Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:41:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo mining question  (Read 3066 times)
rothnic (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:26:10 PM

I'm sorry if the information is out there but I have done some searching and was unable to find it.

I am trying to setup a solo mining operation between my two computers and my friends 3 computers. I understand that I need to run one of my machines as a server and have the other connect as a client.

My question is, do I need to setup a different rpcuser/rpcpassword for each machine or will they all use the same rpcuser/rpcpassword that I create in the config file? So, only one rpcuser/rpcpassword will exist in bitcoin.conf.

I am using the guiminer if that is needed for any instruction.

Thank you for your time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 10:34:20 PM

I'm sorry if the information is out there but I have done some searching and was unable to find it.

I am trying to setup a solo mining operation between my two computers and my friends 3 computers. I understand that I need to run one of my machines as a server and have the other connect as a client.

My question is, do I need to setup a different rpcuser/rpcpassword for each machine or will they all use the same rpcuser/rpcpassword that I create in the config file? So, only one rpcuser/rpcpassword will exist in bitcoin.conf.

Thank you for your time.
Just use the same user/password for all of them, allow access to the RPC server for your local subnet's IP range, and point the miners to the IP of the server.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
rothnic (OP)

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:41:51 PM

Thank you for your time.
Just use the same user/password for all of them, allow access to the RPC server for your local subnet's IP range, and point the miners to the IP of the server.

Ok so I will have all the machines using the same rpcuser/rpcpassword and point to the IP of the computer that has the server running. Thank you.

When the server is operational and you can see the Mhash/s in the bottom right, will you be able to see the combined Mhash/s of all the computers (to validate you have mutliple machines contributing) or do you just have to know it's working because you set it up properly?

Thanks again!
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 10:48:45 PM

The server has no way to know the actual MH/s rate, it is only known by the workers. The server (or mining pool) can only try to estimate it by averaging the time the worker takes to find a share.
Generally speaking: If the workers don't complain about not getting any work, you can usually assume that everything is working correctly.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:02:36 PM

don't bother solo mining, at this difficulty level, you're probably not going to see a block in over a year.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 11:05:25 PM

don't bother solo mining, at this difficulty level, you're probably not going to see a block in over a year.
Even with five rigs? Assuming they're decent ones?

martok

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:05:29 AM

Even with five rigs? Assuming they're decent ones?
Hmm, I'm not sure what that reply was implying since you didn't post your hashrate. With multiple rigs, there is no reason not to solo mine.
innervisi0nn

Activity: 98

Tutorials, guidelines, optimizations for all!

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:17:09 AM

That was uncalled for. How do you know what setup he has?

Hey, right before we hit difficulty 560k, I did 50.05 coins in 5:59 hours. What kind of rigs are you using?
It all depends on your setup my friend.

bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:25:11 AM

Indeed, uncalled for. I approve of this thread as it is one of few.

There is no real rule for when to go solo, but it seems like it makes sense if you have the Hash to average 1 block < 10 days on average (I'm using 10 days as the close to average time for difficulty increases lately). You may get lucky and find a buncha blocks, you may get unlucky and not find any and be sad, but you should on average find at least 1. And get a big 50 bitcoin surprise!
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:20:52 AM

is there a tutorial of how to setup solo with multiple rigs somewhere?
i would really appreciate it!
martok

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:38:33 AM

is there a tutorial of how to setup solo with multiple rigs somewhere?
i would really appreciate it!
Not that I know of. Just pointing miners at your bitcoind will work fine though. For a bit of extra work though, you could make things a touch more efficient. Setup pushpool, create a database and run blkmond on the server. For solo, that gets you long-polling which AFAIK is not present in the current bitcoind server so there is a small window where your miners can be working on stale blocks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: