Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:14:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocksize - free market or managed economy?  (Read 845 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Matias

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 11:44:35 AM

Could you please explain to newbie, what is the problem with increasing block size? What harm would it make, if block size was e.g. 2Mb?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_size_limit_controversy

orphan rate amplification is somehow be addressed with the implementation of subchain

i think some of those concerns are not even a real threat, they are a bit magnified...primarily satoshi has limited it for ddos issues

From that article "Larger blocks make full nodes more expensive to operate". This refers to running Bitcoin core, right?

What difference would it make, if block is 1 or 2 Mb?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 11:47:39 AM

Could you please explain to newbie, what is the problem with increasing block size? What harm would it make, if block size was e.g. 2Mb?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_size_limit_controversy

orphan rate amplification is somehow be addressed with the implementation of subchain

i think some of those concerns are not even a real threat, they are a bit magnified...primarily satoshi has limited it for ddos issues

From that article "Larger blocks make full nodes more expensive to operate". This refers to running Bitcoin core, right?

What difference would it make, if block is 1 or 2 Mb?

probably related to bandwith, but they are not talking about real numbers for every of those point, i'm sure they are not a big concern, we have no full node in any case, with or without a block limit, so for me it looks like pure fud
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 11:55:49 AM

Our network is being run on the back of laptops from the 90s and 35 dollar Raspberry_Pi computers the size of credit cards that don't have enough RAM to hold backlogs of the Mempool (the waiting list of bitcoin)
 Our users are connecting to this network over very low bandwidth connections preventing them from running full nodes and participating in securing the network. Raising the block size would raise the bandwidth and hardware requirements for all full node client users and miners.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
rebuilder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 12:16:16 PM

Our network is being run on the back of laptops from the 90s and 35 dollar Raspberry_Pi computers the size of credit cards that don't have enough RAM to hold backlogs of the Mempool (the waiting list of bitcoin)
 Our users are connecting to this network over very low bandwidth connections preventing them from running full nodes and participating in securing the network. Raising the block size would raise the bandwidth and hardware requirements for all full node client users and miners.

Is that the case? Can you point to statistics on the hardware capabilities of currently running full nodes?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Matias

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 12:27:34 PM

My wag is that nodes are run by persons, who have at least average bandwidth and average hardware.

I have bitcoin core running on my PC. Of course I could go to garage and dig my ten years old laptop for this, but why.

If this is the main reason not to implement larger block size, it sounds very far reached.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: