Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:49:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Client finally synched but first Bitcoin not there??  (Read 595 times)
Groovegal (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 08:59:22 AM

HI everyone

My wallet has finally synched, after 4 days!

I had already bought my first Bitcoin from Ebay to get me started and the seller generally deposits 0.01 and once you confirm receipt he send the rest of your purchase.  He sent me a message yesterday to ask if I had received it (but as I hadnt yet synched with the network I didnt know either way)
Woke up this morning finally synch is finished but nothing is showing.

Im wondering is this because it was sent before I was synched with the network as I would have thought that long as the seller had sent it to the address in my wallet it would now be showing?

Just wondered what could have gone wrong. 

Also if he sent it now would I have to shut down and reopen the wallet program for it to show?

Thanks
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 09:10:03 AM

You can look-up your address on blockchain.info (type it in the search in top right) to see if the sellers transaction is there.

And no, you don't need to be synced to receive Bitcoins, even if the address never appeared on the network before.

Blazr

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 09:58:19 AM

+1

Lol. Nice nick.

Groovegal (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 10:10:23 AM

Hi thanks for replying, I went to blockchain.info and it shows no transactions to that address.

I will message the seller.  

Out of curiosity as Im new to this if my computer broke down would I lose my bitcoins?

And if the seller sends me the bitcoin later will I need to shut down and reopen the client or will it show up without that
Blazr

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 10:12:41 AM

Out of curiosity as Im new to this if my computer broke down would I lose my bitcoins?

If you do not have a backup of your wallet.dat file then yes you will lose your coins. I recommend you make a backup ASAP.

And if the seller sends me the bitcoin later will I need to shut down and reopen the client or will it show up without that

It will show up without needing to reopen the client.

Groovegal (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 10:49:44 AM

Thanks Blazr

I will read up today on how to backup.  Its great to see Im finally synched with the network now I can start learning
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: