Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:52:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin Unlimited another Bitcoin XT?  (Read 783 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:23:03 PM

I am so confused. First came Bitcoin XT which tried to solve Bitcoin's block size cap (and apparently it failed) but now there is something new called Bitcoin Unlimited? I just read a few things about it and as far as I understood you can choose any block size right? What is this? Another alt coin or a fork?  Huh

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fuathan

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

Aleph.im

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:34:34 PM

It's like alchemy. There is many methods that produce fake gold. Smiley
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 11:08:39 PM

One network.

Multiple clients.

Simple.

all P2P file sharing have this "issue" ... after years of knowing and using developpers.

oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 11:18:52 PM

They are just trying to do the XT thing all over again considering XT was a failure to ever gain notoriety, that's what im deducing after studying the situation. Im not buying.
SISAR

Activity: 651
Merit: 518

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 12:21:05 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2016, 12:43:07 AM by SISAR

I am so confused. First came Bitcoin XT which tried to solve Bitcoin's block size cap (and apparently it failed) but now there is something new called Bitcoin Unlimited? I just read a few things about it and as far as I understood you can choose any block size right? What is this? Another alt coin or a fork?  Huh

Due to astronomical Bitcoin mining difficulty it is pointless to talk about real Bitcoin and Bitcoin altcoin. Wallet that gets the majority of hashrate will win, it is as easy as that. All Bitcoin services will be forced to switch to it else they'll be at real and high risk of ending up as victims of double-spends. And Bitcoin altcoin would not live even for a day because no new blocks would be mined for that period of time, or ever. Do not count on Bitcoiners actualy waiting the next block for very long.

With PoW coins, the amount of hashrate equals the amount of votes.

The first Bitcoin wallet that starts paying extras to miners will win. Economics which Satoshi either failed to include in equation or bet on.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 03:32:00 AM

With PoW coins, the amount of hashrate equals the amount of votes.

which is a very flawed concept, as now there is more to the bitcoin ecosystem then just the miners. though it theorised they'd act in their own best interest which should be to keep the price, which should work in everyone's interest, but mostly people work in their own interest without understanding how this will go down with others.

i see this throughout the crypto community, programers off in their own innovative world don't at all relate to traders, miners don't relate to traders etc etc

ftc is a good example, miners voted to change the algo (in the best interest of avoiding asics, seemed a reasonable approach), didn't go down well with traders (like myself). now what was once a $4 USD coin is lucky to be 0.4 cents  Shocked
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2016, 04:29:51 AM

I am so confused. First came Bitcoin XT which tried to solve Bitcoin's block size cap (and apparently it failed) but now there is something new called Bitcoin Unlimited? I just read a few things about it and as far as I understood you can choose any block size right? What is this? Another alt coin or a fork?  Huh

Unlimited was the most hypercomplex, hopelessly convoluted Gavinista circle jerk of all time.  Peter_R, Frap.doc, Solex, rocks, and Justus really poured their hearts and souls into that one.  But it failed miserably.  LOL.

Did you see their Constitution Manifesto Wishlist thingy?  It was slightly shorter than the OED (but much less concise and logical).

Anyway, Unlimited is last year's news.  The new Gavinista vaporware is Bitcoin Ultra.  Or was it Classic?

Oh wait, the New Shiny is actually NotPseudoBitcoinSX DarkX++ Turbo Edition 2 Deluxe.   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
sofu
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1085

Degenerate Crypto Gambler

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 08:16:49 AM

So XT failed and bitcoinclassic is gavins new altcoin? He is going full BryceWeinerShitcoinfactory now  Cheesy

LMAO -->  https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin_Classic/comments/40qbrt/xtnodescom_now_displays_bitcoin_classic_its_ready/ 

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 12:57:09 PM

So XT failed and bitcoinclassic is gavins new altcoin? He is going full BryceWeinerShitcoinfactory now  Cheesy

LMAO -->  https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin_Classic/comments/40qbrt/xtnodescom_now_displays_bitcoin_classic_its_ready/ 

What the hell? Another Bitcoin? So they are going to keep making new Bitcoin alt coins for what? To make things even worse? I don't believe this will ever solve Bitcoin's block size issue, but looking into Segregated Witness proposal, seems very promising to me especially the part about fighting transaction malleability.  Cheesy

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 09:13:12 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2016, 09:32:54 PM by YarkoL

I am so confused. First came Bitcoin XT which tried to solve Bitcoin's block size cap (and apparently it failed) but now there is something new called Bitcoin Unlimited? I just read a few things about it and as far as I understood you can choose any block size right? What is this? Another alt coin or a fork?  Huh

There are two parameters that a node running BU can set. The first one is the "excessive block size".
Blocks larger than that size will not be accepted, at least not right away.
Which brings us to the other setting, "accept depth". Say you set that at 5, then if you see
the block that you marked previously as excessive in the longest chain at depth 5 from the tip,
then you will accept that block. So you will always end up on the longest chain.

In practice, the block settings will tend to be conservative and reflect the actual limit of the
nodes processing power. It is unlikely that there will be wild fluctuations of block values with
the honest nodes, as it is in their interest not to fall behind. It is futile to have a select group imposing
a block limit on the network, instead it will be found via communication and negotiation among different
user groups.

There will be enhancements in the client to assist users to arrive at suitable settings and
to distinguish between honest and bad actors. What will probably be next is signaling of
user settings to the network like pictured here (a  BU node I'm currently running):

This announces to the network that my node will not accept blocks larger than 2.4MB unless 3 blocks
have been mined after it in the longest chain.

Hope this clears some of the confusion.

“God does not play dice"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: