't problems. Those in 2008, however, can be 20 USD or even more per GB, the best being smaller than 20 GB.

Hardware will continue to get older as the general populace begins to adopt Bitcoin. Eventually, 2004 hard drives such as 80 GB non-SSD drives will begin to run Bitcoin. This is where the lite nodes come in.

Bitcoin's growth will never outpace hard drive growth. But in the near future, the hard drives will be shrinking, not growing, as the technology that runs Bitcoin becomes older and older. It will be a rough 5 years.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 12:15:35 AM

Unless we ban gambling and interest, BTC like fiat currency is doooomedEmbarrassed

DOS-like constructs such as 'satoshi dice' will just shift power to the 'money changers' where it can be more easily pilfered a bit at a time if not flat out stolen.  Not being a gambler myself, it is easy to hypothesis that that is part of the goal of 'satoshi dice'.  It would be really interesting to know how 'Satoshi' would like his name pinned on this construct.

OTOH, 'satoshi dice' really is something which is getting the attention of the more philosophical and technically capable of the crypto-currency community.  On balance, I personally sense that it is a positive contribution at an opportune time for that reason alone.  But then again my attention has wandered away from crypto-currencies generally of late so I've paid even less attention to it than I normally would.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 11:38:05 AM

DOS-like constructs such as 'satoshi dice' will just shift power to the 'money changers' where it can be more easily pilfered a bit at a time if not flat out stolen.  Not being a gambler myself, it is easy to hypothesis that that is part of the goal of 'satoshi dice'.  It would be really interesting to know how 'Satoshi' would like his name pinned on this construct.

OTOH, 'satoshi dice' really is something which is getting the attention of the more philosophical and technically capable of the crypto-currency community.  On balance, I personally sense that it is a positive contribution at an opportune time for that reason alone.  But then again my attention has wandered away from crypto-currencies generally of late so I've paid even less attention to it than I normally would.

I think one of the reasons SatoshiDice is used so hugely as it is, is because there is really not very much you can DO with Bitcoins once you have them other than gambling.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: