Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:38:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Free bitcoin for answering trivia :-)  (Read 3086 times)
BitTrivia (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 12:56:11 AM

In an effort to promote the site, I'm offering free bitcoin for anyone who answers trivia questions right, if no one else has bid and they are the first person to answer the question. You do not have to make a deposit to the website. Right now there are long periods of time without any bidding activity, so you have a good shot at getting some!

http://www.bittrivia.com

Make sure to press enter after you type in your answer! Also, Googling is allowed.

I plan to restructure the way that winning works so that people without bitcoin can always win free bitcoin from the site if they win, even if others have bid. Basically it will be set up like poker with side pots where multiple people can win different portions of the pot depending on how much they bid and the order that they came in. A person who has not bid will always be able to win a certain amount directly from the site (not part of the pot). This will be coming shortly - maybe this weekend.

Thanks for checking out the site!
geniusboy91

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 04:07:55 AM

So what happens if, at the moment I bid against no one and get it right or wrong.
CountSparkle

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 05:01:12 AM

Do you win more for bidding more, or can everyone just sit and keep collecting your money?
geniusboy91

Activity: 150

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 05:29:34 AM

Cool site, I encountered a bug but I couldn't replicate it.

I cashed out, and my balance went to zero, but then (I think after I got my next question correct) it went back up to my cash-out balance plus .001 and kept going up, but when I cashed out again it was the correct amount. After this cashout, balance went to zero, and then went to .001 as it should.

Just trying to help!  Smiley
BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 01:47:22 PM

@geniusboy Yeah I found that bug last night as well and corrected it. To answer your other question, you've probably already figured it out by now, but if you answer the question right and no one is there, you get some bitcoin from the website.

@CountSparkle Yes, if two or more people bid, then you can all win more by bidding more. Basically the way it's calculated right now is you can win up to the amount you bid from each person if you win. So for an example:

You bid 0.05
I bid 0.03
Genius bids 0.1

If you win, you will collect all my 0.03, but you will only get 0.05 from Genius, giving you a total of 0.08. The website takes a 10% fee so you win 0.072.

The game gets really fun when 3 or more people are playing. The hard thing right now is what to do when no one is there. There are times when there are plenty of people on the site (max we had was like 7 or 8 people bidding) and there are times when no one is playing. I thought maybe by adding the free bitcoin if no one was bidding would help bring more people to the site. It's also a great way for people new to bitcoin to get some free bitcoin to start with.
lepirate

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

Garbochock

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 03:52:10 PM

Good site! I find it entertaining!! Smiley
william

Activity: 43

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 05:57:19 PM

That's pretty cool! Good work.
BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 10:07:27 PM

Thanks guys!
twix

Activity: 35

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 10:34:08 PM

Nice project Smiley
Batteryfire

Activity: 76

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 04:13:24 AM

I think the site design could use some work, but otherwise it seems to work well. Very cool =)
ThisIsFC

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 12:31:39 PM

Awesome.
Thanks, free BTC Cheesy
chrahunt

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 12:29:43 AM

Very fun, thank you! Grin
ThaddeusB

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 07:41:35 AM

Fun site.  I hope it catches on.
Prospero

Activity: 194

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 09:32:19 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2012, 01:33:50 PM by Prospero

Looks like there's now a limit imposed on how many free questions you can answer, but it doesn't tell you what that limit is. I got the message: "Your guess was rejected: You have reached the limit of free rounds. Try bidding instead."

After experimenting with a new account the limit is 74 questions.

1Ja2AxA8hfFMrPwSTV9nP6kq7bp3f7x734
BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 03:41:36 PM

Yeah I ended up having to put a limit. Not so much because of giving out free bitcoin, but more so because of the number of questions that a player sees. With 2500 questions right now, when you have seen 250 of them you have seen 10%. When you've seen 500 you've seen 20%. That gives these people an unfair advantage when playing.

However, if people start bidding, then I'll hopefully be able to afford buying new questions so that no one ever sees more than a certain percentage of them. They are not cheap though. They cost me 40 cents a question.
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 04:19:41 PM

They cost me 40 cents a question.

Why do I think that's too much when at least 40% of the questions have been answered so many times that a simple Google search will reveal the answer without even having to click any of the results?

I fear the game may turn more into a "see-how-fast-you-can-type-at-a-search-engine" game than a knowledge and betting game. And then it'll become a bit boring/unfair (people with someone to help or that can type very fast will win most of the times, making it very frustrating for new users).

BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 05:42:22 PM

Yeah, basically I need to get to the point where people are actually bidding money greater than 0.01 BTC and then the website can start collecting some fees. Then with those fees I can keep purchasing new questions. The 40 cents a question is way too high, but I plan to offer a place where users can submit their own questions/answers and I could pay them something that the website could afford.

Just having the free rounds will exhaust the supply of questions and leave me no money to buy any new ones. I do plan on advertising some more, in places other than the newbie forum here, so that I can start bringing in people with bitcoin. I want to release a couple new features first before I do this.
BitTrivia (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 05:48:18 PM

In response to your other comment: the idea was that if someone knew the trivia question already they would have an edge over the people who had to google. If no one knows the answer, then yes it turns into a google race. I do see your point that it can be frustrating for new users since they are competing against other people who already have practice. But usually after a few rounds they get up to speed with the way it works.
ThaddeusB

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 05:49:43 PM

However, if people start bidding, then I'll hopefully be able to afford buying new questions so that no one ever sees more than a certain percentage of them. They are not cheap though. They cost me 40 cents a question.

I would be happy to write questions for less than that and I am sure many others would too.  Just saying...  Smiley
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2012, 07:01:06 PM

I don't think it would be fair to have people who contributed a high number of questions playing along with people that never have seen any questions but the ones they have already been questioned. At the same time, that can be a feature too: "People who contribute lots of questions have more chances to get more questions right in time", motivating people to submit questions.

Anyway, are you sure it's a good idea to have users be able to submit new questions? You'd have to check if the questions aren't duplicates, they are well written and that their answers are correct; from my point of view, this can be a lot of work, if users start to submit a lot of questions.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: