Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:51:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Classic discussion  (Read 2284 times)
worhiper_-_ (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 02:22:32 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2016, 02:52:29 PM by worhiper_-_

Why is this in the altcoin section?
Any fork proposal is arguably not bitcoin and therefore an altcoin, discussion is this forum is better suited here imo anyway.

Intro:
Gavin Andresen's latest attempt to promote a blocksize cap increase consists of a to-be-developed bitcoin Core fork called Bitcoin Classic. According to the official website The software would increase the blocksize cap to 2Mb immediately and allow miners and users say they what they want.

Useful links:
Official Bitcoin Classic website
Bitcoin Consensus graphs in consider.it
Bitcoin Classic Consensus graphs in consider.it
Blocktrail bitcoin pool stats, including blocksize votes by miners

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 02:45:20 PM

Agreed, fork proposals are not Bitcoin.

I also find naming fork proposals like XT and Classic kind of ridiculous. There's no need to try to add flavors or plant flags like that. Bitcoin is Bitcoin and if it's not then that's an irrelevant altcoin.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 01:50:05 AM

Interesting.. i guess his foundation 800k a year salary was well earned.

FUD first & ask questions later™
worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 11:36:39 PM

The hashrate behind those said to be supporting "Bitcoin Classic"

Source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/418sza/promotion_of_client_software_which_attempts_to/
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 02:37:25 AM

Any fork proposal is arguably not bitcoin and therefore an altcoin, discussion is this forum is better suited here imo anyway.

Intro:
Gavin Andresen's latest attempt to promote a blocksize cap increase consists of a to-be-developed bitcoin Core fork called Bitcoin Classic. According to the official website The software would increase the blocksize cap to 2Mb immediately and allow miners and users say they what they want.

Useful links:

I disagree pretty hard here. What "Bitcoin" is ain't what the Bitcoin Core devs say it is - it's what the PEOPLE using it say it is. If aforementioned people support something that the Core devs don't, and it's implemented and they use it, then it IS Bitcoin.

Yeah, don't waste your breath. I can't argue with those that think that a hard fork of bitcoin that gets an economic majority (miners/users/merchants) isn't bitcoin. I'm not going to participate in discussions of Bitcoin in the altcoin sections - just going to point my mining equipment at a pool that supports the consensus rules I agree with.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 02:43:23 AM

I'm not going to participate in discussions of Bitcoin in the altcoin sections

no complaints here  Kiss
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 02:44:18 AM

Intro:

Useful links:

I disagree pretty hard here. What "Bitcoin" is ain't what the Bitcoin Core devs say it is - it's what the PEOPLE using it say it is. If aforementioned people support something that the Core devs don't, and it's implemented and they use it, then it IS Bitcoin.

I agree both on the what people want and the authority of core devs part but a few vocal people foaming at the mouth trying to promote their fork (without even having a clue of the possible side effects of a hostile fork) is in now way representative of what most Bitcoin users want. I say a few vocal people because Bitcoin is way, way bigger than a bunch of people circlejerking on a couple of random forums.

Not your keys, not your coins!
worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 02:51:41 AM

Intro:

Useful links:

I don't make the rules, a thread like this would probably end up being moved here if I didn't do it myself. That's also the reason why I believe this is better suited here, because I've seen threads about other fork attempts being moved in the altcoin section.

But anyways, aside of this disclaimer on top of the OP, I hope I'm doing a good job at keeping this thread informative and neutral.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 03:51:15 PM

Simple answer: Bitcoin Classic is an Altcoin (something other than Bitcoin).
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 06:04:46 PM

"Altcoin" is a token of value based on an "alternative chain".

"Alternative chain" is a blockchain that stems from some other
genesis than that created by Satoshi.

So no, we can't really say Classic is an altcoin in the traditional
sense. Nomenclature needs an update.

“God does not play dice"
MicroGuy
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 06:09:18 PM

Don't all these blockchains stem from Satoshi? I think an Altcoin is any coin other than Bitcoin.
bitcreditscc

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 06:37:41 PM

Don't all these blockchains stem from Satoshi? I think an Altcoin is any coin other than Bitcoin.

Thus you need to define, what is Bitcoin? is it the git repo under the control of group A, B or C. Or is it the protocol?

MicroGuy
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 06:42:30 PM

Thus you need to define, what is Bitcoin? is it the git repo under the control of group A, B or C. Or is it the protocol?

I think we use the word Altcoin currently because it's convenient and a generally understood term.

It's not however, highly descriptive or completely accurate.

mrbodz

Activity: 800
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 03:27:15 AM

An altcoin by all standard definitions, is a currency which does not base itself off the bitcoin protocol. By MicroGuys definition, the bitcoin we all use today is not bitcoin. Why? because it has been changed through numerous forks (type irrelevant) which no longer make it the same bitcoin as it was when satoshi left it

Ahmed
MicroGuy
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2016, 03:42:24 AM

An altcoin by all standard definitions, is a currency which does not base itself off the bitcoin protocol. By MicroGuys definition, the bitcoin we all use today is not bitcoin. Why? because it has been changed through numerous forks (type irrelevant) which no longer make it the same bitcoin as it was when satoshi left it

Ahmed

No. Bitcoin is still bitcoin and core is still core. By my definition, anything outside of that is an altcoin.

FYI, here's the latest release candidate of "Bitcoin" >> https://bitcoin.org/bin/bitcoin-core-0.12.0/test/
worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:32:53 AM

f2pool's CTO on thresholds.

https://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin_Classic/comments/41dwnw/f2pool_cto_discusses_thresholds_with_core_devs_75/
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 04:39:58 AM

Nomenclature needs an update.

May I offer:

• The blockchain that you should trust is the valid blockhain that you can get that has the most proof of work.
  • A blockchain is valid if and only if the software you are running says that it is valid.
  • "The bitcoin blockchain" is the blockchain that you call "the bitcoin blockchain".

The question "in a persistent fork of the blockchain, which branch will be the real bitcoin?" is basically a religious question.  You should think about it as you would think of "in a schism of my Church, which side will be the True Church?".

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2016, 05:19:00 AM

The group/individual controlling reddit.com/r/bitcoin, bitcoin.org, bitcointalk.org, Github, and an alert key, has a strong leg up. Lips sealed

You can think of that power as the mainstream media on steroids back when there were only 4 channels on Television. I don't think there's any question what bitcoin is and what bitcoin is not. Bitcoin XT only had a slim chance because Gavin (Satoshi's successor and alert key holder) had momentarily sided with the enemy, before coming back to his senses thanks to good doctors who were able to correct/prescribe him back into the right chemical balance.
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 07:48:12 AM

The question "in a persistent fork of the blockchain, which branch will be the real bitcoin?" is basically a religious question.  You should think about it as you would think of "in a schism of my Church, which side will be the True Church?".

I'd say that after hard fork the majority chain will be the
"real" bitcoin. I don't think a situation with conflicting chains will persist very long.

This brings up a noteworthy point: the "real bitcoin" is more related to the blockchain
than to any particular client or even the protocol rules that a client implements.

As for the ecclesiastical aspect, I grant to Core the position of primus inter pares
but not infallibility!

“God does not play dice"
psionin

Activity: 465
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 08:27:19 AM

If the heart of a crypto currency is the chain of transactions and account balances, then it's only an "altcoin" if it disregards the current Bitcoin blockchain and starts over from the genesis block. Otherwise, it's merely a different version of Bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: