Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:34:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you do with your dust?
Leave it in hopes that one day you'll be able to transfer it out - 0 (0%)
Send it now because you'll never have transaction fees as low as they are right now - 0 (0%)
Try to send a micro payments with a low transactions fee - 2 (40%)
Throw away the keys/post the private key online - 0 (0%)
Other - 3 (60%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do with wallets containing dust?  (Read 1558 times)
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:08:58 PM

I have a few wallets with 2400 Satoshi, 5500 Satoshi etc. Transaction fees are higher than that right now! I don't want to ever use the wallets again.

What do you do with your dust? 
Leave it in hopes that one day you'll be able to transfer it out? 
Send it now because you'll never have transaction fees as low as they are right now?‎
Try to send a micro payments with a low transactions fee.
The last option would be to throw away the keys lol (not recommended).‎

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 03:14:35 PM

If you have another address with more Bitcoin, when you want to pay for something, send the transaction with those dust outputs combined into the transaction and let them become your fee.

Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:42:54 PM

If you have another address with more Bitcoin, when you want to pay for something, send the transaction with those dust outputs combined into the transaction and let them become your fee.

Woah woah woah what?! How do I do that from a separate wallet though? I'm using mycelium.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 03:52:02 PM

Woah woah woah what?! How do I do that from a separate wallet though? I'm using mycelium.
The easiest would be to import all of the private keys from your dust wallets and then one private key for an address that has more Bitcoin on it then send a transaction. Otherwise, you could attempt to build the transaction manually and then have it be signed by each wallet.

It is harder to do if all of the addresses are in different wallets.

xdrpx

Activity: 616
Merit: 603

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 03:58:55 PM

I use Electrum and I have tons of Bitcoins addresses auto generated in it, and I prefer using new addresses to receive even small payments. Usually, if I want to be able to send them all to one address I can just transfer them to one wallet address with a small fee, or I can import private keys of the wallet addresses having small amounts.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 04:02:26 PM

The easiest would be to import all of the private keys from your dust wallets and then one private key for an address that has more Bitcoin on it then send a transaction. Otherwise, you could attempt to build the transaction manually and then have it be signed by each wallet.

It is harder to do if all of the addresses are in different wallets.

Haha this sounds more complicated than I thought. Do you know of a guide with step by step instructions? I guess it's probably not worth the 2 cents haha.
ShrykeZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 04:04:05 PM

You can do this easily with Electrum, just import your private keys into it and then send the funds next time you want to make a payment and the dust will be used.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 04:05:10 PM

Haha this sounds more complicated than I thought. Do you know of a guide with step by step instructions? I guess it's probably not worth the 2 cents haha.
You can import them to another wallet. Or, if you really don't want those wallets, you can give the private keys to me  Grin

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 04:06:31 PM

You can import them to another wallet. Or, if you really don't want those wallets, you can give the private keys to me  Grin

Or make them public, let it be a race Smiley

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Outlander
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 04:12:04 PM

What I am doing is to use the dust wallet to receive a payment then I will send the whole of this wallet to my current using address.

Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 04:49:56 PM

This is how the thread started out

Here's where we are now... lol

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 04:59:46 PM

[ IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2zhnxps.jpg[/img]

[ IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2wbvudv.jpg[/img]

I think I just had this[1] thread in mind. Alright more serious. They are spread over different wallets so you need to find out if you can export the private keys from the wallets and how. Which wallets did you use? Are they all mycelium?

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1329605.0

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 05:04:41 PM

--img snip--

--img snip--
Heh.

Back to topic. Since you are using Mycelium, you should be able to export the master private key. Then install Electrum on a desktop and create a new wallet by selecting the option "Restore a wallet or import keys". In the large text box that follows, make sure that you enter all of the master private keys from your mycelium wallets. If none of those wallets had an address with more Bitcoin, then make sure you export the private key for an address that does have more and import it also into that Electrum wallet. Then you can send the dust with something else from that Electrum wallet.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 05:14:05 PM

--img snip--

--img snip--
Heh.

Back to topic. Since you are using Mycelium, you should be able to export the master private key. Then install Electrum on a desktop and create a new wallet by selecting the option "Restore a wallet or import keys". In the large text box that follows, make sure that you enter all of the master private keys from your mycelium wallets. If none of those wallets had an address with more Bitcoin, then make sure you export the private key for an address that does have more and import it also into that Electrum wallet. Then you can send the dust with something else from that Electrum wallet.

Or in how to do it:

#1 Open Mycelium, swipe left to your accounts.
#2 Tap the account you want to export
#3 Tap the 3 dots (top right) and select Export
#4 Read and understand the warning and hit "yes"
#5 on top switch from "public" to "private".
#6 Read and understand the warning and long press it
#7 It will show a long code starting with xprv keep that open, thats your master private key. It is all your private keys for that account.
#8 open Electrum
#9 File -> New/Restore
#10 Set a new, e.g. Mycelium1
#11 Select "Restore a wallet or import keys" for the upper option and "Standard wallet" for the lower option.
#12 Enter the master private key and follow the rest of the steps.
#13 let it sync, you now have all private keys in electrum and see which still have a balance and which not.
#14 Rightclick an address you want the private key for and select private key. It will ask for a password and show it to you.
#15 collect all the private keys you need
#16 repeat the above steps for all mycelium accounts
#17 once you have all private keys import them into a new electrum wallet, but instead of the master private key use your list of private keys. One on each line.
#18 you now should have all address with balance in a single wallet ready to spend.

Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 08:16:37 PM

--img snip--

--img snip--
Heh.

Or in how to do it:

#1 Open Mycelium, swipe left to your accounts.
#2 Tap the account you want to export
#3 Tap the 3 dots (top right) and select Export
#4 Read and understand the warning and hit "yes"
#5 on top switch from "public" to "private".
#6 Read and understand the warning and long press it
#7 It will show a long code starting with xprv keep that open, thats your master private key. It is all your private keys for that account.
#8 open Electrum
#9 File -> New/Restore
#10 Set a new, e.g. Mycelium1
#11 Select "Restore a wallet or import keys" for the upper option and "Standard wallet" for the lower option.
#12 Enter the master private key and follow the rest of the steps.
#13 let it sync, you now have all private keys in electrum and see which still have a balance and which not.
#14 Rightclick an address you want the private key for and select private key. It will ask for a password and show it to you.
#15 collect all the private keys you need
#16 repeat the above steps for all mycelium accounts
#17 once you have all private keys import them into a new electrum wallet, but instead of the master private key use your list of private keys. One on each line.
#18 you now should have all address with balance in a single wallet ready to spend.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the effort guys!
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 02:18:14 PM

What do you do with your dust? 

I add those small unspent outputs to larger ones using coin control. If you have time and larger unspent outputs this is still working without paying a fee. A few day ago I created a transaction using two larger outputs and a dust output. It needed 12 hours until it was confirmed which is OK for me. Now I have one large unspent output.
DuddlyDoRight

Activity: 318
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2016, 04:12:46 PM

How do you use them as fees? You can't manually build pooled payments without fee overhead.

Since nobody mines no-fee transactions they are worthless..

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2016, 08:06:59 PM

How do you use them as fees? You can't manually build pooled payments without fee overhead.

Since nobody mines no-fee transactions they are worthless..

You use the small input as fee and transfer the other input as if you didnt pay a fee. E.g. you can use an input of 1.4789 BTC and an input of 0.00004783 btc. You use both in a single transaction to create an output for 1.4789 BTC, since the rest is the fee you paid a 4783 satoshi fee. Technically you cant tell which input was used for the fee, but I dont think it matters.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: