Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:47:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: When push comes to shove. How many % of the hash power will run "classic"?
0-10% - 9 (36%)
10-25% - 1 (4%)
25-50% - 3 (12%)
50-75% - 2 (8%)
75-100% - 10 (40%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When push comes to shove. How many % of the hash power will run "classic"?  (Read 978 times)
Jungian (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 11:58:11 AM

Question in the poll. How much of the network power will actually switch to the "Bitcoin Classic" we hear so much about.

I think a it's mostly talk. Who really wants to move away to new and untested devs just so they can increase the cap by so little?

Wish we could have a real prediction market here so we can see where the money ends up.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:19:49 PM

that version is adding nothing besides the block to 2mb, why we should move from core, when with segregate we will get roughly the same thing?

all those proposal are the same in the end, but some add useless stuff that aim at bring the advantage on a side instead of another
Jungian (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:27:31 PM

that version is adding nothing besides the block to 2mb, why we should move from core, when with segregate we will get roughly the same thing?

all those proposal are the same in the end, but soem add useless stuff that aim at bring the advantage on a side instead of another

I agree very much. I haven't heard a single original idea from them yet. What are their credentials?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

all those proposal are the same in the end, but soem add useless stuff that aim at bring the advantage on a side instead of another

I agree very much. I haven't heard a single original idea from them yet. What are their credentials?

one word: Gavin.

I certainly would not want to wait for Core to publish segwit anything or else. We've been waiting 3 years
for a blocksize incrase.

Plus I just don't trust core any more.  They care more about Blockstream and couldn't give a damn
what the rest of the community wants.

bhodson

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:32:21 PM

I think it's a non issue.  Three stooge inactive developers who tried and completely failed with XT now want Classic while the other 35 or more active core developers are getting on with there work and have no interest in dealing with these guys and the forum trolls. I predict this thread will soon fill up with answers from the trolls. All I can guess is these people think they were too late with Bitcoin and are now trying to bring down the price.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2008/11/04/JohnSpringerCollectionCorbis_3stooges460.jpg
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 03:33:20 PM

When push comes to shove all I see is darkness for bitcoin. Ripping the network appart can not be in the interest of anyone.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Jungian (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:33:27 PM

He said he'd only help them get started. He's not very interrested in btc-development any more it seems. So the question remains

I certainly would not want to wait for Core to publish segwit anything or else. We've been waiting 3 years
for a blocksize incrase.

Been waiting THREE YEARS?!?! Why the hell would you increase block size three years ago?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 04:29:15 PM

all those proposal are the same in the end, but some add useless stuff that aim at bring the advantage on a side instead of another

some dont like segwit.. some dont like other features either.. but the majority collectively do want 2mb.. so a version that is just a block increase is helpful.

atleast going for an option that is just 2mb makes them still part of the relaying network. then if everyone atleast upgrades to the baseline of 2mb.. then smaller amounts of people can happily do their own thing with slight changes to features as they will all be sending out 2mb blocks

and those not wanting the features can still be full nodes, giving them time to let the minority play with the features and review actual real life outcomes instead of utopian dreams of possibilities.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 05:40:57 PM

He said he'd only help them get started. He's not very interrested in btc-development any more it seems. So the question remains

for a blocksize incrase.

Been waiting THREE YEARS?!?! Why the hell would you increase block size three years ago?

1MB was only supposed to be a temporary measure.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-block-size-debate-going-since-2013/

Jungian (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 07:48:04 PM

for a blocksize incrase.

Yes, but you can't seriously say you have been holding your breath for this.

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 07:55:24 PM

I think it's a non issue.  Three stooge inactive developers who tried and completely failed with XT now want Classic while the other 35 or more active core developers are getting on with there work and have no interest in dealing with these guys and the forum trolls. I predict this thread will soon fill up with answers from the trolls. All I can guess is these people think they were too late with Bitcoin and are now trying to bring down the price.

^^^ This! Smiley

Whether they realize it or not, people supporting builds like XT and Classic are enemies of the Bitcoin state.

Maybe core is the one that needs to be doing the checkpointing?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 07:55:41 PM

for a blocksize incrase.

Yes, but you can't seriously say you have been holding your breath for this.

Many of us had been hoping most of 2015, when Gavin first announced
he was working on a solution , that bigger blocks would be forthcoming.

To say we've run out of patience is to put it mildly.  This is long overdue.

liquidiser

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 07:57:38 PM

I'm not sure if "Bitcoin Classic" will get 75% of the network processing power. Some big pools have said they will use it, but not enough to get it at 75%. Core has most of the developers behind it, and there will be too many pools that stick with it rather than trust the few developers controlling Classic.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 07:58:28 PM

No one is proposing to increase the block size.  The block size has always been set by the miners through a dynamic market process (supply and demand).  

Classic is proposing to increase the limit for block size from 1 MB to 2 MB. The fact that so many people still don't understand the difference is perhaps one of the biggest obstacles towards moving forward.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 08:02:20 PM

No one is proposing to increase the block size.  The block size has always been set by the miners through a dynamic market process (supply and demand).  

Classic is proposing to increase the limit for block size from 1 MB to 2 MB. The fact that so many people still don't understand the difference is perhaps one of the biggest obstacles towards moving forward.  

Good point Peter.

Another thing that people should realize is that 1MB is not a magic number.
It was chosen as a common sense ROUND NUMBER.  2MB would have
worked just as well.  Although a forking process may have some inherent
risks, the actual fundamental change essentially does not.

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 08:12:10 PM

https://twitter.com/goldcoin/status/688814430369525760
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 10:12:47 PM

Anyone find any hidden gems in the Classic code like "blacklisting"?

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
orpington

Activity: 784
Merit: 512

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 10:27:38 PM

I think a better name for classiccoin would be DOAcoin.
ShrykeZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 10:28:46 PM

When push comes to shove all I see is darkness for bitcoin. Ripping the network appart can not be in the interest of anyone.

Pretty much my thoughts on the whole ClassicCoin / Core topic, division or forcing X really isn't the best route.
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 3160

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 10:35:07 PM

Anyone find any hidden gems in the Classic code like "blacklisting"?

The code everyone was soiling themselves over last time is actually present in Bitcoin core's repository too, so any node could be running it right now regardless of the client they elect to use.  It's not "blacklisting" per se and it's definitely not unique to XT.  So yeah, you probably will find that code in Classic, because it's in Core too.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: