Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 05:41:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF? "buying old used bitcoin private keys for $2 each"  (Read 1445 times)
DaddyMonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 01:36:51 AM

What is the exchange rate between ClamCoin and Bitcoin?
Looking at Poloniex, 1 Clam = 0.00246809BTC. I have a few Clams idle in Poloniex account and it has been stable for quite some time, for me Clam is a great investment unlike other alt coins out there.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 01:50:18 AM

Looking at Poloniex, 1 Clam = 0.00246809BTC. I have a few Clams idle in Poloniex account and it has been stable for quite some time, for me Clam is a great investment unlike other alt coins out there.
This is not true. CLAM is horribly centralized with one person (with a history of endorsing scams, and a very sketchy past) controls over 7% of the clams in circulation, plus an unknown additional amount in other addresses. Taking into account that most of the addresses in circulation are probably not attempting to stake, there is a very high chance that any block found will be found/mined by that one person.

This means that any transaction involving CLAMs can potentially be reversed even several days (or longer) after it has been initially confirmed.
DaddyMonsi
Legendary

Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 01:54:23 AM

This is not true. CLAM is horribly centralized with one person (with a history of endorsing scams, and a very sketchy past) controls over 7% of the clams in circulation, plus an unknown additional amount in other addresses. Taking into account that most of the addresses in circulation are probably not attempting to stake, there is a very high chance that any block found will be found/mined by that one person.

This means that any transaction involving CLAMs can potentially be reversed even several days (or longer) after it has been initially confirmed.

Hey thanks QS for clarifying that. I am not aware of that one. All I do to collect Clams is buy and hold in Poloniex, never used it with any transaction yet or sell it anyone yet.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1247

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 02:23:24 AM

*INFO from Just-Dice.com*
20:19:15 INFO: 179,953 of 3,208,032 sets of 4.60545574 CLAM were dug up so far from the initial distribution
20:19:15 INFO: 828,766 CLAM were dug up and 718,831 CLAM were staked for a total of 1,547,596 CLAM
20:19:15 INFO: Just-Dice's onsite bankroll of 1,145,256 CLAM represents 74.00% of that amount

Actually JD controls 74% of the current outstanding shares of CLAM.

They are willing to change (or at least threaten to change) the code on a whim to weed out "competitors"... worked verse me.

The problem with it being so centralized is that even if Dooglus is a good guy and wouldn't do anything bad with the power... what if a Carl Force type character took control on Doogs computer or USA based server... they could literally rob the ecosystem blind over night.  This would result in huge losses for any exchange or service supporting CLAM.

They could put Poloniex and others out of business over night.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:58:28 AM

though it appears to be clam related. i have previously seen people also want old private keys for other reasons..

one of the other reasons was to fake when they were introduced to bitcoin.
one person asked for a priv key used in 2010, so that they could then add the public key to their profile and then use the blockchain as proof that they were sending and receiving coins from 2010, and signing a message to prove they own the address used back in 2010..

i laughed and ignored the users as it smelled like they were trying to scam trust by pretending to be more involved in bitcoin then they actually are..

but it never surprises me that people will pay anything for anything these days

some of biggest accounting fraud and tax evasion tricks in the future may involve

proving ownership of old coins now that they have tax status, which is also one reason

why the mega pumps will continue and impossibility that Bitcoin can fail as claimed

by kid hearn

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: