Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:25:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [VIDEO] Me melting Silver and casting an ingot  (Read 6604 times)
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 12:52:27 PM

Interesting video, but I agree with tecshare.  I don't see how this clears up the trainwreck?
Trainwreck? If you're referring to any past event I'm tired of speaking on it. I'm just going to video the process for each ingot from now on in-case anyone is skeptical/wants some evidence.

A few thoughts from someone who spent a few years doing videography and video editing.

If you're going to keep recording each ingot crafting, invest in a tripod and a better quality camera (one that can actually focus in on proof marks). and a helmet cam. This way you have two angles/perspectives that you can then edit together so that you have a good representation of your process.

while interesting to watch, your initial vids were tough/irritating to follow. camera flips, inversions, shaking, etc. can make potential customers question your abilities/professionalism. Won't even get into your narrative/speech mannerisms. You're a young guy, some slang/ghetto/hip/whatever the hell you kids speak these days is to be expected, but make some notes or cue cards to keep yourself on track so you don't get off on tangents unrelated to melting/smelting silver pieces, pouring and finishing ingots. Did anybody care that "wal-mart is kind of pussy"? No, all they needed to know was that you can't get a MAG-torch there. Again, it's professionalism. If you want to be taken seriously as someone people can trust to produce a quality product, inject a little professionalism into your work. Making all sorts of Beavis and Butthead noises while the silver was being heated was just lame. "ooh yeah, lookit that shit! fuck yeah hehehehehe" makes you sound like a kid with a lighter burning anything he can get his hands on.

other than a few seconds intro, and a few seconds summary, keep the camera shot on the process/product. nobody wants to see you talking through half the video, we want to see what you're doing.

So, if I was a little harsh in my critique of your videos, my apologies. I'd like to see you succeed and refine your process/products to something people would want to collect.

Good luck!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 01:36:32 PM

You could have bought fake sterling which was .8 not .925; just like you bought fake Cubans thinking they were real. Or are you saying you are such an expert silversmith that you can tell fake/low sterling from .925?

Well, that is an interesting point, but finding "fake" sterling silver is much more difficult that you can even imagine. The legal penalty for misrepresenting your product when making it out of silver, and stamping the .925 hallmark when it isn't is outrageous.  That and, for the risk, it really isn't worth the reward. At current market spot price, 1 Oz of sterling silver is $27.65 and 1 Oz of 80% silver $23.92. By stamping .925 on non .925 silver, you face jail time that would be much better earned peddling drugs, or something much more profitable.

Really, the only way of getting .8 silver would be from Canadian silver coins.
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 01:57:54 PM

You could have bought fake sterling which was .8 not .925; just like you bought fake Cubans thinking they were real. Or are you saying you are such an expert silversmith that you can tell fake/low sterling from .925?

Well, that is an interesting point, but finding "fake" sterling silver is much more difficult that you can even imagine. The legal penalty for misrepresenting your product when making it out of silver, and stamping the .925 hallmark when it isn't is outrageous.  That and, for the risk, it really isn't worth the reward. At current market spot price, 1 Oz of sterling silver is $27.65 and 1 Oz of 80% silver $23.92. By stamping .925 on non .925 silver, you face jail time that would be much better earned peddling drugs, or something much more profitable.

Really, the only way of getting .8 silver would be from Canadian silver coins.

Is the penalty worse than the penalty for putting lead/poison in childrens toys? Because the Chinese have done that on many, many products. Think if they did that they wouldnt stick a stamp on some metal to make it 25% more valuable?

People do shady crap all the time without thought for the penalty (or in a country where there is none)

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 08:40:28 AM

I really enjoyed the videos. I've never seen the process before.

Can you please make a video of you refining the 925 silver into 999 silver? I'm interested in seeing how that process works.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:52:13 AM

I believe it is a flux to bring down the melting point of metals.

On a side note: just so you know making videos of your activities doesn't prove anything (much like your offer to videotape you mailing me silver). All it proves is you melted an unidentified metal on camera, or dropped an envelope in a mail box. Hardly proof of anything just so you are aware. Additionally are you aware you can lose silver by overheating it? It will literally evaporate. Perhaps that was the issue you may have had with your content dispute?
You all saw what I put on the scale, and while hallmarks are tough to see, there's no real debating anything in that video wasn't sterling.

Of course it could be debated. You could have bought fake sterling which was .8 not .925; just like you bought fake Cubans thinking they were real. Or are you saying you are such an expert silversmith that you can tell fake/low sterling from .925?

Also, I volunteered with Tecshare to drive to my local drop box where I was going to video myself counting out each coin, taping it down or otherwise packaging it, showing the shipping address and finally putting it in the mailbox-where its out of my hands. If that doesn't prove anything I don't know what does.

That proves nothing as nobody is saying you sold shady coins (yet). Only that you sold bars @ .99 which assayed from .925 to .88.

Also showing someones shipping address on youtube that you are sending bullion to would be the height of retardation.

Super simple stuff.

When you post ridiculousness like this I can't help but call you out
I'm serious. Stay off my posts or I will ask to have you blocked from me. If you can find jewelry thats made of 80% silver id think you were a half-way decent person. Silver all over the world is marked 925. By international enforcement, it all has to be-either 925, sterling silver, sterling, ss, etc.
You know one thing, too? I'm honest. a good deal of trust is required for this site, and I would never scam anyone. Don't even say I tried to scan you dude, dont even try. Do you have a job? Or is it really worth so much of your time to argue over less than $5/silver. Sorry the bars werent pure, but you have and paid for more silver than you would have if you just got the ingots-I included the half dollar. When you wanted to "return" your item I even offered you a washington quarter. I know exactly why you're mad, and I'll say it again: You got a really good deal on my silver. You wanted to flip it but realized that trading silver from a non-professional mint proves to be rather difficult. My ingots are meant for long-term investing, not for doing whatever you planned on doing with them.
Second of all, did I ever mention uploading a video of anyone's address to YouTube? Did I? Once?
People can believe what they want to believe, but I put on my life and everything I love I'm not here to rip people off/scam them. I never have and I never will.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:58:04 AM

Last thing to "African Hunter": Did your assay come with any literature? You have a receipt. Now never talk to me again.
I'm going to have someone else film from now on. About the .99...I guess I can't do it. I believed strongly it would be .99 because I made sure to keep the temperature right at silvers melting point. I should probably remind everyone that African Hunter got the first ingots I ever made, and he knew that when he bought them. Then I'd pour and all the alloy crap would stay in the crucible. I'm sticking to 925+ (w/shot) bars now.
Although, I've been looking into it and you can remove impurities from 925 silver or 90% coins. It involves acids, etc. Maybe someday.
DobZombie

Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:44:23 PM

Can you please make a video of you refining the 925 silver into 999 silver? I'm interested in seeing how that process works.

Yeah, I'd like to see that too. I get the feeling that the magic ingredient is... MAGIC & and adding more .925 silver.

o.0

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:01:24 PM

Yeah, I'd like to see that too. I get the feeling that the magic ingredient is... MAGIC & and adding more .925 silver.

o.0

He nearly burned himself and nearly took off a finger in this video. Now you want him handling acids? This is not gonna end well.
Snipes777

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:25:33 PM

The only way ((X) .925 + (Y) .999) / (X+Y) = .99 is when a X/Y = 1/7.222 or the denominator is higher, of course.

If you want .999 purity with .999 and .925, then putting in .925 ruins the bar unless you go through the acid process or whatever you were talking about. I'm not sure which of these purities he is attempting to achieve, but .99 is theoretically possible with a very high ratio of shot to sterling. Of course, this assumes that his process introduces no impurities, which- at best- I would deem highly unlikely.

If you want to sell bars that have .99 purity, you almost certainly need to improve your process in some way. Just mathematically this seems to not make sense. If you can come up with a way to prove this to me, then let me know.

Otherwise, I think that you need to mark your bars as less than .99 and it means that less than .925 is easily possible. You can't take .925, introduce impurities and then throw in a magic small amount of .999 shot and expect .99 at the end.

Plus you should start using troy ounces instead of ounces. That has been mentioned before.

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:28:28 AM

I'd like to see the two skeptics there produce anything silver. And the only way to get the alloy out of 925 silver definitively is w/the use of acids. There's copper, zinc and a couple others in there. Maybe one day if I continue to pursue this I'll make .99 rounds. But now, with the equipment I have (purchased from Home Depot for $50 and about $10 worth of stuff from the Grocery store-thats right everyone, I'm not the US Mint), I'm going to stick to 925 bars. Its pretty easy-just buy the scrap and some shot, throw em in the crucible and find a suitable mold-which is also not easy. I don't have the money to buy big professional graphite or cast iron molds. I think that what I produce considering the resources I have is pretty good. And so do people who have bought from me on here and elsewhere (with one exception I don't care to mention).
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:56:10 AM

Well, you could assay each of your bars (at least the larger ones) at a nearby pawn shop/jewellery shop which provides a simple printout before selling em. That'll  keep problems like this out.

PS: I've deleted your reply at someone else's selling thread advertising your own products. Please do not do so at the future as it's considered OT and a bad form of sales disruption.
dmcurser

Activity: 502

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 02:13:45 AM

There are many refineing forums out there look around. dealing with the acids isnt really that hard or expensive half of them you could probably get from that pussy ass store walmart to lol.

1Q7TPBHHVmGCvqffYHpXCCBgbcBQ4NwXdW
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 06:29:50 AM

Well, you could assay each of your bars (at least the larger ones) at a nearby pawn shop/jewellery shop which provides a simple printout before selling em. That'll  keep problems like this out.

PS: I've deleted your reply at someone else's selling thread advertising your own products. Please do not do so at the future as it's considered OT and a bad form of sales disruption.
I apologize. I think I know which one you mean. Its not a common practice but it seemed relevant so I threw it in. I'll refrain in the future.
DobZombie

Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 06:38:37 AM

Quote from: John (johnthedong) link=topic=133022.msg1422867#msg1422867

PWNT

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Snipes777

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:09:23 PM

I'm going to stick to 925 bars. Its pretty easy-just buy the scrap and some shot, throw em in the crucible and find a suitable mold-which is also not easy. I don't have the money to buy big professional graphite or cast iron molds.

So does this mean you are going to refund people who you sold to having advertised at .99 silver? Does this mean you have improved your process as before you were, on average, under .925 purity?

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
dmcurser

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 06:50:50 PM

look how stupid are you ppl. I understand he advertised some5thing as .99 and it didnt turn out to be .99 but he sent an extra 50 cent peice which would cover any discrepency he also offered up another quarter. i mean come on he mad a mistake and he fully went above and beond by providing way more silver then what the customer payed for. the customer is just bitching bc he cant make mad money off the ignos bc there home made its was his choice to buy such a good /wsome deal.

i could see if the seller was trying to cheat the guy and say you got what you got but he didnt he gave more then enought to cover any problems that might of occured.

Snipes777

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 07:50:10 PM

Its not the silver content. Below .925 bars marked as .99 are practically unsellable. That's the point. He would have to melt it himself to get something worth selling. Proper remedies include: refund, actually getting a full amount of silver that is in sellable condition, or some other agreeable condition.

Saying I will send .99 silver and then sent less than .925 marked as .99 that noone will ever want to buy and then "making it up" by throwing in one or two pieces of junk silver doesn't really make up for the fact that the original product wasn't worth what was paid for it. No one buys wrongly marked bars. And very few people buy anything less than sterling that isn't government or reputable private mint anyway. You are missing the point that the assaying shop then refused purchase AT ALL because the bars were marked wrong and a poorly selling purity.

Nothing was made up. This was a bad deal with an obviously inexperienced melter. You make it right by going down now, finding where some mistakes were, refining the process and then doing better in the future. You don't throw a silver quarter at a couple hundred dollar dud deal and make it go away.

dmcurser

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 08:07:38 PM

ok i agree on the miss mark shit but come on the guy has more sliver in his possession then what he orginal paid for. silver is silver there is always a shop that will buy it even if he get it for like .88 scale its not as valuable but ppl still buy it. maybe the seller should just buy it back of course ship;ping back to the seller would be on the buyer. and then the seller could just remelt but still he did get silver value wise more then what he paid for.

i dont think the seller tried to jew him in any way but thats what you ppl are making it out to be yes they werent .99 it was his first time he explained that in his post when selling the buyer still agreed to buy them and the seller went above and beyond to make sure the seller got the value of silver he was paying for even if it wasnt in .99 clarity.

Snipes777

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 08:25:29 PM

I never said it was his intention to scam. However, I do think he should have made it right when things didn't turn out well. Plus, you haven't obviously tried to sell a bar in this situation. It is much harder than you would think. I have bought duds before and you usually have to just count it as a loss.

havoc928

Activity: 379

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 08:31:50 PM

I enjoy reading JohnnieWalker's threads...makes for entertainment.

iBid     ▐     Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain    (   About us   Telegram   )
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬             AN  AUCTION    ❱   All auctions start at     $0

[  ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store  ]   ██ SIGN UP ██        with no minimum reserve
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: