Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:14:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Open Letter to Kris Henriksen of BIPS.me  (Read 453 times)
bittenbob (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 09:54:40 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2016, 10:42:05 PM by bittenbob

Kris,

As someone who used to be associated with BIPS and whose reputation has taken a hit as a result of the website's hack, I ask for transparency on behalf of the public and myself. You have provided the public no concrete details about what was exploited nor how access was gained. ~1300 BTC of user funds were taken and not repaid to this day: A tragedy which is hard to stomach given the once sterling reputation of the business. When I left BIPS in the summer of 2013 there were no known security issues and a sizable profit sitting in the wallet. Having handled customer support, I did not see a single security flaw reported up until my departure.

Until you provide technical proof of the hack beyond the address which Bitcoins were sent to I have very serious concerns about what happened. Anyone could have discovered this address using the block chain and I refuse to believe you have no more details than that. Providing the full technical details of this hack to the public may help in apprehending the suspect and give hope to those who have lost coins. As far as I can tell BIPS is long gone and not coming back - there is nothing to lose by releasing information about the hack.

The stolen coins were on the move last summer until the public took note; so whoever took them still has access and in theory could return them. If the hacker has a heart, they will give the Bitcoins back to someone who can give them back to the users. I want nothing to do with the process but I propose BitPay, BitStamp or some other reputable member of the community provide an address which funds can be sent to. My relationship with BIPS officially ended July 2013 and I want nothing to do with it after how things ended.

To the hacker: You will never be able to spend those coins, so why don't you just return them? Any attempts to spend them will result in your identity being revealed and you being caught.

Kris: You owe it to the public to provide every technical detail to the public including the server logs. The missing ~1300 BTC is almost $1 million Canadian today and silence on the issue is unacceptable. The public needs to know I am not okay with this and you should not be either.

Sincerely,
Adam Harding
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coteeric

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 01:31:11 PM

Adam,

I am a fellow Canadian who also lost my Bitcoins (~7.5 BTC) with the BIPS "hack". I completely agree with you that technically this should be traceable by BIPS and at least a minimum of transparency could help those like us who lost quite a bit of money in this... Any additional/helpful information on where the BTC went or on any action taken to recover them would be appreciated.

Kris: This is the minimum you owe to us!!

Sincerely,
Eric
MrBitco.in

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:40:08 PM

Same here. About 1.9 BTC lost in the BIPS hack. As far as I know a police report has never been filed? No investigation was done? Never an apology. Just an empty account... Poof... Everything was gone. balance 0.

You owe us Kris Henriksen...

ejntaylor

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 12:52:59 AM

Shame they never communicated much about what happened. Here is video of Kris mentioning hack: https://youtu.be/It-SMzZaPuo?t=1478

I referenced the addresses used in the hack here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=166931;sa=showPosts

They are:

https://blockchain.info/address/1LuG91tcSQxKj32BsCoRkX7yQLfj9LtkCs
https://blockchain.info/address/1HpwmCt8LE6uA6gMDowMiYAFjqAa5BNrzg

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: