Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:24:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Money laundering  (Read 2922 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 02:48:13 AM

You know what ?

I don't give a sh.t if Bitcoin can be used for money laundering !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2010, 02:52:08 AM

One time I heard that some people used dollars for money laundering. I expected that would be the end of the dollar, still waiting...

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 04:33:27 AM

When everything is illegal, all money will need laundering.
Sjalq

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2010, 03:31:37 PM

When everything is illegal, all money will need laundering.

Profound

Cheesy mine mine mine mine mine mine mine Cheesy
*Image Removed*
18WMxaHsxx6FuvbQbeA33UZud1bnmD7xY3
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2010, 03:49:07 PM

place all money into mtgox.com
wait for transactions to happen
withdraw money is laundered

more smaller transactions more anonymity

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 29, 2010, 04:10:11 PM

Isn't there a confusion here?
Making anonymous transfers is not money laundering. As far as I understand, money laundering consists in converting "dirty income" into official, tax-paying income. So, it's not anonymous transfers a money launder needs, it's "fake transactions" that really look like an official one. It's better not to try to cover your traces with anonymous transactions because that may raise even more alerts...
I mean, suppose you have a dirty income. Throwing it into an "anonymous gateway" like bitcoin services won't make it clean.... you'll still need to find an official justification for your income.

I confess I'm not at all an expert in money laundering so I may be missing something. Cheesy
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2010, 04:20:19 PM

There's bitcoinlaundry.com, but I'm not sure it is effective.  All the transactions are still in the block chain, so you could just compare timestamps and amounts.  Am I wrong?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2010, 04:21:55 PM

Okay then dont tell anyone you have dirty money as it exists on a second invisible person use it to buy some virtual good like your own art on pastecoin/bitcoinconnection and claim it as legit money

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2010, 08:21:02 PM

There's bitcoinlaundry.com, but I'm not sure it is effective.  All the transactions are still in the block chain, so you could just compare timestamps and amounts.  Am I wrong?

You need a service that will let you send multiple, random-looking amounts at different times, and then, some time later, send an amount to the destination.   And then refunds any extra you sent (and you should send extra).  And if you're really paranoid, it should allow you to give several refund addresses, and random amounts of coins get refunded to each.

Then you need to trust that service, which is the really big security hole.  What better way to catch money launderers than to setup a money laundering service for them?

You're probably better off doing what has been suggested several times-- move coins between 'shared wallet' services like MyBitcoin or MtGox (and/or ClearCoin) or just between two machines of your own that are both running bitcoin.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Anonymous

December 29, 2010, 09:48:59 PM

Send cash in the mail then get bitcoins in return. Money successfully laundered .  Cheesy
mimarob

Activity: 354
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 29, 2010, 11:26:50 PM

Did anyone see that movie "Mickey Blueeyes"?

One of the gangsters is in therapy and makes lousy paintings of his worst deads.

Then the other gangster sells them at an auction, the presumed bidder is one of their associates, which needs a legal way to deduct his payments for "services".

Only prob. is now that the painter is famous, other people starts bidding fantasy prices for the pictures as well.

Hillarious, and educative.

Personally I don't think I'd ever have to explain where I got black money from, there are plenty of spending-holes that don't show to stuff them in :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: