Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:32:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is who in the PSU world??  (Read 1177 times)
ChrisHaefner (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 07:37:48 AM

Hi guys, so since I've been steadily upgrading miners. I obviously want to protect my investment. So in everyones5 experience which company makes the most steady and reliable  PSU for mining? I don't have the 220V circuit needed to power some of the better PSU's, so I'm kind of limited to PSU'S that can run on a standard outlet. I have several miners that have a single 1000 watt psu, to my big scrypt miner which requires 2x 1300 watt PSU's. I would like to have 2x 1500 watts on that machine but I'm not sure it's possible because of the power problem I mentioned.  Sorry if this turns into a Ford VS. Chevy  type of questions.  All I care about is a company that has solid psu's that will run hard. Thanks!

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 07:46:39 AM

Look at this thread, it is right above (or now right below) this thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1284563.0

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 07:48:53 AM

Or my favorite thread - written by yours truly.  Wink

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1294058.0

That works great at 120 volts

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 10:57:03 AM

Some of the server-based power supplies should have a nice long lifetime, but unless you're getting them used (and likely to have shorter lifespan) they tend to be VERY expen$ive.

IMO of standard ATX power supply makers, Seasonic is the best.
 EVGA's Supernova G2 series has generated a pretty good reputation though, and are usually a bit less expensive.

A standard 15 Amp US power outlet/circuit can handle a 1600 watt power supply comfortably (ignore the "derate by 20%" crowd, NEC already rates wiring and outlets VERY conservatively - it's the POWER SUPPLY that commonly wants to run at 80% or less for efficiency and better longevity).

In theory, a standard 20 Amp 115VAC circuit and outlet (common in commercial buildings and sometimes in home kitchens or as a washer circuit) could handle over 2000 watts easy, but nobody makes power supplies for that as it would be too small of a niche market - most PS makers figure if you need that kind of power you can run 220V or already have 220V circuits available.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 05:53:00 PM

In the ATX world, Seasonic, Flextronic, Superflower and Delta are king. They make the majority of high quality PSUs sold by Corsair, EVGA, Antec, etc.

With server PSUs, Delta is king, but really you can't go wrong with any server PSU brand. The only issue as mentioned by QuintLeo is that you have to buy them used, generally on eBay, and have no idea how they were used. You might only get a month out of them, or they might last for 5 years running 24/7 maxed out. To give you an idea, I purchased 20x 1200w server PSUs (same PSUs as kilo linked to but a step up, platinum versions) before Christmas from eBay and 9 were DOA with 2 more that died after about 2 weeks of use. Still have 3 to load test, so that leaves me with only 6 known good out of 20 so far. Not very good! But when they work, they're better than anything ATX.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 05:56:21 PM

I need to get me some of those Platinum DPS1200 and see how they behave.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:06:27 PM

They're fantastic when they work. I might have been unlucky and received a bad batch. They were all Rev 02f, might be good to note. The only thing I don't like is they suffer from a vdroop of about 0.2-0.25v under load. They're factory set to 12.29v which gives a voltage very close to 12v under load, and can be adjusted up to 12.4-12.6v before vdroop depending on the unit. They can be used in load sharing mode with up to 8 units, so you have a lot of flexibility. I've migrated my farm to using all PFE1100 plat PSUs or these 1200w plat PSUs. Only exception is my 162 chip S7s, they're on DPS2000 to get the highest voltage into them as possible to OC them as much as possible. (12.7-12.9v from my best DPS2000s)
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:15:24 PM

Nice. The new PSU board we're coming out with is designed to dual-purpose with DPS800 and DPS1200. I have only 1200FBA to test with but someone I sent a sample to mentioned he tested it with one of the platinum models with success. I did run a Batch 8 S7 for a week solid off a 1200FBA on our prototype board with no problems. I'm completely out of DPS2000 stuff, unfortunately.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:19:45 PM

Nice. The new PSU board we're coming out with is designed to dual-purpose with DPS800 and DPS1200. I have only 1200FBA to test with but someone I sent a sample to mentioned he tested it with one of the platinum models with success. I did run a Batch 8 S7 for a week solid off a 1200FBA on our prototype board with no problems. I'm completely out of DPS2000 stuff, unfortunately.

Oh, nice! Didn't know you were working on a new breakout board. Would be awesome if you could add a pot to adjust the PSU's voltage output. Don't know if that's possible, though. Will you eventually manufacture more DPS2000 boards?

DPS-1200FBA is exactly the same as the platinum DPS-1200FB-1 version, so they should indeed work perfectly with your board. I think all HP common slot PSUs would work with it, actually. They seem to be build with cross compatibility as a priority with HP's servers. Everything common slot I've seen has been built by Delta, which is nice.
sase007

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:20:01 PM

Hi guys, so since I've been steadily upgrading miners. I obviously want to protect my investment. So in everyones5 experience which company makes the most steady and reliable  PSU for mining? I don't have the 220V circuit needed to power some of the better PSU's, so I'm kind of limited to PSU'S that can run on a standard outlet. I have several miners that have a single 1000 watt psu, to my big scrypt miner which requires 2x 1300 watt PSU's. I would like to have 2x 1500 watts on that machine but I'm not sure it's possible because of the power problem I mentioned.  Sorry if this turns into a Ford VS. Chevy  type of questions.  All I care about is a company that has solid psu's that will run hard. Thanks!

Corsair may be good.
They may offer some PSUs for your sub220V circuit used.

(You may be able to, don't count on this, use two plugs to power the PSUs instead of one. This is dependent on if youc an find an engineer that could do this and may need some exposed cables!)
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 07:11:49 PM

Yeah, we're still gathering funding for a mass batch. Probably won't be generally available until around the end of February. Good to know the 1200 platinum would for sure work. Thanks for the info.
Load balancing and voltage adjustment aren't options, mostly because with support for different models of PSU there'd be no cost-effective way to implement it in a way that would work for every PSU the board supports.
More DPS2K boards will have to wait until I have resources to put into it. Right now I'm worried about stick miners, pod miners and DPS8/12 boards.

Running a 240V PSU off a pair of 120V circuits is possible, but a bit risky. You have to make sure to get circuits on opposite phases - which will probably reside in different rooms - and your cabling will be potentially dangerous. It'd be safer to put in a 240V circuit, even run to a single outlet right next to the panel, but not everyone's breakerbox is in a room that miners could be run in. So two 120V circuits is technically possible, but for most people it'd be a bad idea.

Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 07:37:49 PM

Yeah, we're still gathering funding for a mass batch. Probably won't be generally available until around the end of February. Good to know the 1200 platinum would for sure work. Thanks for the info.
Load balancing and voltage adjustment aren't options, mostly because with support for different models of PSU there'd be no cost-effective way to implement it in a way that would work for every PSU the board supports.
More DPS2K boards will have to wait until I have resources to put into it. Right now I'm worried about stick miners, pod miners and DPS8/12 boards.

Running a 240V PSU off a pair of 120V circuits is possible, but a bit risky. You have to make sure to get circuits on opposite phases - which will probably reside in different rooms - and your cabling will be potentially dangerous. It'd be safer to put in a 240V circuit, even run to a single outlet right next to the panel, but not everyone's breakerbox is in a room that miners could be run in. So two 120V circuits is technically possible, but for most people it'd be a bad idea.

No problem, information is meant to be shared. I understand that you have a lot on your plate, thanks for the update.

Regarding adding a 240v plug by the panel instead of in the room your miners will be; that's a great option, and is what I did personally. I installed a 30A 240v twist lock by my panel, and simply run an extension cord to the room where the miners run during the winter. It's not as elegant as passing the wires in walls, but if your basement is finished without open walls or ceilings it's the way to go. My wire snakes around walls and is generally out of sight and out of mind.
sase007

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 08:45:01 PM

No problem, information is meant to be shared. I understand that you have a lot on your plate, thanks for the update.

Regarding adding a 240v plug by the panel instead of in the room your miners will be; that's a great option, and is what I did personally. I installed a 30A 240v twist lock by my panel, and simply run an extension cord to the room where the miners run during the winter. It's not as elegant as passing the wires in walls, but if your basement is finished without open walls or ceilings it's the way to go. My wire snakes around walls and is generally out of sight and out of mind.

Quick Query, If it is in somewhere you don't want people to view the cables, you may be abe to put it in the skirting board, or in a discrete covering.

This would work quite well, though you may have to consider the amount of power that would be lost from adding in a long cable due to the resistance of it. You could always try to purchas a plug outlet from England or another country with 230/240V plugs. If you could find an electrician that could connect two times the amoutn of cables instead of one times, then this may work, extension leads cannot be used to do this.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 09:17:42 PM

Quick Query, If it is in somewhere you don't want people to view the cables, you may be abe to put it in the skirting board, or in a discrete covering.

This would work quite well, though you may have to consider the amount of power that would be lost from adding in a long cable due to the resistance of it. You could always try to purchas a plug outlet from England or another country with 230/240V plugs. If you could find an electrician that could connect two times the amoutn of cables instead of one times, then this may work, extension leads cannot be used to do this.

Covering it with cloth or something could be an option I suppose, but putting it behind a base board would likely constitute an electrical code violation in many jurisdictions. I know for sure that here in Canada, extension cables aren't allowed to be installed in or through walls. I think a base board, or skirt board as you called it, would probably be considered the same.

No need to get a UK or Euro plug/receptacle though, we have plenty of options available in NA for 240V covered by NEMA. For example:

Resistance would be no different than in wall wiring, except if the extension needs to be longer to snake around corners and along walls that in ceiling for example would avoid. It's a small issue that can predicted and offset by using a slightly larger AWG wire if so desired/required.
ChrisHaefner (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 05:07:04 AM

Thank you to you all! Very informative! I believe I am going to go with a brand new ATX from what I have seen from everyone.  I really like having the backup of a warranty if something went wrong. I guess it's time to check out some of these manufacturers? I'm guessing that buying straight from the manufacturer is best?

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 06:57:23 AM

Thank you to you all! Very informative! I believe I am going to go with a brand new ATX from what I have seen from everyone.  I really like having the backup of a warranty if something went wrong. I guess it's time to check out some of these manufacturers? I'm guessing that buying straight from the manufacturer is best?

I really suggest giving server PSU's one more look.  They really have kinda taken over on mining, lower cost and normally good to great quality.   And they have a lot more PCIe cables on some then most ATX's use.

But if you do go ATX you don't have to get from manufacture.  I like newegg on RMA they are pretty good if needed.  Amazon is a given to.   Just keep all the info about how long warranty goes to with receipt.  Having the proof of purchase showing date is what they will want on RMA.   

But again I really stress looking at a nice server psu.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2016, 12:53:27 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2016, 01:03:32 PM by philipma1957

Thank you to you all! Very informative! I believe I am going to go with a brand new ATX from what I have seen from everyone.  I really like having the backup of a warranty if something went wrong. I guess it's time to check out some of these manufacturers? I'm guessing that buying straight from the manufacturer is best?

I really suggest giving server PSU's one more look.  They really have kinda taken over on mining, lower cost and normally good to great quality.   And they have a lot more PCIe cables on some then most ATX's use.

But if you do go ATX you don't have to get from manufacture.  I like newegg on RMA they are pretty good if needed.  Amazon is a given to.   Just keep all the info about how long warranty goes to with receipt.  Having the proof of purchase showing date is what they will want on RMA.  

But again I really stress looking at a nice server psu.

having the up grade to  240 volts and getting   the dual 2000/4000 watts  psu from finksy

allows for  3 s-7's to run or  3-4 avalon's to run

but 120 volt options are :

this does 1 s-7 on 120 volts
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-AX1500i-Titanium-Efficiency-CP-9020057-NA/dp/B00MFJ4OBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452862432&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+1500

this does 1 s-7 on 120 volts

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-TITANIUM-Crossfire-220-T2-1600-X1/dp/B00R33ZBQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452862510&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+1600+t2

if you want avalon6's

1 avalon6 on 120 volts

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-120-G2-1300-XR/dp/B00COIZTZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452862577&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+1300+g2
http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SS-1250XM-ATX-Power-Supply/dp/B00607JLWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452862622&sr=8-1&keywords=seasonic+1250
http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-ATX12V-Platinum-PLATINUM-1200-SS-1200XP3/dp/B00JG5LSN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452862643&sr=8-1&keywords=seasonic+1200
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Digital-Modular-Platinum/dp/B008Q7HUR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452862671&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+1200
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Performance-ATX12V-Supply-CP-9020070-NA/dp/B00U6GTONM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452862671&sr=8-2&keywords=corsair+1200

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Current-ATX12V-HCP-1300-Platinum/dp/B00DJ5A238/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452862722&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+1300

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-HCP130P

for an in house setup with 120 volts any of the above work.

but owning testing almost everything above.

if you stick with in house get the antec 1300 from superbiiz or amazon  and get an avalon6
read this thread below on how to get a single avalon6

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1318003.0

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 02:44:06 PM

A bit of self promotion here, but check out my for sale thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1289555.0

You'll save a nice chunk VS buying new. Anything in that thread that is listed 1250w or above can handle an S7 from batch 1 to 7. For batch 8 or 9, you'll want 1300w and above.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:33:16 PM

I have a bunch of them and they are GREAT
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:42:57 AM

In the ATX world, Seasonic, Flextronic, Superflower and Delta are king. They make the majority of high quality PSUs sold by Corsair, EVGA, Antec, etc.

Flextronic and Superflower are strictly OEM as I recall. Hard to tell sometimes what power supplies are made by them.

Delta I'd forgotten about - but I still have that one model made specifically for some of the Tyan dual-Athlon motherboards.
 I just wish it had more +12V instead of a ton of +3.3V and poor efficiency (it LONG predates 80Plus).

Newegg RMA is good if the item dies quickly (infant mortality is the most common timeframe of failure for ANYTHING electronic, thank goodness).
 They also are a lot easier to search for applicable PS - Amazon sometimes has better pricing but their search functionality is almost non-existant.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: