Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:07:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to view the wallet's IP address? (Trying to use proxy)  (Read 1450 times)
NoahWL1 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:08:13 PM

I'm trying to use a proxy with my wallet that requires authentication.  I couldn't find a whole lot on this, but I was able to get the wallet to launch and connect to the network with the option                "-proxy=proxyusername:proxypassword@proxyaddress.com:23".  However, I'm not sure if it's working or not.  How can I check the address my wallet is using, to check if it is using the proxy?  Is there a console command or other way I can view it?  Thanks.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 11:26:37 PM

I'm trying to use a proxy with my wallet that requires authentication.  I couldn't find a whole lot on this, but I was able to get the wallet to launch and connect to the network with the option                "-proxy=proxyusername:proxypassword@proxyaddress.com:23".  However, I'm not sure if it's working or not.  How can I check the address my wallet is using, to check if it is using the proxy?  Is there a console command or other way I can view it?  Thanks.
Open Help > Debug Window and go to the peers tab. Click on one of the peers and in the area on the right of the window, it should show info about that peer. At the top it will say something like
Code:
37.187.151.83:8333 (node id: 5)
via 176.10.104.240:35174
The first ip address is the nodes ip address, the second, after the "via" is your external ip address. If this ip address matches your proxy's ip, then you are using the proxy correctly. If it doesn't then something is wrong.

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 12:45:55 AM

I'm trying to use a proxy with my wallet that requires authentication.  I couldn't find a whole lot on this, but I was able to get the wallet to launch and connect to the network with the option                "-proxy=proxyusername:proxypassword@proxyaddress.com:23".  However, I'm not sure if it's working or not.  How can I check the address my wallet is using, to check if it is using the proxy?  Is there a console command or other way I can view it?  Thanks.
Open Help > Debug Window and go to the peers tab. Click on one of the peers and in the area on the right of the window, it should show info about that peer. At the top it will say something like
Code:
37.187.151.83:8333 (node id: 5)
via 176.10.104.240:35174
The first ip address is the nodes ip address, the second, after the "via" is your external ip address. If this ip address matches your proxy's ip, then you are using the proxy correctly. If it doesn't then something is wrong.
Thanks!  Unfortunately it shows my actual IP address instead of the proxy.  Do you know if there a different way to use a proxy that requires authentication, instead of "-proxy=proxyusername:proxypassword@proxyaddress.com:23" since it doesn't work?
I don't think there really is another option. IIRC the proxy option was really meant for Tor usage and not other proxies.

nonbody

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

2local[IEO] - https://2local.io/

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:46:56 AM

You don't need to do things like that. I suggest you to use Tor, VPN or public wifi for hiding your ip. You could google how to set up them. There is no need to configure the bitcoin wallets you are using. I got one tutorial for you! https://bitcoinhelp.net/know/more/using-bitcoin-anonymously

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌
██████▀▐███████████████
░░▀███░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀