Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:19:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 519.704 received at 1TBZjmXho6mdGhoESaMV2svtqJXYtWfEp - Lost and Found?  (Read 12040 times)
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 04:42:12 PM

. . . Now 200 BTC more from who the hell knows . . .
I'd just hang on to it for a bit.  Maybe send it off to a paper wallet to avoid accidentally spending it.

At over 200 BTC, my guess is that someone is going to realize what they've accidentally done, and start searching for the person who owns 1tbzj.  There is probably going to be a post in the Newbie forum some time in the next few days (weeks?) asking, "How do I get back BTC that I accidentally sent to the wrong address!!!?"  Someone will teach them how to sign messages, and then send them over to this thread.

I'm not sure how long is a reasonable amount of time to keep track of BTC that were sent to you unsolicited.  At what point should a person decide that it is a donation (or tip) instead of an accident?

From my point of view a true newbie never has that much money to send accidentally... someone who has 200 BTC should probably know enough about Bitcoin to know what to do, or else I'd say it's an early adopter which forgot about the project for some years and is coming back now (and in that case, from where did the person in question get the wrong address to send to?).

Is there any chance there's someone sending money to OP's address, with the intention of sending to another address with the same/similar firstbits?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 04:54:24 PM

In this case: BTC 0.03 is a tip, BTC 300 is an accident.

Interesting. So the difference between a tip/donation and an accident is determined by the amount?

So, at what it the transition amount?

Is 0.1 BTC a tip or donation?
0.5 BTC?
1.0 BTC?
5 BTC?
10 BTC?
50 BTC?
100 BTC?

Is the transition point a well understood amount that most of society agrees on, or just your personal feelings on the matter?  If it is just your personal feelings on the matter, then it seems rather arbitrary and error prone.  If someone else uses a different transition point, is one of you a thief?  Is the other paranoid and failing to use money that was intended for your use?
zaj

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 05:58:36 PM

donate them to pirate's scam victims :') you will be forever known as a hero in bitcoinland! Cheesy
TheButterZone (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 06:10:26 PM

And another 300 it seems: http://blockchain.info/tx/3d2c9e562de4de64cb57eb69623bfa144af24676e96cb6b446b3e26bffb6abb7

I draw my hat, TheButterZone, for wanting to return it.

Just got the email notification from bitcoinmonitor.net about that one first thing this morning. /facepalm

Edited the OP with that added and some more info.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:02:39 PM

That's a lot of butter.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:28:00 PM

There is a chance that someone has obtained the private key for 1tbzj and is using it for some reason. There is an extraordinarily small chance of a collision. You might move your own funds out just be safe.

But most likely someone is just sending them to the wrong address by mistake. It's fairly easy to make that mistake.

Maybe that email about transferring money for some Nigerian prince was actually true!

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
TheButterZone (OP)
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 08:52:37 PM

There is a chance that someone has obtained the private key for 1tbzj and is using it for some reason. There is an extraordinarily small chance of a collision. You might move your own funds out just be safe.

I was considering that, now done. Part 2 would be to transfer the 519.704, now 519.70399999 because of the minimum trans fee to segregate the two amounts, to an offline wallet that I have secured against fire/flood/theft. Then if someone had a collision, they'll see "their" key emptied, and hopefully post in this forum that they suffered a theft (if they don't see this thread first), sign with MY key, and get their BTC back. Then I'll have to generate a new vanity address knowing 1tbzj is compromised.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:54:25 PM

I was considering that, now done. Part 2 would be to transfer the 519.704, now 519.70399999 because of the minimum trans fee to segregate the two amounts, to an offline wallet that I have secured against fire/flood/theft. Then if someone had a collision, they'll see "their" key emptied, and hopefully post in this forum that they suffered a theft (if they don't see this thread first), sign with MY key, and get their BTC back. Then I'll have to generate a new vanity address knowing 1tbzj is compromised.
Actually, is this the brain wallet you were talking about the other day? In that case, it's probably pretty likely that's what's going on here...

wizkid057
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:57:20 PM

Strangeness?

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)
TheButterZone (OP)
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 09:26:04 PM

Actually, is this the brain wallet you were talking about the other day? In that case, it's probably pretty likely that's what's going on here...

As covered in #bitcoin-otc after you posted this, no 1tbzj is not a brain wallet, it's a vanity. Also, "the other day" I had said I use brainwallet.org saved to a USB key for offline use. Not that I actually have a brainwallet and use the generator page to convert it to a private key.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 09:38:26 PM

Also, "the other day" I had said I use brainwallet.org saved to a USB key for offline use.
This doesn't actually make brain wallets safe.

TheButterZone (OP)
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 09:46:02 PM

Also, "the other day" I had said I use brainwallet.org saved to a USB key for offline use.
This doesn't actually make brain wallets safe.

I'm sure there are threads about this already, but I don't have A brain wallet, so this is OT.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 12:12:59 AM

Free $7,000?

Lucky you.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 12:14:13 AM

Maybe because it's Christmas?

Maybe someone won lessthan1 on satoshidice?

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 08:37:06 AM

it's not a collision.

someone made a mistake (accidentally entered the address somewhere, at an exchange for example. It can happen easily: have 1btc in clipboard for some reason, try to copy own address and fail, paste into mtgox, forget to double-check). That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with.

My take on what is the "right" thing to do: Wait (maybe 3 months, it's up to you). If someone shows up and can prove he owns the address, give him the money. Expect 10% or so in "finder's reward". If noone shows up, you can consider the money yours... you just won the lottery. It's up to you what to do with it, but if you want to build reputation by not keeping it for yourself consider helping some bitcoin-related project or starting your own. Don't give it as pittance to scam victims, that'd be just stupid and probably throwing money down the same hole. Put up a bounty for something cool you'd like to see done or whatever and don't let anyone else (including me) tell you what to do Wink

Does anyone know what our beloved law has to say about such a case (say someone accidentally mails you 4 ounces of gold, no sending address on the package). You're probably obligated to make reasonable effort to return it, I'm not sure. After that? I have no idea.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
TheButterZone (OP)
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2012, 09:43:51 AM

If it was a mistake, it was repeated over and over and over again, which beggars belief to suppose it was a single paste. Do any exchanges let you enter a single withdrawal address that sticks until you change it? I know Gox makes me put in a new withdrawal address each time...

I'm seeking legal counsel at this point.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 11:10:07 AM

If it was a mistake, it was repeated over and over and over again, which beggars belief to suppose it was a single paste. Do any exchanges let you enter a single withdrawal address that sticks until you change it? I know Gox makes me put in a new withdrawal address each time...

I'm seeking legal counsel at this point.
What do you mean?

1. You've posted on the forums. Wait for 3 months and see if anyone claims it.
2. If not, take the coins. Donate it if you're generous.
3. Feel good karma or feel profit Smiley
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 11:30:30 AM

This is just like finding an envelope with money. In every jurisdiction I know of it's yours after:

1) You made a sincere attempt to find the owner (posting here and emptying the address to a temp address to get the attention of the owner suffices imo).
2) You have waited a fair amount of time (1 month in my jurisdiction iirc)

You seem to be really honest (it's Bitcoin, not much someone could do to take it from you) so I'm happy it was someone like you to receive this Smiley

BTW: When people say chances of collision is low they don't mean 'low' as people use the word in normal everyday life. In reality the chances are infinitely small. The chance of Sol going supernova in the next microsecond is considerably larger then the chance of a collision ever occurring.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 12:12:24 PM

Developers, is there any way to prevent collisions, so we don't have to put monitors on all our addresses?  Undecided

I am not a client developer but the simple answer is no.   Private keys are randomly generated and no client has a mechanism of knowing what other addresses have been created.  For example if you wanted to you could generate a private key by rolling a large number of dice and converting the results into a 256 bit number, then manually compute (using pen and a lot of paper) the public key and address.  It is simply impossible for a node to know what other random numbers in the world have been used.

Still I don't believe this is a collision, not without extensive evidence to the contrary. Assuming the private key is randomly generated, the odds of a collision are simple so incredibly low that they can be considered ~0% for all intents and purposes.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 12:42:50 PM

BTW: When people say chances of collision is low they don't mean 'low' as people use the word in normal everyday life. In reality the chances are infinitely small. The chance of Sol going supernova in the next microsecond is considerably larger then the chance of a collision ever occurring.
For a properly generated address, right. But this one came from a closed source vanity address generator of dubious design.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: