Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:41:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the difference between a normal wallet and a node?  (Read 2642 times)
kevin08 (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 10:55:32 PM

What's the difference between a normal bitcoin core wallet and a bitcoin node?

What's the difference in settings between the two besides opening port 8333 for the node?

Is there a way to stop your node transmitting too much data for if your node's connection has limited bandwidth? I guess if too many wallets start downloading the whole blockchain through your node any data limit would be breached quickly.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 11:13:22 PM

Bitcoin Core is the software. Core can work as a Wallet and/or a Node. Same software, two different functionality that can work at the same time, or not. Does this answer your question?

I don't think there's a way to limit bandwidth usage in Core, you'd have to do that at the system level I think.
kevin08 (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 11:28:52 PM

Bitcoin Core is the software. Core can work as a Wallet and/or a Node. Same software, two different functionality that can work at the same time, or not. Does this answer your question?

I don't think there's a way to limit bandwidth usage in Core, you'd have to do that at the system level I think.

What settings do you have to alter to make Core work as a Node? I know wallets and nodes operate differently, and that you need to open port 8333 to let your node get more than 8 connections to other nodes, but there must be more settings that need changing. Otherwise everyone' wallet would operate as a node.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 12:26:58 AM

What settings do you have to alter to make Core work as a Node? I know wallets and nodes operate differently, and that you need to open port 8333 to let your node get more than 8 connections to other nodes, but there must be more settings that need changing. Otherwise everyone' wallet would operate as a node.

None, Core has the ability to work as a node straight out of the box. Everyone's wallet is a node, you just have to forward the right port and you're contributing.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 12:33:26 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

You can google "running a full node" for instructions.

You can google "limit bandwidth of bitcoin core" to learn how to limit the bandwidth.

I was looking at this today, and I have a question.  Instead of limiting the bandwidth what happens if I just use the -maxconnections switch?  Wouldn't that limit the number of connections to my full node and as a side effect reduce the bandwidth used?  Installing yet another program to limit the bandwidth seems a bit of a pain - but that is the way to do it on Windows according to the articles I read.

I notice about 20 GB per day outgoing when I run my full node "out of the box".

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 12:56:05 AM

you can limit the number of connections to your node/wallet with "maxconnections=10" in your bitcoin.conf file, but you dont want to go lower than 8 or 9 as it will hinder the functionality.

listen=0 is another setting to consider.

you should read the documentation that comes with your wallet, there is a lot of useful information at your disposal.

as for wallet/node, people tend to use the term interchangeably, a FULL node however requires a few more steps to fulfill the terms requirements.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
smaxz

VeganAcademy

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 01:04:45 AM

You can google "limit bandwidth of bitcoin core" to learn how to limit the bandwidth.

I was looking at this today, and I have a question.  Instead of limiting the bandwidth what happens if I just use the -maxconnections switch?  Wouldn't that limit the number of connections to my full node and as a side effect reduce the bandwidth used?  Installing yet another program to limit the bandwidth seems a bit of a pain - but that is the way to do it on Windows according to the articles I read.

yes use maxconnections, try not to go below 10 though.

how many connections do you seem to be averaging with 20GB/day throughput?

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 01:15:55 AM

yes use maxconnections, try not to go below 10 though.

how many connections do you seem to be averaging with 20GB/day throughput?
8 in [standard]
30-40 out

I was thinking of limiting it to a total of 16 [8 in, 8 out] to see if that would reduce the bandwidth consumption to a more reasonable level.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
smaxz

VeganAcademy

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 01:21:32 AM

yeah for sure.. report back with stats if you can.

curious how effective this can be even though i've been doing it since forever.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 03:46:12 AM

Surely if you want to limit bandwidth, just don't run the core all the time.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 07:33:53 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

A build in limiter is coming with 0.12.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 03:53:15 PM

Great news.  When is 0.12 slated to be released?

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:56:30 PM

rc1 was just a few days ago (Sunday).  

I think the goal was by the end of January depending on how the testing goes.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 03:57:44 PM

rc1 already is, cant be long.

-> https://bitcoin.org/bin/bitcoin-core-0.12.0/test/

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
sp00lin9

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 05:35:36 PM

You also have the option to compile Bitcoin core without a wallet if you're looking to create strictly a P2P node using the following:
Code:
./configure --disable-wallet

cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 08:22:29 PM

Question for clarity's sake:  When I download my Core software and run it straight out of the box, am I running a full node?  Also, if I upgraded to Core V0.12.0 will I also be running a full node straight away?  Or, will I have to make changes to my configuration file to make that happen?
sp00lin9

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 01:02:18 AM

Question for clarity's sake:  When I download my Core software and run it straight out of the box, am I running a full node?  Also, if I upgraded to Core V0.12.0 will I also be running a full node straight away?  Or, will I have to make changes to my configuration file to make that happen?

Negative, It does not run as a full node without configuration straight out the box. From what i understand, It would need to be configured accordingly.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6577

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 01:19:07 AM

Negative, It does not run as a full node without configuration straight out the box. From what i understand, It would need to be configured accordingly.
No, you are wrong. Bitcoin Core and all forks of it run as full nodes straight out of the box. A full node receives every block and every transaction and will validate every single one and relay them to its peers if they do verify. It does not require allowing incoming connections, simply having any connection to the network (including outbound ones) makes the node contributing and simply running the software is running a full node and contributing.

sp00lin9

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 04:27:32 AM

No, you are wrong. Bitcoin Core and all forks of it run as full nodes straight out of the box. A full node receives every block and every transaction and will validate every single one and relay them to its peers if they do verify. It does not require allowing incoming connections, simply having any connection to the network (including outbound ones) makes the node contributing and simply running the software is running a full node and contributing.

May I ask where you confidently acquired this information?

The network configuration portion of Bitcoin's own website actually states the opposite of what you just said.

https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#network-configuration
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6577

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2016, 04:59:17 AM

May I ask where you confidently acquired this information?

The network configuration portion of Bitcoin's own website actually states the opposite of what you just said.

https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#network-configuration
Where does it say that to run a full node you must accept incoming connections? Perhaps you should read the entire page you linked, especially at the top where it defines what a full node is.

Accepting incoming connections has nothing to do with the full node party. A full node is defined as a node that fully verifies all the transactions and blocks it receives, and to do that it must also fully verify the entire blockchain. It is simply recommended and preferred that people accept incoming connections, but having outbound connections us still being a full node and contributing to the network and enforcing the consensus rules.

Read this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Full_node

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: