Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:53:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Bitcoin Core and Armory on a Mac with blockchain data on external drive?  (Read 648 times)
pf (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 10:56:16 AM

On Mac OS X, how can I run Bitcoin Core and Armory such that both use custom folders on an external drive to store the blockchain data?

By default, everything is in ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin and ~/Library/Application Support/Armory

I want it to be in /Volumes/MyExternalDrive/Bitcoin and /Volumes/MyExternalDrive/Armory

How do I accomplish this?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 03:44:30 PM

On Mac OS X, how can I run Bitcoin Core and Armory such that both use custom folders on an external drive to store the blockchain data?

By default, everything is in ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin and ~/Library/Application Support/Armory

I want it to be in /Volumes/MyExternalDrive/Bitcoin and /Volumes/MyExternalDrive/Armory

How do I accomplish this?
In the command for starting up Bitcoin Core, add the flag
Code:
--datadir=<path to external Bitcoin Core data folder>
and in the command for starting Armory
Code:
--datadir=<path to external armory data folder> --satoshi-datadir=<path to external Bitcoin Core data folder>

pf (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 08:52:07 PM

Thanks, that would have worked I think. But after some Googling, I went with just creating symlinks:

ln -s /Volumes/MyExternalDrive/Blockchains/Bitcoin ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin
ln -s /Volumes/MyExternalDrive/Blockchains/Armory ~/Library/Application\ Support/Armory

Works great. The same works great for Litecoin too:

ln -s /Volumes/MyExternalDrive/Blockchains/Litecoin ~/Library/Application\ Support/Litecoin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: