Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:30:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is MtGox inflating the bubble?  (Read 2273 times)
alkor (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:07:49 PM

I know many previous false alarms for a bubble have been raised, but I'd like to discuss a possible explanation for the rapid appreciation in prices.

Currently Mt Gox has no limit on how much money can be deposited, but there is a limit on how much money can be withdrawn. This means that the inflow of funds is unrestricted, but the outflow is restricted. Could this assymetry be part of the reason why bitcoins are appreciating so wildly?If traders were allowed to withdraw large amounts from the exchange, wouldn't prices be more stable?

Does this sound plausible?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Freakin

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:11:59 PM

I know many previous false alarms for a bubble have been raised, but I'd like to discuss a possible explanation for the rapid appreciation in prices.

Currently Mt Gox has no limit on how much money can be deposited, but there is a limit on how much money can be withdrawn. This means that the inflow of funds is unrestricted, but the outflow is restricted. Could this assymetry be part of the reason why bitcoins are appreciating so wildly?If traders were allowed to withdraw large amounts from the exchange, wouldn't prices be more stable?

Does this sound plausible?

Where is the limit on withdrawals posted?  I've heard it's $1k/USD/day worth of BTC, but does this apply to USD as well?
NetTecture

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:14:38 PM

No, not plausible. The ones withdrawing are mostly miners I would say.

Why should they buy again what they just sold Wink
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:22:26 PM

You can sell as many bitcoins as you want in a day so I don't think the speed of getting funds out of Mt.Gox has much effect.

There could be some small effect. Those who wanted to sell bitcoins in order to pay for something expensive, but still expected prices to go up, would sell at most $1kUSD a day. Also if someone changed their mind and decided to buy back some bitcoins part of their funds might still be on Mt.Gox due to them not being able to withdraw it all at once.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
alkor (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:22:59 PM

Where is the limit on withdrawals posted?  I've heard it's $1k/USD/day worth of BTC, but does this apply to USD as well?
I believe it applies to both USD and BTC.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:26:06 PM

Is MtGox inflating the bubble?
What bubble?   Cheesy

alkor (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:30:54 PM

What bubble?   Cheesy
Just in the last hour, bitcoins appreciated from $18 to $23.60. If that's not a buying mania fueling a bubble, what is?
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:35:06 PM

What bubble?   Cheesy
Just in the last hour, bitcoins appreciated from $18 to $23.60. If that's not a buying mania fueling a bubble, what is?

The most incredible form of money ever?
Possibly even more than gold.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:35:58 PM

What bubble?   Cheesy

I love Bitcoins and I'm also sane enough to know about this:
Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds

alkor (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:37:26 PM

According to this

http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/mtgoxUSD_trades.html

in the last hour alone people burned half a million US dollars buying bitcoins Smiley
cartwright

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:45:21 PM

And Mt Gox made tens of thousands of dollars.
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:56:20 PM

Well Im pissed,  I decided to buy BTC at 9$  and between the crappy dwolla and tortoise slow mtgox, its been more than a week and I have yet to get a dollar into MTGOx or buy 1 frigging BTC.

Angry

so much for being right at the right time....when there are middle men and dollar conversions.
alkor (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:01:03 AM

so much for being right at the right time....when there are middle men and dollar conversions.
Well, I found about bitcoin back when it was just 20 cents. Back then it was even harder to purchase it. You either had to go through liberty dollar, or cash in the mail.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:06:37 AM

Well Im pissed,  I decided to buy BTC at 9$  and between the crappy dwolla and tortoise slow mtgox, its been more than a week and I have yet to get a dollar into MTGOx or buy 1 frigging BTC.

Angry

Same w\ me.  I was trying to buy  @ 8.50 and couldn't get anybody to sell to me w\ paypal.  Took over a week to get any money into mtgox account ( idk why they don't take cc? )

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:13:47 AM

( idk why they don't take cc? )

Too many problems with credit card charge backs

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
rezin777

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:19:06 AM

Angry

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I have an honest question. Does this make you want Bitcoins more or less?
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:36:00 AM

Want bitcoins? Really it makes me want to shrug my shoulders and walk away.  I would if My money werent somewhere in cyberspace between dwolla and mtgox.
 There is is no transparency to the owner of moving funds. Lack of transparency is great if you want people out of your business, but
lack of transparency as to where  your funds are after 4 -9 days (as the BTC moves tirelessly ahead) is for the proles. 
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:54:11 AM

MtGox isn't Bitcoin.

If you don't like the dealer, you can still love the product.
rezin777

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:55:52 AM

Want bitcoins? Really it makes me want to shrug my shoulders and walk away.  I would if My money werent somewhere in cyberspace between dwolla and mtgox.
 There is is no transparency to the owner of moving funds. Lack of transparency is great if you want people out of your business, but
lack of transparency as to where  your funds are after 4 -9 days (as the BTC moves tirelessly ahead) is for the proles. 

I see. I assumed the difficulty that you experienced with transferring your money would make the ease of Bitcoin transfers look even better. At least that's how I would see it.
interfect

Activity: 141

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:35:19 AM

I see. I assumed the difficulty that you experienced with transferring your money would make the ease of Bitcoin transfers look even better. At least that's how I would see it.

It's getting near time for some fraction of the Bitcoin newbies to realize that it isn't actually magic and pack up and go home.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: