Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:15:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: <Bounty> 1 BTC for the least worded T-Shirt  (Read 9828 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 05:36:35 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2012, 07:06:52 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

This fuckin' thread has now turned into a job, one of which I don't get paid, but have to pay out.  Wink

But I'm up to the task nonetheless. Allow me now time to address the posts since the last time I was here.

To make my task a tad simpler, I'll add the the ones to Post #2 meeting the criteria, and comment on the ones falling short as well as answer any questions.

Damn close, but you broke one of the rules. Can you figure out which one? (not being an ass toward you, bud) I like it, but can't add, for I would surely be called out for adding a submission incorporating an infringement.

That would be the E-Prime rule. I could modify it to meet that rule but it'd be half as witty. Why is E-Prime important here? Would be good if this could be discussed...

Oh and possibly because if Bitcoin counts as a word itself we're up to 15 - not sure if that's it?

I'm just hooked on E-Prime: Some scholars advocate using E-Prime as a device to clarify thinking and strengthen writing. For example, the sentence "the film was good" could translate into E-Prime as "I liked the film" or as "the film made me laugh". The E-Prime versions communicate the speaker's experience rather than judgment, making it harder for the writer or reader to confuse opinion with fact.

I'm including the above image, although it borders on being a slogan.

Also including this one, although structured as a sentence would have been more acceptable.

I'll give it another try:

Included for now, but PayPal is one word and not Pay pals. Redo, so I can change the pic in Post #2.

Entry outside the competition and a bit more provocative

I like this, but there's that word 'is' again. I'm going to do a mock-up based on this and submit in your name.

Here's your submission:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 05:55:29 AM

A separate post is warranted for this submission.

Did you steal this from somewhere? I love this shirt, but it's more of a slogan/motto. I'm going to include it in Post #2 of this thread nontheless. The only major thing I would like to see changed is the Bitcoin logo. Some logo with the word Bitcoin incorporated in it would be great in my eyes.
luicon

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 06:33:55 AM

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 07:09:05 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2012, 07:36:12 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My suggestions: worldwide to global; anonymous to pseudo-anonymous (will consider it one word); somehow emphasize without banks (all caps, comma, hyphen, etc., and still make the text clean looking making sure to not put a hyphen in an eyesore position, for example)

I'm not a season wordsmith, and any help from the community would be appreciated.

Bitcoin means evolution
and freedom.
A global, pseudo-anonymous
and carefree
transaction system
without banks.

I also like the logo. Your choice for using the word 'means' to replace 'is' is interesting. I really like it, but if even a better word could be used, hopefully somebody will suggest it.

All in all, a very fine submission.

~Bruno K~

Another option:

Bitcoin represents evolution
and freedom:
A global, pseudo-anonymous
money transfer system.

WITHOUT BANKS!

Now I'm having issues with the word 'evolution'. I'm not trying to tear this apart. In fact, I'm trying to improve upon it, for it's coming across so strong.
luicon

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 07:37:07 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2012, 10:49:24 AM by luicon

You like this one better? so i can make the picture in case you find it better:

Bitcoin, the evolution way to freedom.
A global and carefree transaction system.
WITHOUT BANKS.

or maybe adding the (r) too.

Bitcoin, the (r)evolution way to freedom.
WITHOUT BANKS.

shorter and nice too:

Bitcoin, the evolution towards freedom.
Global carefree transaction currency,
WITHOUT BANKS.
jsmithers

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 09:07:44 AM

Included for now, but PayPal is one word and not Pay pals. Redo, so I can change the pic in Post #2.

This was actually intentional - a word play on PayPal suggesting you can pay friends (pay a pal) and businesses rather than using the brand PayPal (or any other similar payment provider). If it wins (which is unlikely) I'm happy to turn it into PayPal if that is more to the point and less confusing.

I like this, but there's that word 'is' again. I'm going to do a mock-up based on this and submit in your name.

Thanks, this is a mock version of the mastercard slogan which uses "there is" - that's why, but your E-Prime version works fine. Thanks making and including it.
jsmithers

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 09:20:50 AM

All in all, a very fine submission.

Wink A feast for the eyes in any case
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 05:14:45 PM

This was actually intentional - a word play on PayPal suggesting you can pay friends (pay a pal) and businesses rather than using the brand PayPal (or any other similar payment provider). If it wins (which is unlikely) I'm happy to turn it into PayPal if that is more to the point and less confusing.

Thanks, this is a mock version of the mastercard slogan which uses "there is" - that's why, but your E-Prime version works fine. Thanks making and including it.

The play on words IS a nice aspect of your design. Sorry that I overlooked it.

You like this one better? so i can make the picture in case you find it better:

Bitcoin, the evolution way to freedom.
WITHOUT BANKS.

or maybe adding the (r) too.

Bitcoin, the (r)evolution way to freedom.
WITHOUT BANKS.

shorter and nice too:

Bitcoin, the evolution towards freedom.
Global carefree transaction currency,
WITHOUT BANKS.

Regardless of which one is used, you'll hold title to all the variants on the same theme, including mine and others' input on this submission. That said, personally I'm leaning toward the following:

Bitcoin, the (r)evolution/ary
path to freedom,
delivering a global
secure payment system.

WITHOUT BANKS
luicon

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 11:50:03 AM

hi, we have any winner ?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 01:09:28 PM

Hi-res source files (with transparent background):
White text (dark shirt) two color:

Black text (light shirt) three color:

Released into the public domain.
I like the big logo on the back though we need to start using the Ƀ symbol.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 06:14:14 PM

hi, we have any winner ?

Not yet, luicon. Allow me to run this another week, for I desire to see at least two more entries. See Post #2 of this thread to view all the submissions.

Feel free to submit any entries with slightly more than 14 words, albeit they may be given less consideration. The key is grammar and the ability to express what is Bitcoin in as few words as possible.

~Bruno K~
luicon

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 05:28:04 PM

its quite difficult to define bitcoin with very little amount of words
in my opinion if its something that its going to be
in a t-shirt, should be something that inspire to the one who read it, into know more about it,
i dont know if trying to put lot of adjectives on it to define it better could be as positive as intended,
here is another try any way:

Because YOU should be your own bank.
-BITCOIN-
Secure carefree transactions that
returns back your freedom.

or

Because banks were never needed:
-BITCOIN-
Secure carefree transactions that
returns back your freedom.
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 10:14:36 PM

I like the orange Bitcoin logo more than the Ƀ.. or even just "BTC".. but then again T-Shirts might be the place to switch it up.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 02:37:02 AM

Interesting! I've included this submission in Post #2 of this thread.

I like the orange Bitcoin logo more than the Ƀ.. or even just "BTC".. but then again T-Shirts might be the place to switch it up.

Is the Ƀ symbol official? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_with_stroke

B with stroke (majuscule: Ƀ, minuscule: ƀ) is a letter of the Latin alphabet, formed from B with the addition of a bar, which can be through either the ascender or the bowl. It is used as a phonetic symbol to represent to transcribe the sound [β].

⟨Ƀ⟩ is also a letter of the alphabets of the Jarai and Katu languages of Vietnam, and is used in standardized texts in Old Saxon as well as in reconstructed forms of Proto-Germanic

The letter Ƀ has also been used as part of a proposed alternative symbol for the Bitcoin digital currency [1]
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 02:43:32 AM

Yes it's official, you should only ever use Ƀ.

(actually no, nothing's official, and we get regular polls/discussions/arguments about it)
although i prefer it, Ƀ always seems to come in second, just behind baht.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 10:37:34 PM

(actually no, nothing's official, and we get regular polls/discussions/arguments about it)

Then what about this symbol BTC?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:07:33 PM

BTC is cool looking, but doesn't exist as a character outside this forum. Ƀ OTOH is part of the ASCII typography.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 02:28:43 AM

BTC is cool looking, but doesn't exist as a character outside this forum. Ƀ OTOH is part of the ASCII typography.

That makes sense. Thanks, cbeast.

I guess it's time to wind this little contest down. But before I do, how about one more submission?
paybitcoin

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

1h79nc

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 05:52:25 AM

One more!!! Anyways, I like simpler shirts. Two words, how about that! Both with heavy meanings!

Contact me for the originals, inkscape wasn't working right...

Also, too bad for Ƀ; I like BTC better personally. Guess it will take some getting used to.
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 10:17:36 AM

I'd say all submissions so far suck. Some ideas are good, but wording isn't. Particularly, when you combine several ideas you get hodgepodge instead of a coherent sentence. It reads like "Freedom, and, uh, evolution, eh, fuck banks and paypal! LOL".

"currency evolved" is probably the best catchphrase, but it a little too unspecific, other digital currencies can make that claim to.

If somebody finds a way to elaborate from there it would be great.

Also I'd say Rush Limbaugh said it very well: "Oh, the hell with that. Why don't we just use Bitcoin, to hell with printing up a whole new platinum coin here. Just use Bitcoin, which is the currency on the Internet."

He was probably mocking Bitcoin, but still, "the currency on the Internet" sounds great. A little more verbose than "currency evolved", but considerably more specific and has relevant connotations.

Also, fuck E-Prime requirement. If you suck at wording E-Prime won't make it any better.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: