Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:38:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The new way police are surveilling you: Calculating your threat ‘score’  (Read 1007 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 01:57:49 PM

Sticks and stones may break my bones. But names will never hurt me.

That old rhyme has been conventional wisdom for those bred in common sense and thick skins. But that world is fading away.

Its replacement is a now-cemented system of political correctness, ideological division, egg shell floors and, of course, always listening, always watching “big brothers” and “parental supervisors” who keep a look out, even if they assume you are doing nothing wrong.

Be that as it may, what you say, and what is said about you is now more likely than ever to land you in trouble with the law, or disqualify you for employment, promotion, government benefits or other opportunities.

The Washington Post reports:

Perhaps the most controversial and revealing technology is the threat-scoring software Beware. Fresno is one of the first departments in the nation to test the program.

As officers respond to calls, Beware automatically runs the address. The searches return the names of residents and scans them against a range of publicly available data to generate a color-coded threat level for each person or address: green, yellow or red.

Exactly how Beware calculates threat scores is something that its maker, Intrado, considers a trade secret, so it is unclear how much weight is given to a misdemeanor, felony or threatening comment on Facebook. However, the program flags issues and provides a report to the user.

In promotional materials, Intrado writes that Beware could reveal that the resident of a particular address was a war veteran suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, had criminal convictions for assault and had posted worrisome messages about his battle experiences on social media.

[…]

Rob Nabarro, a Fresno civil rights lawyer… said the fact that only Intrado — not the police or the public — knows how Beware tallies its scores is disconcerting. He also worries that the system might mistakenly increase someone’s threat level by misinterpreting innocuous activity on social media, like criticizing the police, and trigger a heavier response by officers.

“A police call is something that can be very dangerous for a citizen.”

It now matters if you are labeled by the mental health system with a “condition.” It also matters what you say on Facebook to aloof “friends” – the mere suggestion of wrong-doing counts towards your score as a threat to the system.

Not only has your permanent record been kept and used against you, but the informal chatter and “keywords” that fill up the spaces of life previously reserved for leisure and private life is now fair game for law enforcement “threat assessment.”

For some time now, police have followed up on threats of violence posted in comment threads, particularly if they threaten violence against a high profile politician or celebrity.

But now, they are armed with the “buzz” of background minutia about a person, too – which may or may not legitimately characterize intended criminal and illicit behavior. Guilt by association prevails. Like so many other surveillance technologies, theyscan in the background, with little or no presence in the lives of the people it watches.

The Washington Post gave an interesting intro to this feature piece on Beware, noting how much surveillance already goes into routine police business. Society is already in murky waters.

This is a peep into the modern day “fusion center” where associations are everything, and investigations are frequently preemptive, following profile models:

On a recent Monday afternoon, the center was a hive of activity. The police radio crackled over loudspeakers — “subject armed with steel rod” — as five operators sat behind banks of screens dialing up a wealth of information to help units respond to the more than 1,200 911 calls the department receives every day.

On 57 monitors that cover the walls of the center, operators zoomed and panned an array of roughly 200 police cameras perched across the city. They could dial up 800 more feeds from the city’s schools and traffic cameras, and they soon hope to add 400 more streams from cameras worn on officers’ bodies and from thousands from local businesses that have surveillance systems.

The cameras were only one tool at the ready. Officers could trawl a private database that has recorded more than 2 billion scans of vehicle licenses plates and locations nationwide. If gunshots were fired, a system called ShotSpotter could triangulate the location using microphones strung around the city. Another program, called Media Sonar, crawled social media looking for illicit activity. Police used it to monitor individuals, threats to schools and hashtags related to gangs.

One thing is certain: this is the near-future world of “Minority Report” has arrived on scene. It is already in its first phase of life, and most of the public still hasn’t imagined its form or capabilities. The government they fear has dawned upon us, but its face is not the familiar one of the opposing political camp, or the aspiring totalitarian despot. It is a hive army of technological and bureaucratic soldiers, come to eat out our substance and the Declaration of Independence warned in the long-train of abuses.

The whisper campaign at its most dreadful. A world where a random police call could become a Gestapo nightmare. Where thought crimes are bred. Orwell, P.K.D., etc. were right (but what else is new?).

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2016/01/13/are-you-a-threat-police-software-scans-your-social-media-very-dangerous-for-a-citizen/

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 11:25:58 PM

I know the problem so well, and it scares me. The only solution is to minimize your personal data. Don't be on facebook. Never use uber of airbnb. Don't use credit cards, never subscribe to any service and move frequently. Because it takes time to calculate someone' score. If you're always a newbie, you'll stay safe.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
UliJonHoth

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 12:44:05 AM

One thing is certain: this is the near-future world of “Minority Report” has arrived on scene. It is already in its first phase of life, and most of the public still hasn’t imagined its form or capabilities. The government they fear has dawned upon us, but its face is not the familiar one of the opposing political camp, or the aspiring totalitarian despot. It is a hive army of technological and bureaucratic soldiers, come to eat out our substance and the Declaration of Independence warned in the long-train of abuses.

The whisper campaign at its most dreadful. A world where a random police call could become a Gestapo nightmare. Where thought crimes are bred. Orwell, P.K.D., etc. were right (but what else is new?).

I truly don't want to imagine what this country will look like in another ten or twenty years with the direction we are headed.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 01:17:36 AM

manis

Activity: 303

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:17:47 AM

You can trust the politicians to put a positive spin on it.
This would make the streets "safer".
"If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't be worried."
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:11:34 PM

Yep.

gallantaves

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:19:55 PM

Anyone read Brave New World, for me that is most likely scenario.
I mean we already calculate threat levels by look
I am not trying to say people are racist but we still are.
Blacks are more scarier than Asians (Let say they have same clothes)

The threat level is just another level of judgmental tendency we have
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:28:05 PM

Are you accusing a black president of being racist because he pushes for so much surveillance? Hmm...

gallantaves

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:01:44 PM

Are you accusing a black president of being racist because he pushes for so much surveillance? Hmm...

Not really, I would like to say the president is being racist because he is pushing surveillance to affects the privacy of the people

Considering you point out he is black means you assume his skin color affects his decision but even white or yellow presidents can also be making those decisions (TRUMP and China)
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:03:38 PM

Yep.

Yes.

"If you have nothing to say, you shouldn´t be worried (about free speech)"

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:09:32 PM

Yep.

Yes.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/you-may-have-nothing-hide-you-still-have-something-fear

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:15:18 PM

Not really, I would like to say the president is being racist because he is pushing surveillance to affects the privacy of the people

Considering you point out he is black means you assume his skin color affects his decision but even white or yellow presidents can also be making those decisions (TRUMP and China)

I guess I misunderstood you when you wrote "I am not trying to say people are racist but we still are. " withing the contest of a total government surveillance?

Total power over people has nothing to do with race then. That is why you wrote "but even white or yellow presidents can also be making those decisions"

That was the point I was making. I believe you believe that too.

gallantaves

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 04:16:25 PM

The thing is, truth is subjective. I am not talking about facts but accepted truths.

My actions today may be evil for the government but it is beneficial to the people (Snowden)

The accepted truth: the Government is a protecting us from everything even Aliens
The fact: They spy there own people, lie to everyone to give them "security"
UliJonHoth

Activity: 281

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 05:30:30 PM

Yep.

Yes.

What is truly scary is I see tons of people with this type of thinking posting in the comments on various news articles which pop up on my FB news feed, the masses are primed and ready to accept and embrace anything that is fed to them with open arms, all under the guise of "security" or "patriotism" and one word which is thrown around more and more every day - "service".
Anddos

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 06:02:29 PM

Go to work, earn money, spend those money, go to sleep, repeat.
Be a complacent drone without any thoughts or opinions and you'll be just fine. That is the recipe for peace (of mind, at least).

differential350

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 07:40:38 PM

The Marvel movie "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" was hinting at something like this, scary trend indeed
Anddos

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 08:21:57 PM

Soon they'll come into your home and take you even if you did nothing. We believe you could be dangerous even if you didn't do nothing...

galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 10:37:48 PM

Yep.

Yes.

What is truly scary is I see tons of people with this type of thinking posting in the comments on various news articles which pop up on my FB news feed, the masses are primed and ready to accept and embrace anything that is fed to them with open arms, all under the guise of "security" or "patriotism" and one word which is thrown around more and more every day - "service".

It seems a weird madness that is taking place in the western world. The United States and Europe are increasing defining themselves in purely value and ideological terms and throwing away all ethnic, cultural,racial and religious terms.All tradition must go.  So, you have a community of values, ideology. Just a geographical entity really. It is losing its history and all historical continuity. And getting extreme dosages of political correctness. And it´s in such a great hurry to this utopia of happiness of all that it´s drowning in double standards and hipocrisy. You usually hear that as soon as those politically correct liberal do-gooders open their mouths. They´re very concerned about the integrity of Tibet and Chinese incursions there but see nothing wrong with flooding European countries with Arabs and Africans. They´re dying to preserve this bird species or that but don´t give a hoot about their own race in fact they want to get rid of it. It´s very strange. I can´t really grasp this mess, perhaps someone else can flesh it out better. I think you recognize the general symptoms.

2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 05:22:27 AM

throwing away all ethnic, cultural,racial and religious terms.All tradition must go.  

Reminds me of the The Killing Fields:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Fields
The Khmer Rouge regime arrested and eventually executed almost everyone suspected of connections with the former government or with foreign governments, as well as professionals and intellectuals.

This happened only recently (1975 to 1979);  sometimes I feel the same sort of oppression is building.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: