Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:04:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You guys gonna become paranoid about Ripple  (Read 18580 times)
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 02:25:49 AM

Yeah I have become interested in ripple. I mean I'd rank ripple ahead of all the alt-coins in terms of utility. Community issued money is getting a revival apparently. Ripple seems like an electronic and extremely cheap way for communities to issue and use their own currency and develop closed loop economies. But why have we not seen any cool developments with Ripple? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:04:12 AM

Do you know how many times i've heard ripples mentioned in mainstream media? zero.

Its just not interesting

Believe me.  Its interesting.  Its just too difficult to grasp.  You think Bitcoin is hard?  Try getting a grip on Ripple.  Or rather .... try getting grandma to get a grip on Ripple.  If I am understanding it correctly, whereas Bitcoin can send bitcoin anywhere in the world, instantly, free of charge .... Ripple can send *any currency* anywhere in the world, free of charge - and convert from any currency to any other currency in the process, free of charge (or for the cost of an XRP, which is 2 cents right now).  Ripple can also do conversions between Bitcoin and all alt coins.  So one might say that Ripple is Bitcoin on a mega dose of steroids.  But grasping and using the system is currently too difficult for the average person. 

And I believe Ripple markets itself as ultimately being the invisible backbone to the banking system.   I don't believe its intended to be B2C but B2B and as such, you aren't going to see "Joes coffee shop now accepting Ripple".  The question is whether the Ripple people are going to pour the millions of dollars necessary into (1) simplifying the system and (2) selling it to the world economy.   Because believe me, what it does, is new, interesting, and extremely needed.
And yet you explain nothing of how it works.

I think I can explain it, let me give it a shot.

A centralized network is susceptible to attack. A decentralized network is resistant to attack.

A centralized con-artist is susceptible to attack. A decentralized con-artist network.......

Or maybe I just don't understand it. Anything is possible, but this system seems to rely on trust, which is the primary currency in a confidence game.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:06:42 AM

Anything is possible, but this system seems to rely on trust, which is the primary currency in a confidence game.
Every human monetary or financial system relies either on trust, on force, or on a mix. One can list several things one must trust to use Bitcoin, for example, that a super-majority of Bitcoin users won't decide to change the Bitcoin software such that your Bitcoins are no longer considered valid or that 51% of the mining power isn't already controlled by the same malicious entity.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:44:05 AM

Ironically the only way to ensure that Bitcoin miners are not secretly colluding and you don't need to trust them is by having >50% of the global hash rate yourself, thus forcing others to trust you...

I think I can explain it, let me give it a shot.

A centralized network is susceptible to attack. A decentralized network is resistant to attack.

A centralized con-artist is susceptible to attack. A decentralized con-artist network.......
...can only scam those who chose to "invest" into a dishonest scheme. Pirateat40s ponzi scam did not impact Bitcoin itself at all (and would have been far more evident in Ripple by the way) even though at some points his claimed balance must have been in the hundred thousands or did have any implications on user balances at e.g. MtGox. TradeFortress showed that you can scam people on Ripple (by scamming them... an interesting "proof of concept"), wrote ripplescam.org after that and proceeded to scam the users of his own webwallet services out of some undisclosed amount of BTC. Still this did not have an effect on anyone NOT using his "services" or falling for his scams or on Bitcoin (the system) itself.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
skorch31

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:17:53 AM

I see Ripple as a front-runner in digital currencies.  They have partnered with Zipzap, so you can now deposit cash into your ripple account.  They also have their own altcoins (Geckos [GKO] and NoFiatCoin [XNF]).  Last time I checked, 1 GKO was selling for 7 XRP and 1 XNF was 100 XRP on their exchanges.
slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:43:36 AM

Good lord, not only do we have a flood of copy-paste Bitcoin based coins, and the new Java software based coins, now we have coins that are simply made up ripple assets.. at least the copy and pasters had to do a little work.. how long does it take to create a ripple asset, all of about 10 seconds..
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:03:48 PM

Good lord, not only do we have a flood of copy-paste Bitcoin based coins, and the new Java software based coins, now we have coins that are simply made up ripple assets.. at least the copy and pasters had to do a little work.. how long does it take to create a ripple asset, all of about 10 seconds..

This is a feature in many respects.

montgolfier

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:28:13 PM

Is there a list of sites accepting XRP floating about anywhere?
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:46:58 PM

Ripple has done nothing but plummet the last few months. There is zero reason this coin is worth 2 billion and i am glad it was put back on Crypto market cap because it will accelerate the mass exodus from a coin that is going nowhere.

The number 1 reason this type of coin and NXT and QRK and any other coin will ultimately fail is because you cannot buy adoption, a community, an economy. You cannot purchase or acquire in any way the ecosystem that will make the coin actually worth more than zero.

Mined coins are ingenious because the ecosystem is organic, the ecosystem is first created by the miner and then others eventually join in to make a community.

Very similar to the gold mining era in the USA, huge communities would blossom overnight to support mining towns. The connected infrastructure created San Francisco.

However, you cannot buy a few hundred people put them in a town and wave your hands dramatically and say come here, come here, buy my gold!!

Everyone will laugh at you.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:04:54 PM

Ripple has done nothing but plummet the last few months.
Ripple != XRP, the price is still quite stable in USD terms (though falling slowly there as well).
Actually it has been falling for a bit less than 2 months, if you got in before that, you have a ~100% or more profit still.

You can transparently use XRP at current market rates to pay at any place that accepts Bitcoins for example.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
DieJohnny
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:17:14 PM

Ripple has done nothing but plummet the last few months.
Ripple != XRP, the price is still quite stable in USD terms (though falling slowly there as well).
Actually it has been falling for a bit less than 2 months, if you got in before that, you have a ~100% or more profit still.

You can transparently use XRP at current market rates to pay at any place that accepts Bitcoins for example.

Ripple has lost 30% in the last couple months, and will continue to bomb out

I actually tried using Ripple and I failed. The markets and uses for Ripple are abysmal because nobody cares.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
5od0miz3r

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:34:49 PM

I actually tried using Ripple and I failed. The markets and uses for Ripple are abysmal because nobody cares.

https://i.imgur.com/UlUU9x0.png
DieJohnny
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:00:43 PM

Dear God, why are their so many skeptics about DOGE at this point.

Much network hash rate - miners
Such youth adoption - turning BTC into Blackberry?
Very Volume!!!! - much investment

What will be beyond funny is watching DOGE go ballistic in the next six months while LTC and BTC mope around and decide what they are going to do.

5od0miz3r

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:06:32 PM

What will be beyond funny is watching DOGE go ballistic in the next six months while LTC and BTC mope around and decide what they are going to do.

No.  BTC is first coin and winner coin.  All other coins is JOKES but doge honest about JOKE.  So DOGE take market cap from alts:

V FAST, MUCH CONFIRMS

Bitcoin = 10 min  ->  Litcoin = 2.5 min   ->  Dogecoin = 1 min

SO COINS, V RICH

Bitcoin = 21,000,000 BTC  ->  Litcoin = 84,000,000 LTC   ->  Dogecoin = 100,000,000,000 DOGE

SUCH COMMUNITY

r/Bitcoin = 954 online now   ->   r/Litecoin = 130 online now   ->   r/Dogecoin = 823 online now

doge-dice.com (trusted dooglus), doge-road (such highz), doge-tip bot (so generous)

LITECOIN SO SATURATE, DOGECOIN TO MOON
DieJohnny
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:10:44 PM

r/Bitcoin = 954 online now   ->   r/Litecoin = 130 online now   ->   r/Dogecoin = 823 online now

+1

subreddit for DOGE is slightly below BTC!!! WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DieJohnny
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:32:40 PM

Uhhh i just checked r/dogecoin has 4800+ online right now

r/bitcoin has only 1300.....

four times the subreddit interest in two months....... and in six months...... and in one year.....

much excitement

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:53:43 PM

Bump.

You guys are ripe, about as paranoid as a schizophrenic in police custody.

What is ripple?

I still dont know what ripple is.  Still havnt panic sold for ripple.

What am I doing wrong EM?

Also Active Users:

/r/Bitcoin = 1,206 users here now
/r/dogecoin = 374

What flavor of the week should I be afraid of today bears?
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 08:42:35 PM

I still dont know what ripple is.
It's a platform for issuing, redeeming, holding, transferring, and trading arbitrary assets.

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:46:59 PM

It's a platform for issuing, redeeming, holding, transferring, and trading arbitrary assets.

BTC does all of this while being decentralized right?
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 08:55:39 PM

BTC does all of this while being decentralized right?
No. Bitcoin allows you to hold and transfer BTC, but that's it. (Unless you build things like colored coins on top of it.)

Update: I guess it sort of issues it too.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: