Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:08:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-01-10] KeepKey review: the Cadillac of hardware wallets  (Read 500 times)
hephaist0s (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:41:49 PM

My review of the KeepKey, with pics.

"It’s nice when things feel as substantial and important as their function. Any reputable hardware wallet is a great idea for keeping bitcoin secure, but despite their utility some can feel insubstantial in your hand, almost cheap.

The KeepKey, though, looks and feels like something that would be at home on a CEO’s desk."

More here: http://object2212.com/?p=405

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:55:32 PM

Good review from your side, but have you tried to sync with any other 3rd party wallet like mycelium and others does it work?
hephaist0s (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 10:03:30 PM

Good review from your side, but have you tried to sync with any other 3rd party wallet like mycelium and others does it work?

Thanks! It works great with Multibit HD; I believe others have gotten it to work with Electrum, but it's not built-in to the current release of Electrum.

I connected it to Mycelium on my phone, but it wasn't recognized. I have used my Trezor with Mycelium, however. I *think* Mycelium doesn't support the KeepKey yet, but I would imagine the changes necessary to allow that wouldn't be too great.

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 10:11:37 PM

Thanks! It works great with Multibit HD; I believe others have gotten it to work with Electrum, but it's not built-in to the current release of Electrum.

I connected it to Mycelium on my phone, but it wasn't recognized. I have used my Trezor with Mycelium, however. I *think* Mycelium doesn't support the KeepKey yet, but I would imagine the changes necessary to allow that wouldn't be too great.
Nice, i have seen that mycelium supports only trezor and the ledger wallet so was wondering if they accept the keepkey as it seems more 'premium' feeling thanks for review, it is a bit expensive but i will consider it if the price decreases in the near future.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 11:37:32 PM

Potential buyers need to be aware that KeepKey does not allow for passphrase encrypted seeds as Trezor does. Theoretically a dedicated thief could extract the seed which is saved in plain text on the KeepKey. Same for the Trezor but you add a passphrase to defeat the thief.

traderbit

Activity: 798

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 11:40:45 PM

Potential buyers need to be aware that KeepKey does not allow for passphrase encrypted seeds as Trezor does. Theoretically a dedicated thief could extract the seed which is saved in plain text on the KeepKey. Same for the Trezor but you add a passphrase to defeat the thief.

KeepKey seems to cost a lot at least for me, but i want to know about ledger, As far as i know ledger also stores the 24-word seed in their "usb chip", it if is lost will the thief still get the seed unencryped as plain text?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: