Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 06:03:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: treat me as a newbie for this, idk but, question about HD and the UI  (Read 846 times)
AJRGale (OP)

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:26:39 AM

So, you wanted to drop the "Classic" for HD eh? with not a real easy path to "upgrade".. so following this "upgrade" path requires me to basically create a new wallet with HD and dump all coins from the "Classic" to it..

simple question, where the hell do you see the new wallet address in HD? I've clicked and flipped windows and boxes within this program to find a proper Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V to add in a "send to" address for classic.

since HD rotates addresses, looks like this makes it had to maintain a single public address/vanity address?

..and yes, I'm one of them "why change? whats wrong with Classic?" trying to change over.. I don't want to go down that path in here, there is already enough about it, just be happy that I'm willing to move over..
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1523

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 07:28:14 AM

So, you wanted to drop the "Classic" for HD eh? with not a real easy path to "upgrade".. so following this "upgrade" path requires me to basically create a new wallet with HD and dump all coins from the "Classic" to it..

correct.

simple question, where the hell do you see the new wallet address in HD? I've clicked and flipped windows and boxes within this program to find a proper Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V to add in a "send to" address for classic.

Click the "request" button under "payment" (the actual words might differ, doing this from memory)

since HD rotates addresses, looks like this makes it had to maintain a single public address/vanity address?

You cant import keys, so you cant have a vanity address with Multibit HD at all. Address reuse is bad practice, so it is not encouraged with HD either. You can however safe the first address you get and reuse it.

..and yes, I'm one of them "why change? whats wrong with Classic?" trying to change over.. I don't want to go down that path in here, there is already enough about it, just be happy that I'm willing to move over..

If its such a big deal stay with classic. It still gets crucial updates.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
AJRGale (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:42:32 AM

correct.

Fare enough, if the Devs say upgrade, and you want to still use their software, you do as they ask, best way for security that they can implement.

Click the "request" button under "payment" (the actual words might differ, doing this from memory)

yep, I see it, it also changes address each time..

You cant import keys, so you cant have a vanity address with Multibit HD at all. Address reuse is bad practice, so it is not encouraged with HD either. You can however safe the first address you get and reuse it.
so tip jars are bad practice? mining target addresses are bad practice? here I thought bad security (simple passwords/phrases) was the bad practice.
even if I uses multi addresses that all run off one key, if that key was "Password", its not 1 address compromised, its all of them. Please prove me wrong.

I understand the concept to "spread you BTC over different addresses", but I don't see how using the same key to several addresses makes any difference to security.
Also, cant import keys? how you Blockchain.info to *.wallet then? is that not "importing" a key?

um, did not the author want to drop classic? if not, why HD then? why not continue with classic? what am I missing here?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1523

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 06:25:13 AM

correct.

Fare enough, if the Devs say upgrade, and you want to still use their software, you do as they ask, best way for security that they can implement.

yep, I see it, it also changes address each time..

Yes, AFAIK there is no list of addresses either. I think they tried to hide the address concept as much as possible so people dont think the address is their wallet or something similar. If you consider an address a one time use thing, it makes sense.

so tip jars are bad practice? mining target addresses are bad practice? here I thought bad security (simple passwords/phrases) was the bad practice.
even if I uses multi addresses that all run off one key, if that key was "Password", its not 1 address compromised, its all of them. Please prove me wrong.

Different scenarios. A good password is a defense against an attacker that tries to steal your coins and already compromised your machine/wallet file. Avoiding reuse of addresses is a defense against an attacker that tries to learn about your wealth. Having a single address to receive multiple payment is perfectly fine if you dont care about that.

Keep in mind that Multibit HD heavily - even more so than classic - focuses on users that have next to no knowledge about bitcoin and its inner workings. You might have outgrown the wallet if it no longer meets your demands. Its still a very good wallet IMHO, just not a one size fits all.

I understand the concept to "spread you BTC over different addresses", but I don't see how using the same key to several addresses makes any difference to security.

Its only a security issue in case of a ECDSA attack, which is hardly a common scenario to defend against.

Also, cant import keys? how you Blockchain.info to *.wallet then? is that not "importing" a key?

Not sure what "to *.wallet" means, but it sounds like the multibit classic import process. Classic lets you import, HD not.

um, did not the author want to drop classic? if not, why HD then? why not continue with classic? what am I missing here?

Well HD is certainly an improvement.

#1 better brute force protection. HD is ~10000 slower to attack, at least on my CPU.
#2 HD backup scheme via seeds
#3 arguably better design
#4 hardware wallet support
#5 probably more that Im missing.

It also comes with regular automated (or forced if you want to see it like that) donations to the devs. Which may or may not be a downside for you.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
AJRGale (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 01:11:24 AM

Its all good, I just wanted a better way to store my BTC, but have it on multiple systems too (for easier access). I'm just used to the old style of 1 address = your wallet = your security..

I'll just have to keep classic going for a "pay to" target, as a seller of items, receiver of coin, aka merchant (when applicable), one cant just "request" payments off every customer.

Yeah, the *.wallet file is a classic thing, just had to play with the HD to see it isn't in there, blockchain.info site has multibit as one of the external manager for their wallet they give you.

I understand the concept better now, thank you, just as long as multibit HD doesn't lose any address information (hence losing coins) over computer issues (crashed on writing data to disk, so data gets corrupted, etc..), just in case of tat happening, multiple instances of the one wallet will be run on different systems, so I should be right..
..Also backups Wink

the hardware wallet idea does intrigue me, I may have to get a Trezor one day..
Also, the automated payments to the devs, I have not one little problem with that, they had that clear at the start of getting the software, if I didn't like it I would of moved on by now. its just like you getting 30 second ads at the start of an online video, they have to pay for their services too.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 02:34:25 PM

You can continue to use an address forever if you want to. Addresses don't expire and all addresses derived from your seed can be used to receive payments. It's just bad for privacy and security to reuse addresses but if your not too bothered about that then by all means continue doing it. Better that you switch to HD than hold out because of this one thing.

Vanity addresses are not supported in Multibit HD AFAIK. Generally speaking you should avoid handling private keys directly. You have to let go of those old ways.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: