Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:46:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block 0 created Jan 3 2009 - 4 year anniversary  (Read 1417 times)
keystroke (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 07:01:07 AM

https://blockchain.info/block-index/1

Only a week or so away. Block 1 came out on the 9th: 2009-01-09 02:54:25

I guess Satoshi created the genesis block and sometime later started mining?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 07:19:02 AM

Huh, I never knew he waited so long. I guess he wanted to tell some people and surely had already tested everything on a test chain. I think he was pretty sensitive to the head start issue, even though imo he clearly deserved an moderately 'unfair' advantage. I wonder if that was even him who got block 1.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:30:13 AM

IIRC the first release of bitcoin wasn't posted publicly until a week or so later. Satoshi probably wanted to run some tests to make sure everything was working correctly.

But Jan 3rd is the date in the genesis block, so that works for me Smiley

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
keystroke (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 01:28:16 PM

Huh, I never knew he waited so long. I guess he wanted to tell some people and surely had already tested everything on a test chain. I think he was pretty sensitive to the head start issue, even though imo he clearly deserved an moderately 'unfair' advantage. I wonder if that was even him who got block 1.

Yea, I wasn't aware of that either! I wish I could remember where I first heard of Bitcoin. It was within a few weeks of the Genesis block but I forget the source. Was it perhaps on Slashdot at the time? Anyone know? I was looking for something like this for years but didn't follow the cryptography mailing list or the cyberpunk list (if it indeed was discussed at the latter, I forget).

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
Nagato

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 02:18:38 PM

Personally i would not even mind if he started with 1 million, it pales in comparison to what he has done for mankind.
Whether or not Bitcoin succeeds, the breakthrough of solving the double spending problem in a decentralised system via proof of work(where work scales with market forces) has and will enable many services to be decentralised.

Namecoin can now provide an alternative to domain names should domain names be attacked by governments.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 01:05:43 AM

Domain names don't matter, as long as you have the IP address you can still access it Smiley
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 01:48:00 AM

Also it's interesting how the difficulty of the hash satoshi found for the first block was significantly more than difficulty 1. Possibly the genesis block wasn't actually created on the date satoshi put as the timestamp, rather he picked a good headline for the coinbase and then ran his mining code for a few days to come up with a particularly difficult proof-of-work. Note how this does let you work out a rough idea of how much computer power satoshi had access to because the times headline and mailing list posts give an upper bound on the time it took.

MineForeman.com
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2012, 04:19:04 AM

Am I missing something?  The block data says the 9th.

Bitcoin News http://mineforeman.com/ || MinePeon - Bitcoin mining on the Raspberry PI http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/ || MinePeon Wiki http://minepeon.com/ || MinePeon Forums http://minepeon.com/forums/
furrycoat

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 04:21:33 AM

Personally i would not even mind if he started with 1 million, it pales in comparison to what he has done for mankind.

Im sure hes sitting on a few thousand bitcoins right now

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 08:38:41 AM

Celebrate

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 04:33:08 AM

Im sure hes sitting on a few thousand bitcoins right now

A few thousand! What do you think he just left a miner on all the time for a month? Crazy.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
keystroke (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:24:07 AM

Also it's interesting how the difficulty of the hash satoshi found for the first block was significantly more than difficulty 1. Possibly the genesis block wasn't actually created on the date satoshi put as the timestamp, rather he picked a good headline for the coinbase and then ran his mining code for a few days to come up with a particularly difficult proof-of-work. Note how this does let you work out a rough idea of how much computer power satoshi had access to because the times headline and mailing list posts give an upper bound on the time it took.

+1 awesome point, you are smart. I never thought of that.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:47:48 AM

did he start the difficulty off somewhere where it took one cpu days to find the block?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: