Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:19:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is ripple a trojan horse that will destroy bitcoin?  (Read 9772 times)
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 03:31:14 PM

But having to rely on trust is a cost of its own.
Not in Ripple!

The trust in context of Ripple is kind of by-product http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By-product. It is derived virtually at no cost from much more important to human beings informal (non business) relations.

On newspaper I always read stories like "someone borrows millions of dollars from colleagues/friends/family and run off/go bankrupt/commit suicide/get arrested for scam. Usually the excuse is a wife with cancer/a good investment opportunity/etc. That's how the human beings informal relations being exploited.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 03:47:12 PM

That's how the human beings informal relations being exploited.
Never lend money you can't afford losing with ease. That's how my informal relations have never being exploited!

I don't look at ripple credit as lending money. I look at at it as the price of a friendship or the price of a business reputation. Defaulting party will always lose more in absolute terms than the creditor.
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 06:58:08 PM

A few more thoughts on commodity money versus debt-based money.

1. As kjj points out, all money is in a sense debt, i.e. a general purpose IOU.  But the difference between commodity money and debt-based money is that the latter is essentially an IOU for another IOU. Maybe it's just me, but that sounds ... potentially problematic, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GSXbgfKFWg

2. There are differences in the way that commodity money and debt-based money are created.  In short, commodity money is relatively difficult to create while debt-based money is relatively easy to create.  For example, it's easier to issue a new IOU for an ounce of gold than it is to actually dig up a new ounce of gold.  And with Bitcoin, once the 21 million limit is reached, it will be mathematically impossible to create new coins.

3. There are also differences in the way that commodity money and debt-based money are destroyed.  In short, commodity money is relatively difficult to destroy while debt-based money is relatively easy to destroy.  For example, when bank loans are repaid, the checkbook money that corresponded to those loans is destroyed. Bitcoins are never destroyed (although they can be lost).

4. I suppose this is pretty obvious, but it occurs to me that while you can have a money supply that consists entirely of commodity money, you can't have a money supply that is entirely debt-based.  Even in our (extremely-dysfunctional) legacy monetary system, we have a monetary base that functions somewhat like a commodity.  It's just a ridiculously terrible one because, among other reasons, new base money is constantly being "loaned" into existence.
HBBZ

Activity: 570

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:14:01 AM

In a way you could say that simply holding cash is a loan you have given to the world.

As for traditional banking loans I don't think Ripple can replace that, those things are based on police kicking you out of your house if you don't pay.
Trusting family and friends is not really foolproof, I have seen many family members rip each other off and its not pretty.

Ripple is extra risky because a chain of people owe each other money; if any one of the people in that chain or net doesn't pay up then the next link may have no money to pay with or may decide not to as well.

Loans, stocks and contracts are based on police and courts. Honestly I think people should rent or fully buy with savings instead of continuing our failing credit-card-economy.

Tell me; why all this debt slavery and personal bankruptcy when you could rent the first years and then buy, effectively ending with the same final price as a loan would have cost you? Lets do away with the old system.

In reality the volume of credit card economy is gigantic. We've got to admit that the majority of the earth population are sheeple, not liberals. Roll Eyes
qbits

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 04:44:36 PM

All money, including bitcoin, ripple, dollars and even gold, are based on debt.  Holding gold means (more or less) that you have done something worth that gold's value, and you hope that in the future you'll be able to exchange that gold for something of similar value.  Dollars and ripple are the same, with a couple of subtle differences.  In dollars, certain players can create new debt (new dollars) at will, limited only by the willingness of people to accept them.  When you get a bank loan (or a credit card or whatever) that bank has created new dollars out of thin air by magic, limited only by their assessment of your ability to repay.  In ripple, everyone is a bank, and everyone can create money through magic, just by finding someone willing to accept it.

Gold and bitcoin, though based on debt/hope just dollars and ripple, have the advantage that no one can conjure them at will.  Gold and bitcoin are both past-looking, where holding gold or bitcoin is prima facie evidence that a party has already in the past done something of value for society.  Dollars and ripple are more forward looking, where one party has received something of value, and the other party is hoping that they will do something of similar value in the future to redeem that particular debt.

#1 you are correct that all money represents debt. as you stated correctly money is used to split a barter transaction into two parts, and before completing the two parts of the barter transaction you have money on your hands which represents value but is not value itself.

this is in fact the point which many people on this forum get it wrong when they talk about "commodity" based money such as gold or oil. there is a difference between oil and gold in that oil is something you use and gold is mostly representing value but has almost no value on it's own. ok gold is very good electricity conductor and so forth, but it's price is high mostly due to speculation not it's intrinsic value.

#2 your distinction between forward/backward money is irelevant. whatever is used as money: sea shells, stones, gold, tokens, electronic transaction account money, etc., is as good as anything else as long as it is accepted in places where you wan't to spend it.

but... and this is important

#3 you stated correctly that two parts of the barter transaction may be split in time, which means that the money will be in your possession for some time, possibly long time and in this case money serves as a store of value for this time period.

some forms of money are better at storing value than others. if no one can inflate money supply by arbitrarily creating more money than this certainly helps preserving the value. gold and bitcoin fall into this category.

but... and this is most important

#4 money supply issue is just one half of the problem when money is used as store of value. the other half is commodity supply. if commodity is scarce then it's price denominated in money will rise. oil prices will rise for example as we consume more oil than we can produce etc.

so regardless of what type of money one uses to store value it will not protect you against future price increase of scarce commodities.

most people just assume other people will produce commodities in the future in sufficient quantities so that the only problem they need to solve when attempting to store value for future consumption is assuring no one can inflate the money supply. hence they buy gold or bitcoin.

but the real problem imho taking into account that supply of commodities especially food and energy can fall short of demand hence the price increase even in non inflationary money.

this is why so called "doomsday prepers" store food rather than gold.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 09:58:14 PM

#2 your distinction between forward/backward money is irelevant. whatever is used as money: sea shells, stones, gold, tokens, electronic transaction account money, etc., is as good as anything else as long as it is accepted in places where you wan't to spend it.
You don't really understand what money is? You don't really understand what are the consequences for the economy of the very fact of "having money". Saying that forward/backward money is irrelevant is equal to saying that there is no difference between postponed consumption and postponed austerity!? Postponed consumption is capital. Postponed austerity is just more debt to be paid by the future generations!
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 07:03:46 AM

Gold and bitcoin are not debt. No one has the obligation to repay you anything for your bitcoin/gold.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
qbits

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 06:26:38 PM

Gold and bitcoin are not debt. No one has the obligation to repay you anything for your bitcoin/gold.

by that note no one has obligation to repay me anything for my 1 USD. and I do own 1 USD by the way Smiley

it used to be that US was obligated to repay gold for my USD holdings but that obligation ended on Aug 15th 1971.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretton_Woods_system)

so I could argue USD is not debt either.

USD is issued=created and then openly traded. people assign value to it based on the fact it was worth something up to this point in time. on itself USD has no intrinsic value other than physical USD coins/notes may have some value in them based on the fact they are created from some material, of course electronic USD has absolutely no intrinsic value at all.

same is true for bitcoin. even though I have to leave my 6.7GH/s mining rig running for 24h incurring a €13 electricity bill to earn 1 BTC by mining with a mining pool.
there is nothing that anyone promised to pay me for that 1 BTC. this 1 BTC has no intrinsic value and I can trade it or spend it with other people who in principle assign arbitrary value to it. as long as we agree on the price of course this defines "value" of 1 BTC.

interestingly almost all of this is true for gold as well. currently an oz of gold trades for about $1600. Even though gold is a metal and has some intrinsic value, most of the gold price is due to the speculation as 50% of the gold is not used as metal but rather is stored in bank vaults as "investment". the other 50% of gold use is mostly for jewellery which means again it's price is judged by tradition and aesthetics, not by it's metalic utility properties. and you could argue gold jewellery is again an investment.

other "common" metals such as silver (trades for about $30 per oz.), copper (for $0.23/oz) aluminium, nickel, zinc and lead (for $0.06/oz), tin for ($0.6/oz) trade for a lot less.  steel is about $0.014 / oz. = $500 / t
only really rare metals such as platinum ($1600/oz.) rhodioum, palladium, ruthenium and irridium trade for ammounts which approach $1000/oz.

rarity is not the sole cause of the high price of gold as for example world production of mercury is about half of world production of gold however mercury trades for about $10 / oz.

so: and here is my point:
1. as long as gold or any other material is used mostly as investment than it's price no longer reflects some intrinsic value of that material but is rather subject to market speculation. it is not inconceivable that gold would loose 90% of it's value and trade for say $160 / oz. at some point in time. so it is no safe haven.

2. bitcoin suffers in principle from the same problem. currently trades for $27 oops let me correct that $26, but could drop to $2.6 (note that I use bitcoin prices in $ for simplicity but I could have used any other price such as bitcoin price in oz of gold for example)

3. USD and other currencies issued by governments suffer the same problem as well and more because holders worry that currency issuers may issue additional currency thus diluting existing holdings

it is for this reason that people may want to convert some of their capital into currency which cannot be inflated away.

but this has nothing to do whether or not $ is debt.
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:43:18 PM

bump for controversy
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: