Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [EDU] How to spot a scammer in the Digital Goods section  (Read 1162 times)
golapani

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 04:20:19 PM

Updated the thread, quoted mexxer's post. Thanks for adding.
In scammer news, DWC with this user or do not deal with at all: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1324825.0;topicseen
Obvious scam is obvious
Ignores all escrow questions, makes you go first, can't speak proper English, says he has a long time business when confronted.
What you are doing is great job .but i think if you are going to make scam accusations it will be better to shift this thread to scam accusations thread
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 04:31:02 PM

Updated the thread, quoted mexxer's post. Thanks for adding.
In scammer news, DWC with this user or do not deal with at all: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1324825.0;topicseen
Obvious scam is obvious
Ignores all escrow questions, makes you go first, can't speak proper English, says he has a long time business when confronted.
What you are doing is great job .but i think if you are going to make scam accusations it will be better to shift this thread to scam accusations thread
Its fine where it is, he is just showing an example .
Robertt (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 02:49:11 PM

Bumpy
Deal with caution while trading, ESPECIALLY in this section considering so many scammers use bought accounts and attempt to scam here via gift card selling threads or other BS such as MDSN accounts or Bitcointalk forum accounts with high ranks like legendary.
Shibashi Dogemoto

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 02:52:05 PM

As an addition to your point 2 (uses broken english), also a clear sign (at least for me) is when somebody uses the words "bro, sir and/or friend" in almost every PM they send you...
Btcsunami

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:02:50 PM

Good points to follow to avoid scammers.
I am surprised any Nigerian scammers have infiltrated this forum.
krunox123

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

I don't bite.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2016, 05:19:00 PM

As an addition to your point 2 (uses broken english), also a clear sign (at least for me) is when somebody uses the words "bro, sir and/or friend" in almost every PM they send you...
I'm not sure, but IMO someone who uses "bro, sir and/or friend" frequently in their posts or PMs is not a scammer. Well, at least you got a point there.

Life sucks.
Ilovebitcoin235

Activity: 82

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:41:33 PM

All good points. I got scammed once on this site and now I am more careful. You are right that people dont care until they get scammed. I was the same way. I had so many negative feelings and evidences dealing with this one guy and he managed to be very trustworthy in his conversations. But of course I got scammed. Be extremely careful when risking more than $10. Some people have no life than to scam people.
miki77miki

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

stop kidding me

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2016, 05:41:56 PM

Even if you don't really want an escrow, just ask if they'd be willing to get an escrow. Do not believe the bullshit they say about escrows scamming or it taking too much time, if they at any point deny escrow. DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM, if anything say something in the thread.

We should have something like this stickied, anyone else think so?
Robertt (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:52:11 AM

If something sounds too good to be true, it is.
I got offered $400 & a 150k Instagram account for an OG kik I owned (name). Someone messaged me (guy with same name, some 'hacker' dude) offering $400 & the Instagram, I thought it was too good to pass up so I accepted. He sent me the Instagram, I changed password & sent him the kik, before he sent the $400 he pulled back the IG & I got left with nothing. Sad thing is I got it on the same day and paid $300 for it :-(
Learn from your mistakes, or better yet, other people's mistakes.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: