Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 02:23:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You guys gonna become paranoid about Ripple  (Read 18584 times)
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 04:53:38 PM

I can only imagine how I would implement a ripple system myself, and am very excited at the possibilities. I plan on using the system from day 1 of launch. Waiting for the initial discussion thread.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:40:15 PM

So it's a credit system. How will it manage interest rates? Or are you just assumed to lend money without compensation?
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:30:40 PM

So it's a credit system. How will it manage interest rates? Or are you just assumed to lend money without compensation?

Whatever lender and borrower agree to I guess.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:30:28 AM

its still very much alpha, not even beta yet (though thats what they are calling it and i am in it). But from what I can see so far, if it does take off, this will be the catalyst which takes both ripple and bitcoin over the moon leaving fiat behind. They both complement each other using this system.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 10:25:53 PM

If I want move $1M from MtGox to my bank account can Ripple do this. NO ! Will anytime Ripple be able do this ? NEVER!  Bitcoin is future not Ripple. :-)

EDIT: but maybe you will able to buy coffe with Ripple. :-)
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 10:57:49 PM

Oh right this thread, as it seems we are on track.

Right now you idiots want to pay upto a Bitcoin for the 50K XRP you got in the giveaway thread. At this rate XRP has already the same theoretical market cap as BTC....
XxionxX

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

Digital money you say?

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:06:25 AM

I am just sitting here with my ripples. Not knowing what the hell they are for Huh Like a G+ user and their ghost town of friends. Trade debt? With who!? I think you must be mistaking me with another nerd who has friends Cheesy

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:33:30 AM

Ripple certainly looks interesting...but its no bitcoin. It looks like a fairly difficult thing to get off the ground anyway. Which is I guess why they're trying to use this community and bitcoin in general as a launching pad.

Sounds right to me.
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:37:46 AM

Even if they did, their money would hardly matter.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 12:40:03 AM

Whats this I hear about destroying XRP's after usage?

Quite convenient for the founders.

I'll also ask again.   How many have ever been betrayed by a family member?   Answer,  more than you think.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 12:53:25 AM

You can lend under any terms you want. Ripple doesn't compel any particular terms. The actual agreements are outside the scope of the system.

Gateways typically lend against 100% collateral, which makes it pointless to charge interest. If I hold $100 of your money and loan you $100, there's no reason for me to charge you interest because that interest equals the interest on the $100 I hold. That's the best way to build a payment system.

But Ripple fully supports other terms. You could charge someone interest instead of holding cash as collateral. You could charge an issue fee and make it settle on demand. You could allow the balance to float in either direction for mutual paying convenience and not settle. Whatever.

Ultimately, we don't know what model will win out or whether different lending models will co-exist for different circumstances.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
XxionxX

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

Digital money you say?

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 05:55:58 AM

You can lend under any terms you want. Ripple doesn't compel any particular terms. The actual agreements are outside the scope of the system.

Gateways typically lend against 100% collateral, which makes it pointless to charge interest. If I hold $100 of your money and loan you $100, there's no reason for me to charge you interest because that interest equals the interest on the $100 I hold. That's the best way to build a payment system.

But Ripple fully supports other terms. You could charge someone interest instead of holding cash as collateral. You could charge an issue fee and make it settle on demand. You could allow the balance to float in either direction for mutual paying convenience and not settle. Whatever.

Ultimately, we don't know what model will win out or whether different lending models will co-exist for different circumstances.

You want to know what I think? Scam or not, your system desperately needs help. I have spent hours trying to understand why I would ever use your system. As far as I can tell, there is literally no reason for me to use your system over btcjam.com or bitcoin-otc.com. In fact there is less of a reason because you seem to be hellbent on making your system as complex to use as possible, and you seem to have a chokehold on a majority of the xrp. Is this the truth? How in the world would I know!? You don't address any of these things on the wiki or your website.

You can loan other people money through the net, so what? Why in the world would I buy xrp? They seem to have no value, even as a debt trading instrument. I understood bitcoin right away after reading their wiki and I was able to resolve all of my questions without having to ask for the help of others. Your system is explained in circles.

Ripple is good because you can trade debt! Trading debt is valuable. So because trading debt is valuable, Ripple is valuable. QUICK, BUY RIPPLES BEFORE YOU UNDERSTAND!

Wut!?

I have been watching quietly for months, and I haven't seen a single person give a good explanation as to why people should use/buy ripples. Not here, not on reddit, not on your forum, not on your website, and not on your wiki. Where in the heck are you hiding the positive aspects of this system? I am starting to think people are purposefully withholding information.

Heck, at least the litecoin people make sense! Someone wanted to try and compete with bitcoin and get into a cryptocurrency early to be like the early adopters of bitcoin. Good for them.

Is there some key piece of information which has passed me by? Because by all means, please share.

The interface is so bad that I do not even know how to loan any type of money, bitcoin or otherwise, to anyone!

The thing which boggles my mind the most is that lots of energy seems to be being put forth to get people to use the system, but no energy is being put forth to explain the system to the masses!

Just use it. xrp are valuable. The system will change the way debt is exchanged. It is revolutionary.

What in billions of blue blistering barnacles is revolutionary!? No one seems to know! No one can explain! Am I the only one who is massively confused by this system!? I was interested because someone told me that Ripple might help take the load off the blockchain in the near future. Sounds great! Now what?

Am I paranoid about Ripple? Hell no, I am frustrated as all heck by it!

/rant

I apologize to all who have been caught in the crossfire. This has been bugging me for days.

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 06:08:51 AM

So it's a credit system. How will it manage interest rates? Or iare you just assumed to lend money without compensation?

You want to know what I think? Scam or not, your system desperately needs help. I have spent hours trying to understand why I would ever use your system. As far as I can tell, there is literally no reason for me to use your system over btcjam.com or bitcoin-otc.com. In fact there is less of a reason because you seem to be hellbent on making your system as complex to use as possible, and you seem to have a chokehold on a majority of the xrp. Is this the truth? How in the world would I know!? You don't address any of these things on the wiki or your website.

You can loan other people money through the net, so what? Why in the world would I buy xrp? They seem to have no value, even as a debt trading instrument. I understood bitcoin right away after reading their wiki and I was able to resolve all of my questions without having to ask for the help of others. Your system is explained in circles.

Ripple is good because you can trade debt! Trading debt is valuable. So because trading debt is valuable, Ripple is valuable. QUICK, BUY RIPPLES BEFORE YOU UNDERSTAND!

Wut!?

I have been watching quietly for months, and I haven't seen a single person give a good explanation as to why people should use/buy ripples. Not here, not on reddit, not on your forum, not on your website, and not on your wiki. Where in the heck are you hiding the positive aspects of this system? I am starting to think people are purposefully withholding information.

Heck, at least the litecoin people make sense! Someone wanted to try and compete with bitcoin and get into a cryptocurrency early to be like the early adopters of bitcoin. Good for them.

Is there some key piece of information which has passed me by? Because by all means, please share.

The interface is so bad that I do not even know how to loan any type of money, bitcoin or otherwise, to anyone!

The thing which boggles my mind the most is that lots of energy seems to be being put forth to get people to use the system, but no energy is being put forth to explain the system to the masses!

Just use it. xrp are valuable. The system will change the way debt is exchanged. It is revolutionary.

What in billions of blue blistering barnacles is revolutionary!? No one seems to know! No one can explain! Am I the only one who is massively confused by this system!? I was interested because someone told me that Ripple might help take the load off the blockchain in the near future. Sounds great! Now what?

Am I paranoid about Ripple? Hell no, I am frustrated as all heck by it!

/rant

I apologize to all who have been caught in the crossfire. This has been bugging me for days.

Very well said.   I concur.   I usually catch on quickly to concepts when explained well.

Ripple is not.   And what I do understand I don't like.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 06:11:31 AM

I'll pitch in and say, ripple is very confusing.

That's about the best I can say about it.

That is all.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 06:12:33 AM

Yes, you missed the whole point! Ripple is a *payment* system that allows you to pay people in fiat currencies like dollars in much the same way you can currently pay people with Bitcoins.

We're not promoting Ripple as a lending platform.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 06:19:16 AM

Ya hard to understand this. It IS in alpha stage so..... My interest in it revolves around the (possible?) potential to electrify silver or gold bullion. The problem I can't get over is it requires a very high % of population to use it to be really viable, and if a bunch of nerds are confused.....

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 06:20:07 AM

Bitcoin is not easy to understand, but Satoshi published a paper of academic standard to explain the mechanism, before the  implementation is available. People who are not willing to open source their code could do this, and they have been doing this all the time.

Could the people behind Ripple do the same thing as well? Bitcoin forum is by no means the best place to distribute information about Ripple, and nobody who wants to do peer-review of the system should be expected to come here to read the threads.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 06:21:35 AM

Bitcoin is not easy to understand, but Satoshi published a paper of academic standard to explain the mechanism, people who are not willing to open source their code could do this, and they have been doing this all the time.

Could the people behind Ripple do the same thing as well? Bitcoin forum is by no means the best place to distribute information about Ripple, and nobody who wants to do peer-review of the system should be expected to come here to read the threads.
You are 100% right. We do need to do this. Explaining bits and pieces of understanding that people are missing is no substitute for laying the entire system out in a clear and organized way.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 06:57:46 AM

Until more information is forthcoming, I'm going to assume OpenCoin's so-called "Ripple" implementation is just another pre-mined alt-coin (XRP), but this time with corporate backing and using Ripple as its mask to get in good with the Bitcoin community. What does OpenCoin care if the debt features of the system never take off and everyone just uses XRP like BTC? They just profit all the more, providing no one notices the bait-and-switch until after the system has reached critical mass.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 06:59:41 AM

Ripple is the facebook of cryptocurrencies.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: