Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:53:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Classic discussion  (Read 2283 times)
worhiper_-_ (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 02:20:51 PM

Bitcoin classic has it's own bitcoin.com forum

https://forum.bitcoin.com/full-clients-bitcoin-classic/
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 02:40:49 PM

Nomenclature needs an update.

May I offer:

• The blockchain that you should trust is the valid blockhain that you can get that has the most proof of work.
  • A blockchain is valid if and only if the software you are running says that it is valid.
  • "The bitcoin blockchain" is the blockchain that you call "the bitcoin blockchain".

The question "in a persistent fork of the blockchain, which branch will be the real bitcoin?" is basically a religious question.  You should think about it as you would think of "in a schism of my Church, which side will be the True Church?".

1. the "bitcoin" blockchain works when I put in my private keys for coins I own (both classic and core would qualify)
2. I can mine on the bitcoin blockchain (both classic and core would qualify)
3. I can trade with newly mined coins and my old coins on the same exchange

Moral of the story, whoever wins exchanges wins the battle.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 03:03:55 PM

Nomenclature needs an update.

May I offer:

• The blockchain that you should trust is the valid blockhain that you can get that has the most proof of work.
  • A blockchain is valid if and only if the software you are running says that it is valid.
  • "The bitcoin blockchain" is the blockchain that you call "the bitcoin blockchain".

The question "in a persistent fork of the blockchain, which branch will be the real bitcoin?" is basically a religious question.  You should think about it as you would think of "in a schism of my Church, which side will be the True Church?".

1. the "bitcoin" blockchain works when I put in my private keys for coins I own (both classic and core would qualify)
2. I can mine on the bitcoin blockchain (both classic and core would qualify)
3. I can trade with newly mined coins and my old coins on the same exchange

Moral of the story, whoever wins exchanges wins the battle.

Yup. And miners won't mine blocks that exchanges won't buy, so it really only takes a bit of coordination between the largest miners (not necessarily pools) and the largest exchanges.

worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 01:42:19 PM

Consensus from the Chinese seems to be moving back and forth, don't know what to believe anymore...

https://redd.it/42fgiv
worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 07:11:42 PM

Keccak proposal for bitcoin core following the one of Luke Jr

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7410
worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 07:12:31 PM

consider.it under attack

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin_Classic/comments/42kbof/considerit_is_experiencing_an_attack/
worhiper_-_ (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:42:29 PM

Binaries are out

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/448wt3/classic_binaries_are_out_download_it_now_get_your/
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 12:16:34 AM

Agreed, fork proposals are not Bitcoin.

I also find naming fork proposals like XT and Classic kind of ridiculous. There's no need to try to add flavors or plant flags like that. Bitcoin is Bitcoin and if it's not then that's an irrelevant altcoin.

not so ridiculous. 5% of network runs 'classic' nodes according to bitnodes.21.ca

I'm surprised "Satoshi:0.xx.x" clients don't refuse connections from nodes with non-bitcoin user agent strings.

It should be configurable option to list what node types (user agents, protocol numbers) are allowed to connect to your node.

If "Satoshi:0.12.1" had this feature, classic nodes will have to connect to themselves.

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 03:22:52 PM

Agreed, fork proposals are not Bitcoin.

I also find naming fork proposals like XT and Classic kind of ridiculous. There's no need to try to add flavors or plant flags like that. Bitcoin is Bitcoin and if it's not then that's an irrelevant altcoin.

not so ridiculous. 5% of network runs 'classic' nodes according to bitnodes.21.ca

I'm surprised "Satoshi:0.xx.x" clients don't refuse connections from nodes with non-bitcoin user agent strings.

It should be configurable option to list what node types (user agents, protocol numbers) are allowed to connect to your node.

If "Satoshi:0.12.1" had this feature, classic nodes will have to connect to themselves.

If Satoshi:0.12.1 clients rejected other user agents then all user agents would just report themselves as Satosh user agent. Core devs won't likely introduce a feature where end users could configure consensus changes like rejecting protocol blocks. If they did that then why wouldn't they offer the same feature for block size, similar to Bitcoin Unlimited?

Either the economic majority will produce blocks > 1MB in the near future or they won't. There's nothing that the economic minority can do to stop this.

alecfisker

Activity: 65
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 14, 2024, 05:56:26 PM

Original Bitcoin Classic developer abandoned project, coin was taken over by investors community, I contacted exchange to reactivate coin, they ask for a secret word, who have developer contacts please
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: