Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:53:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to secure your wallet from theft and loss  (Read 2425 times)
AaronM (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 01:38:54 AM

The problem is that you must secure your wallet from both loss AND theft, but to reduce the chances of loss by making more backups, you increase your chances of theft.

The answer: use Shamir's secret-sharing scheme.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamir's_Secret_Sharing
Command-line implementation (ssss): http://point-at-infinity.org/ssss/

You could store one copy on your hard drive, one you email to yourself, one on a USB key drive, one in a safe deposit box, one in your safe, one with a friend, etc.  If you have shares stored in 6 different locations, and you require 3 to recover the password to your encrypted wallet, then you can lose 3 of those shares with no problem!  A thief would also need to get 3 of the shares to recover the password.

Spare some BTC for a biology student? 1DZcEUEo9rX7LQWcYzVR6Btqj2sMqRznbB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ender

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:49:44 AM

But how do you chop down the password? What if you have 3 pieces, but 2 of them are the same?
AaronM (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 07:45:34 AM

But how do you chop down the password? What if you have 3 pieces, but 2 of them are the same?

No, all three pieces would be different.  The secret-sharing algorithm does the chopping down automatically and correctly for you.

theboos

Activity: 87

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:54:02 PM

Do you know why an integer implementation is insecure as stated on the Wikipedia page? I built a toy implementation in Mathematica but I can't see any way one could recover the constant term with fewer than k-1 points on the line.
ben-abuya

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 06:16:26 PM

This is awesome, I didn't realize there was an easy to use program for that.

For OS X users:

Code:
brew install ssss

Ubuntu / Debian

Code:
apt-get install ssss

http://lamassubtc.com/
Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
AaronM (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 11:15:49 PM

Do you know why an integer implementation is insecure as stated on the Wikipedia page? I built a toy implementation in Mathematica but I can't see any way one could recover the constant term with fewer than k-1 points on the line.

I'm not sure, but I believe it has to do with the infinite extent of integers.  I'm guessing that if you did it only with integers modulo a large prime number, it would be more secure.  I encourage you to read up on it Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: