Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:38:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: State of Alt. Coins - Post Mike Hearn Announcement?  (Read 2035 times)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 12:07:58 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2016, 04:19:15 AM by TPTB_need_war

China can SPV mine, which they do already, but it is risky and puts them at a further disadvantage.

Why? They can control the pool abroad.

A pool abroad is a loser. It just adds latency.

That doesn't add any latency that they wouldn't have already with small blocks.

Yes it does. Block is solved in China. If it is sent to a mining pool in China, that mining pool and the other ones in China receive it right away. If it has to go over GFW twice, as would be the case with a pool node outside China, then there is added latency.

Incorrect. The pool still has to propagate the block solution to the block chain which means all block solutions have to propagate across the GFW (so it always double for incoming/outgoing block solutions regardless whether the pool is inside or outside China's wall). The size of the blocks is irrelevant as I said.

The block solution can be propagated directly to others inside of China even if the pool is also outside.

They would have to build a custom solution to do that, and then deal with maintaining it and potentially being exploited in some manner. If forced, they will likely do exactly that, but they would prefer not to.

I'm not referring to what is theoretically possible (maybe, if there aren't some non-obvious ways to exploit it) but what is readily deployable using existing tools.

1,312,500 BTC mined per year @ $300+ profit = $400 million annually (assuming the very low < $50 costs for mining for 2 cents hydropower and latest ASICs). Chinese are mining an estimate of 67% of that apparently.

They can afford to build that custom software solution.

The Chinese miners are lying.

Expect corruption at the highest levels. Probably are getting subsidized electricity for free. Etc.

Bitcoin has already been 51% attacked. End of story.

We MUST eliminate profitable mining (my design)!

Edit:

Quote from: anonymous
Maybe those Chinese miners are puppets for corrupt Chinese ministers?  Maybe due to the crackdown on corruption, electricity for Bitcoin is more stealthily than transferring bank money?

That was also one of my thoughts about the possibilities.

But also consider that the core devs of Bitcoin can't be this dumb. Surely they also know about this and have covered it up.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 11:24:03 AM

Bitcoin "is a fucking toy" when compared to VISA and yet in it's realm it has done quite well at being better than cash for many things.  I know a guy who purchased land by taking it across international borders.  I've used it multiple times for things VISA was not useful for.

By my measure bitcoin was a success and now it's outlived it's prime.  

I view Monero and Ethereum in the same light.  I'm sure you would have pointed out bitcoins flaws when it was $10 per coin and said "This will never work." out of some of the same principles you are using now.  

You are one of those who peruse perfection and I wholeheartedly respect that.  

But I'm not hearing any alternatives from you.  And as you so graciously pointed out - I'm a n00b.  I can't fix all the problems you point out.  So my two choices are opt out of the market.  Or pick the least bad losers.  When I perceive them to no longer be the least bad - I will move on to whatever else is the least bad.  I know it's not your strategy - but it's mine.

By your standards bitcoin was fundamentally broken years ago.  But it paid off for those who picked "the least bad option."

BTW I wasn't the one who posted your stuff on the reddit ethereum forum.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 12:19:04 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2016, 01:55:38 PM by TPTB_need_war

Bitcoin "is a fucking toy" when compared to VISA and yet in it's realm it has done quite well at being better than cash for many things.  I know a guy who purchased land by taking it across international borders.  I've used it multiple times for things VISA was not useful for.

By my measure bitcoin was a success and now it's outlived it's prime.

And I never said otherwise.

Since when did "it is centralized" and "it has been 51% attacked" constitute a statement that Bitcoin had no utility  Huh

You put words in my mouth that I never spoke, because you are trying to rationalize your investments in Monero and Ethereum. Thus you have lost your objectivity, not me.

I view Monero and Ethereum in the same light.  I'm sure you would have pointed out bitcoins flaws when it was $10 per coin and said "This will never work." out of some of the same principles you are using now.

I did point out in 2013 exactly how Bitcoin would end up failing, which I said would be game theory of centralization around mining. And I was correct.

I never wrote that Bitcoin would have no utility and in fact I wrote that the utility of Bitcoin was very inspiring. Why do you reckon I am still here in crypto if I didn't think so!

Problem Monero has is that there is very little demand for an anonymity for which the reliability is unprovable. It is a marketing utility problem, which Bitcoin doesn't suffer. Even if we did implement provable anonymity (e.g. Zerocash not Zerocoin), it still not clear if markets for anonymity would be great, especially if the decentralized, permissionless attribute isn't assured, because the government can simply take control over centralized mining and force the anonymity to be stripped off. OTOH, companies are saying that privacy is very important to them and perhaps they do not mean hiding from the NSA. And public block chains using encryption are superior conceptually to private block chains using perimeters defenses because even sneakernets fail (e.g. Stuxnet). But the things corporations want privacy on are the block chain 2.0 features that Ethereum is working on. The corporations aren't interested just in crypto currency alone as that doesn't have much utility to them. Cryptonote (especially combined with Confidential Transactions that hide values) is a very technologically interesting concept, but without any significant utility in the markets.

Problem Ethereum has is that programmable block chains are an overly ambitious clusterfuck. And it isn't clear that the major markets for block chain utility require a fully programmable block chain. And the developers of Ethereum are basically clueless and have been making it up as they go along. You are basically investing in research. That guy Vlad has changed designs numerous times and has come up with some of the most stupid ideas, as even he admits. They haven't been able to think it through from start to finish as to what design they should use. And their current direction on scaling looks to me to be another clusterfuck.

However I am also curious about smart contracts, block chain applications, and programmable block chains. And maybe I will come to different conclusions after I have more time to analyze all the issues of those extended ideas. At the moment, my research is more focused on scaling crypto currency.

You are one of those who peruse perfection and I wholeheartedly respect that.

You mistake sobering analysis for being some form of demanding perfection. I demand only that I understand the issues of a technology.

But I'm not hearing any alternatives from you.  And as you so graciously pointed out - I'm a n00b.  I can't fix all the problems you point out.  So my two choices are opt out of the market.  Or pick the least bad losers.  When I perceive them to no longer be the least bad - I will move on to whatever else is the least bad.  I know it's not your strategy - but it's mine.

Then you haven't read about the design I proposed in the decentralization thread I started this week in this Altcoin Discussion forum.

And as you so graciously pointed out - I'm a n00b.  I can't fix all the problems you point out.  So my two choices are opt out of the market.  Or pick the least bad losers.  When I perceive them to no longer be the least bad - I will move on to whatever else is the least bad.  I know it's not your strategy - but it's mine.

You are not forced to invest in cryptocurrency. An investor needs to be unbiased and flexible. For the moment, I am investing in the US dollar, until some clarity is obtained in the crypto scene.

By your standards bitcoin was fundamentally broken years ago.  But it paid off for those who picked "the least bad option."

I told rpietila back at the start of 2013 when Bitcoin was < $10, that I approved of his decision to sell $100,000 of silver and buy 10,000 Bitcoins. Unfortunately I couldn't follow him into the investment because I had been so ill since May, 2012 and had lost $75,000 in the markets during June through August. This was caused by some craziness in my life (something about my ex yanking my kids from the Philippines and my endocrine system going bezerk). So unfortunately I had to stay on the sidelines, but never did I argue against investing in Bitcoin when it was at such a low price. When Bitcoin hit $1000, I began to argue that the direction would be downwards and lately the clarity on the bottom should be < $150 in Q1 or Q2 2016.

At this point I am trying to contemplate what is going to happen to Bitcoin given these issues revolving around scaling. I don't see any technical solutions for Bitcoin other than to centralize and then raise the block size. Maybe that is what will happen. At this time, I need to be focused on coding and not trying to analyze the complex possibilities of what might happen with Bitcoin from here forward.

BTW I wasn't the one who posted your stuff on the reddit ethereum forum.

No problem I am happy we were able to discuss some of the details about Ethereum over there.

I told rpietila back at the start of 2013 when Bitcoin was < $10, that I approved of his decision to sell $100,000 of silver and buy 10,000 Bitcoins.

Would you approve such decision for Ethereum today?   rpietila would only have to sell $10,000 of silver for ~10,000 ETH.

Bitcoin clearly had momentum at the start of 2013, and it was a technological concept that was so revolutionary that it was clearly going to take the world by storm.

Ethereum not. The conceptual technology isn't even threshed out yet, and they are adding more and more complexity on top.

If I am somehow wrong about some killer app that requires a programmable block chain and some way that Ethereum's complex design process is able to solidify (and for all that to occur this year), then I will be quite shocked.

We tend to get so excited about a programmable block chain because we think that implies that there are unbounded cases of apps that can be written, but as Ethereum is discovering as they go through the research process, is that so many limitations have to placed on the scripts in order to achieve scalability that I argue much of the generality is also lost. For example, scripts can't be allowed to read/write from any state that any other script could, because then commutativity of block chain ordering is lost. There is the Tragedy of Commons issue around fees (gas) that I raised. Etc..

It is difficult to access how the 51% attack the Chinese miners did on Bitcoin is going to play out.

Btw, to follow my logic, then follow my posts in the Altcoin Discussion forum.

Any one interested in analyzing Ethereum, then start here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1219023.msg13583753#msg13583753
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1329136.msg13577121#msg13577121

I believe Armstrong's timing for a gold low is roughly March, if that has not changed since his earlier gold reports. We will have to see if Bitcoin follows gold down in a liquidity crisis event or not. Right now everything sure seems to be quiet in the global markets, but maybe the quiet precedes the storm.

So yes Armstrong could end up being wrong about gold and I could even be further wrong about Bitcoin following gold down. So shorting is risky.

Note I have revealed that the Chinese miners are lying. See the discussion between smooth and myself. As this revelation spreads out, what happens if the Chinese miners are caught in a huge corruption and decide to liquidate their mining equipment? Or some other rash action in our community.

It is really difficult to access how this clusterfuck of block scaling economics is going to play out for Bitcoin. I haven't expended enough time doing the 3D chess analysis on it.

rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 10:05:32 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2016, 10:16:48 PM by rdnkjdi

I read your entire reply.  I don't disagree with anything you said.

I do think there may be some intermediate solutions on a programmable blockchain with projects like Augur (Intrade on the blockchain), decentralized exchange and currency type swaps.  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-09-01/blythe-masters-tells-banks-the-blockchain-changes-everything.

I'm also witnessing the continued clampdown of US government on currency (eBay reports to the IRS on yearly sales for individuals now).  I'm continuing to see it more and more.  This pressure / friction from the governments will at some point force free capital somewhere.  

Cryptocurrency is my hedge/bet on this.  Of the solutions that exist - what do you recommend?  Nothing?
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 10:23:13 PM

Bitcoin has maxed out it's design at 1/10000 of the volume that VISA does daily.

The entire crypto space is  a "toy" in the sense that it's a Zero Sum Game...
Where 2% of the players have made off with all the money... and 98% are bagholders in denial.

Stocks, forex, poker, sports betting, crypto... it's all 2% winners and 98% bagholders.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:29:11 PM

double bottom below $1000 in March
Than one more time on 2017...

...I believe Armstrong's timing for a gold low is roughly March, if that has not changed since his earlier gold reports. We will have to see if Bitcoin follows gold down in a liquidity crisis event or not. Right now everything sure seems to be quiet in the global markets, but maybe the quiet precedes the storm.

So yes Armstrong could end up being wrong about gold and I could even be further wrong about Bitcoin following gold down. So shorting is risky...

EDIT:

...And gold is going to < $700 by end of Q1 2016...

You mention "...a gold low.." So, in your judgement, and while aknowledging the uncertainty, do you imagine a single low / bottom by end of Q1 2016, or double low / bottom by end of 2017?

My writing is very sloppy and missing words (that I hear in my head but forget to type), because I am far too overloaded due to the rate of posting and number of waking versus sleeping hours, in addition to all the other work and tasks I am attempting to do. You all simply can't expect one man to be superman. Impossible. Even the coherence of my writing and thoughts declines as the load increases. It is a documented fact that brain damage results from these sort of patterns of activity (lack of sleep, etc). Especially not good for age 50.7 and trying to cure come chronic dysfunction of the bile duct that has systemic effects in terms of chronic fatigue syndrome, peripheral neuropathy, headaches, whole body itchiness (to the point of having wounds all over my body when I scratch while sleeping) and other symptoms which mimic Multiple Sclerosis (but I now envision I don't have MS but rather the yellow stomach is more likely pancreatic or gall bladder issue, maybe cancer or blockage for other reason).

I consistently stated that I thought the capitulation low would be < $150, perhaps < $100. Last May I predicted the rise to $320 exactly and expected it could begin the decline to the expected bottom. You can find the discussion mostly in kLee's PnF thread in Speculation forum. You find there my exact prediction stating that it could rise back up to maximum of $450 (or maybe I said $400 to $500 range) before making the decline to $150. I also stated that I would be stopped out at $380 if that scenario played out and had I been short (but later I realized had I been short from $320, I would have closed my shorts in the mid-$200s as it was meandering there). The $400 - $500 level was based on some chart analysis and the details are in that PnF thread. Around August or so with the approachin 2015.75, I was on the lookout as to whether the decline to the bottom would come precipitously. But then someone shared with me a copy of Armstrong's gold report and I became  aware that the predicted low was roughly March 2016. So then I began to expect the final capitulation low would come Q1 2016. I stated this publicly. I also had more confirmation that Bitcoin was going to rise again when it meandered in the mid-$200s.

As for a double-bottom or whether the bottom with be V shaped or U shaped, I don't have any ideas other than I expect the crash of Bitcoin is going to be due to fundamentals such as the realization that the Chinese miners control Bitcoin. And thus I don't expect any quick rise back up.

Actually it is very difficult now to analyze the future of crypto. I just know I see an incredible opportunity for me given I have a design which solves these technical problems, so I need to busy coding and not posting about these matters.

Another perspective could be that Bitcoin will be centralized and the block chain size increased and that we've already seen the bottom at the V bottom dip to $150 before.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:47:02 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2016, 06:14:07 PM by TPTB_need_war

I do think there may be some intermediate solutions on a programmable blockchain with projects like Augur (Intrade on the blockchain), decentralized exchange

See my critique which says those technologies can't work:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg13576188#msg13576188
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg13580146#msg13580146
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg13569559#msg13569559

...at some point force free capital somewhere.  

Cryptocurrency is my hedge/bet on this.  Of the solutions that exist - what do you recommend?  Nothing?

Here is what I am doing... (albeit I have only about $20,000 at the moment and it isn't even my money...I have roughly $0 networth...yikes  Shocked)

US Dollar until gold makes it's low March 2016 (or thereabouts and < $1000 perhaps < $850), then buy physical gold coins (not bullion!) or an ETF proxy short-term while retaining some US dollars (until as late as early 2017 before capital controls will be pervasive) and wait for the cryptocurrency arena to become more clear. There is appears to be great risk of a major implosion of crypto land.

Trade gold or dollars for crypto as the situation becomes more clear.

Of course no problem with speculation with 1% of net worth (maybe 5% total max for speculative longshots) in promising technological ventures, but don't go all-in on anything which doesn't have the momentum and clarity that Bitcoin had in late 2012 and early 2013. And don't ever buy so much of a speculative longshot, that you lose your objectivity such as what IMO has happened to some of the hardcore Monero/Aeon investors (which would force one to go around thumping their chest instead of listening and continually readjusting based on available data).

Note I probably won't buy gold because I don't have enough capital to make it worth while, can't obtain the coins in Philippines, and I don't want to re-enter a brokerage again to buy an ETF. So it will be all US dollars for me.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 10:07:46 PM

Bumping up against the hard limit is probably wastefully expensive for this "attack"

What expense?

[...]mining equipment next to a hydropower plant with 2 - 4 cents electricity or for that matter perhaps free subsidized electricity in corrupt environs such as China[...]

You're suggesting mining is (or can be) free? That's absurd. Even if it were free, this attack still costs you the reward.

I am suggesting the State (or those corrupt who control it) can charge the cost of mining to the collective (think the Three Gorges Dam that wrecked environmental devastation downstream, upstream and derivative effects all over China). I have made this point numerous times. And apparently (after everyone said I was crazy), it came true in China and if true was a factor that enabled China to capture an estimated 67% of the mining and 51% attack Bitcoin. Documentation of these statements is in my vaporcoin thread.

If the profit from shorting is greater than the reward, then it doesn't cost you anything. The free mining cost just makes it more likely you can sustain it long enough to reap your reward. How do we know the Chinese won't milk the investors while the block reward is high (mining at near $0 cost charging it the cost to the collective) and then also profit by shorting it all the way down from $1000.

We are bunch of naive geeks who are being reamed (mined) by savvy traders and strategists. These are no different conceptually than Rothschild's and Rockefeller's methods of yore. The players and technological field change, the game remains the same. (Yeah I am crazy conspiracy theorist whose analysis is always wrong)

Edit: haven't you been slightly suspicious of why the MSM publicized Bitcoin so much. That doesn't happen without the approval the global elite.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: