Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:16:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Money vanished from MtGox  (Read 5522 times)
jpm99 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:16:31 AM

A week ago my money reached Mt.Gox via Dwolla, I bought BTC, the trade showed up in the account history.  Tonight I go to look at my account and there is nothing there... 0 BTC, 0 $, and no account history.  WTF!!!  Anyone else having problems with the site?  I sent an email but based on the other threads I don't expect a response anytime soon.  Hopefully this is a temporary glitch that gets worked out. 

To others I would say BE CAUTIOUS. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:18:28 AM

A week ago my money reached Mt.Gox via Dwolla, I bought BTC, the trade showed up in the account history.  Tonight I go to look at my account and there is nothing there... 0 BTC, 0 $, and no account history.  WTF!!!  Anyone else having problems with the site?  I sent an email but based on the other threads I don't expect a response anytime soon.  Hopefully this is a temporary glitch that gets worked out. 

Talk to magicaltux on the IRC.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:13:09 AM

Who did you send your BTC to?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
jpm99 (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:01:00 PM

Who did you send your BTC to?

I didn't send it to anyone I left it at MtGox.  I also had some USD there which I hadn't touched.  Even if the money was sent somewhere from the account (assuming my account was hacked or something), the transactions should still show up in the history, but there is nothing there.  It is as if the account were new and had never been funded. 
hamdi

Activity: 826

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 01:40:07 PM

hopefully just a database hiccup
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 01:44:18 PM

something is wrong with mtgox.

So far I have only lost about $100 usd, but I wont trust sending any money in or out of there until they fix things

they issued a statement somewhere saying dwolla changed their api

but im kinda pissed - it has been at least 4 days since this has been broken

for the money they are making they should not have a downtime like this

and it is slowing down my operations

mtgox admins where are you? I have send numerous emails starting on 06/05 !
jpm99 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:12:43 PM

I should mention that I heard back on my email, and they are working with me on it, but no resolution yet. They haven't skipped town or anything, but they are having some growing pains at the very least.

mr-sk

Activity: 117

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:55:16 PM

I've seen a lot of issues with MtGox and overall their site seems pretty *sluggish*. I'm glad there are some alternatives know, "TradeHill" just opened and I'm going to start moving USD/BTC to that for trading.

Good luck, hope you resolve the issue.

Telegram
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:34:24 AM

Everybody else sent "numerous" emails too, so that's why it's taking so long!

He gets hundreds of emails on a quiet day when nothing is wrong. Now it's probably thousands and that takes work. If you just send a whole bunch of the same email then it's going to take even longer.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Veldy

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:47:58 AM

THAT scenario is not one that I have heard of.  Since you have only 3 posts, one must be careful about the story, but assuming it is true, you have a direct path to compensation.  Contact Dwolla and file a dispute.

http://www.dwolla.org/help/file-a-dispute/

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Veldy

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:49:55 AM

Talk to magicaltux on the IRC.

I haven't used IRC in a decade!  USENET yes, IRC no.  Well, I suppose I use IRC indirectly via the bitcoin client, but let's not count that. Smiley

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Veldy

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:53:59 AM

hopefully just a database hiccup

God, hopefully not!  You lose your database data and game over.  With the number of trades that they do, they have to mirror their database server [cluster it] and put measures in place so that data cannot be lost short of building incineration [ok, I exaggerate on the mechanism of acceptable failure  Tongue].

Veldy

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:00:42 AM

something is wrong with mtgox.

So far I have only lost about $100 usd, but I wont trust sending any money in or out of there until they fix things

they issued a statement somewhere saying dwolla changed their api

but im kinda pissed - it has been at least 4 days since this has been broken

for the money they are making they should not have a downtime like this

and it is slowing down my operations

I agree, except that downtime is one thing, but not communicating anything publicly on their site about it until asked to [or they figured it out on their own?] is the real "I am pissed" amplifier.  Further, the volume data for the exchange is public and pretty much gives an inverted middle finger to you about the truth that there was a huge problem on June 5th [and now later?] and they wrote, broadcast emailed, said nothing about it, but at least, did not deny it that I am aware of.  But you are correct; to lose the ability to get your funds available is a bit of a deal breaker.  With the price fluctuations lately, some people planning on speculative investment [not me, I was withdrawing funds] would have lost big thanks to Mt. Gox.

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 08:45:36 AM

MTGox just rented office space in one of the nicest office buildings in all of Tokyo.
I am sure they intend to be in business for the long haul.

Veldy

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:49:48 PM

MTGox just rented office space in one of the nicest office buildings in all of Tokyo.

Well, they might be breaking that lease.

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:54:56 PM

Well, they might be breaking that lease.

Even if the site is broken, they are still scraping 1.3% off every trade.  When daily volumes are 2 million USD... well let's just say they can afford the lease.

Not to say that MagicalTux won't regret placing high priority on moving into a luxurious office, while letting his customers do the load testing.

Now that BTC has stopped going up for a minute, maybe more wise entrepreneurs will realize that investing in competing exchanges could be more profitable than buying BTC on mtgox (when they aren't experiencing technical difficulties).

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:30:48 AM

Could you tell me your support ticket number so I can look into this?

Could you tell me your support ticket number so I can look into this?

Please make sure to include your withdraw reference in those cases.
carbonc

Activity: 126
Merit: 60

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:26:16 PM

@MagicalTux

Just a quick question (or two).
About how log does it take to transfer USD from MtGox to Dwolla ?

I made a transaction over 4 hours ago and i see nothing on Dwolla...

I made a transaction last week and it was just a few minutes before seeing it on Dwolla...
has something changed in the code from this aspect?
carbonc

Activity: 126
Merit: 60

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:29:57 PM

@MagicalTux

It might be good to specify average times of transfers between your site and the different vendors.
w0mbat

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 10:12:18 PM

@MagicalTux: a twitter account, posting status updates if mtgox is down again, would be nice.

*** http://btcxc.info/  <->  Your source for everything around trading & mining Bitcoins! ***
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: