Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:33:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Deterministic Wallet?  (Read 1284 times)
goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 11:53:14 AM

There is a term called Deterministic Wallet in the Armory software. I checked some English-Chinese dictionaries but got no answer yet. Who can give me an explanation for this? Thanks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 12:00:20 PM

A deterministic wallet is a wallet that you need to backup only once.
It creates all your Bitcoin addresses from a random number called "seed".
Your wallet can be recovered from the seed, if the wallet file is accidentally deleted.

That is an important security feature, because it protects you from your own mistakes, or computer crashes.

the following clients have deterministic wallets:
 - Electrum
 - Armory
 - Bitcoinspinner

the official Bitcoin client might support deterministic wallets in the future; google for "Bitcoin BIP 32"

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
mazi

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 05:43:42 PM

There is a term called Deterministic Wallet in the Armory software. I checked some English-Chinese dictionaries but got no answer yet. Who can give me an explanation for this? Thanks.

Here's an explanation in the Wiki:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Deterministic_wallet
goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 11:38:09 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2012, 11:48:14 PM by goldlyre

Thanks a lot for your quick and kind replies. It's very helpful for me - a newbie in this field.

Sorry, I have one more question here: How to transfer the Btcs in my online Armory (watching-only wallet copy) into another offline Armory (on another old laptop) via a USB flash stick?

After having carefully refered to the Amory tutorials on their webpages, I've successfully made installation of Armory on my offline laptop as well as on an everyday-using desktop pc. I've also made a watching-only wallet on the desktop and sent from my another address 0.25 Btcs to the online Armory (watching-only wallet copy).

Now my question is: Shall I transfer the money via USB flash stick back to the offline Armory? And if I should, how to do it? I've earnestly checked the help text on their webpages but got no clue. Thanks again!  Smiley

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 05:13:05 AM

Thanks a lot for your quick and kind replies. It's very helpful for me - a newbie in this field.

Sorry, I have one more question here: How to transfer the Btcs in my online Armory (watching-only wallet copy) into another offline Armory (on another old laptop) via a USB flash stick?

After having carefully refered to the Amory tutorials on their webpages, I've successfully made installation of Armory on my offline laptop as well as on an everyday-using desktop pc. I've also made a watching-only wallet on the desktop and sent from my another address 0.25 Btcs to the online Armory (watching-only wallet copy).

Now my question is: Shall I transfer the money via USB flash stick back to the offline Armory? And if I should, how to do it? I've earnestly checked the help text on their webpages but got no clue. Thanks again!  Smiley

To send your Bitcoins to your offline wallet, it should have one or more Bitcoin addresses. Go to your online wallet, and send your Bitcoins to the offline wallet address.
The coins will be sent to the offline address, even if the offline wallet is never connected to the Internet.

If you just want to access your wallet on the offline computer (not send coins to it), just put your wallet.dat onto a USB, and import it on the offline machine.

Tip me: 1234568syWuTdAMp1Fxg3hroz2F1W5VvDS

Good luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: