Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:00:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Ether can overcome Bitcoin  (Read 1811 times)
LiberOptions (OP)

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 04:58:20 AM

I'm a noob, but recently I have been hearing that bitcoin is dieyng and that another altcoin will be its substitute.
Many people pointed XMR - monero as a possible successor while others think that it will be ethereum.
What's your take on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 05:39:09 AM

I'm a noob, but recently I have been hearing that bitcoin is dieyng and that another altcoin will be its substitute.
Many people pointed XMR - monero as a possible successor while others think that it will be ethereum.

Bitcoin has been 'dying' ever since I got involved with it back in 2013 and I'm sure it will continue 'dying' several more deaths before it either makes it or doesn't (spoiler: looks like it makes it).

Ethereum is an entirely different animal however.  It's quite a bit more ambitious (imho) than Bitcoin in some respects in that it's implementing a turing-complete language built right into the ethereum blockchain.  This ultimately will make de-centralized app's and things like smart-contracts far easier to develop with ethereum if it's successful.  The catch here of course, is all that additional complexity makes for a whole lotta places where things can go wrong.  To get an example of what this language in ether looks like take a look at
http://etherscripter.com/0-5-1/
and select any one of the [Sample] contracts to get an idea of just how varied potential smart contracts can be.  Truly only limited by ones imagination.

Not to take anything away from bitcoin.  It's the first mover and has survived countless attacks both technical and otherwise (including a recent painful Hearnia :p) whereas ethereum is still very much as yet an untested entity in many respects but the more it gains in overall marketcap you can be sure more and more attacks to try and undo it will be occurring.  Will ether ever overtake bitcoin?  Personally I really doubt it.  The safer play is probably with bitcoin however I wouldn't discourage one from picking up a few to hold onto for awhile JIC Smiley

*My 2 satoshi's worth

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
stingers
Legendary

Activity: 1184
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:39:26 AM

Bitcoin has been 'dying' ever since I got involved with it back in 2013 and I'm sure it will continue 'dying' several more deaths before it either makes it or doesn't (spoiler: looks like it makes it).

Ethereum is an entirely different animal however.  It's quite a bit more ambitious (imho) than Bitcoin in some respects in that it's implementing a turing-complete language built right into the ethereum blockchain.  This ultimately will make de-centralized app's and things like smart-contracts far easier to develop with ethereum if it's successful.  The catch here of course, is all that additional complexity makes for a whole lotta places where things can go wrong.  To get an example of what this language in ether looks like take a look at
http://etherscripter.com/0-5-1/
and select any one of the [Sample] contracts to get an idea of just how varied potential smart contracts can be.  Truly only limited by ones imagination.

Not to take anything away from bitcoin.  It's the first mover and has survived countless attacks both technical and otherwise (including a recent painful Hearnia :p) whereas ethereum is still very much as yet an untested entity in many respects but the more it gains in overall marketcap you can be sure more and more attacks to try and undo it will be occurring.  Will ether ever overtake bitcoin?  Personally I really doubt it.  The safer play is probably with bitcoin however I wouldn't discourage one from picking up a few to hold onto for awhile JIC Smiley

*My 2 satoshi's worth
On what basis do you claim that Bitcoin is dying? Ethereum is nowhere even close to even Bitcoin. I sometimes just feel that whoever gets involved with any alt currency begins to think that his coin is going to be the best i.e will be destroying BTC.
But the fact is that if BTC dies, every alt currency will eventually die due to lack of confidence by the community.
mark coins

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:07:11 AM

i dont think bitcoin will die (atleast in the next few years) just because one dev stops. bitcoin is being used almost worldwide now and still continue to grow as we discuss this. altcoin is still an altcoin, its like the secondary crypto currency, bitcoin is the main thing so it wont die just because of 1 person stops
rezilient

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:28:06 AM

The problem is bitcoin is the primary source for this altcoins to have value thus if bitcoins dies all of the altcoins dies. I think bitcoin is only the crytpocurrency you can buy with fiat directly. Bitcoin has companies using it which other cryptos are lacking.

You don't pay enough.
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:35:49 AM

People usually say things because they do have motives, its very unusual to see a legendary account saying bitcoin is dying but i think this is because they want to buy more btc to gain profit after the price retraces back. for someone who is afraid they might lose money in the end, they will sell their btc all because of the rumors being spread that btc is dying.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:37:03 AM

The problem with many coins that have the potential to be a rival to bitcoin is the way it is distributed and the amount certain people hold.

Coupled with the fact that a lot of lies were told in the beginning about how there were no extra coins and such, will make sure it takes a long long time before this happens. Expect a nice dump on every nice price increase from dev whales.

Also the management of some projects like ehtereum can use some help. Blowing over 20 mil in a year and not having a noob friendly wallet. Seriously?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:43:06 AM

no because their coins is nothing more than a clone of bitcoin, what it's good about their project is the platform not the coin they are using, i also remember that they intended to use bitcoin for their platform at soem point
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 07:53:12 AM

I believe that Bitcoin is here to stay. There will be other crypto-currencies around as well, but that won't stop Bitcoin becoming the stable grand-daddy ( as long as all these forking disputes don't screw things up ). People buy silver and copper jewellery, but that doesn't stop people wanting gold jewellery.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
mxnsch

Activity: 471
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:54:01 AM

I think nwfella pretty much nailed it. Personally, i think Ethereum has a long way to go. It is definitely one of the alts that has a better chance of future. Community work and documentation is key here and that seems to be a strength of ETH so far.

BTC imho will not "die" anytime soon (what way can a Software die anyways?) and increase it's value not only in pricing, but in a proven reference implementation that everybody can research and base new implementations on.

As far as i can see, the blockchain is the first truly open (source based) ressource since the Internet itself (protocols and open content) was invented. That's the spirit of open source and i love it.

██  ███  nope ██  ███
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 08:12:08 AM

"do you think x coin can overcome Bitcoin?" - just don't.

Ethereum has potential and is looking for a bright future in my opinion, but I doubt any coin will overcome Bitcoin anytime soon.

Loimu

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 09:10:03 AM

People usually say things because they do have motives, its very unusual to see a legendary account saying bitcoin is dying but i think this is because they want to buy more btc to gain profit after the price retraces back.

No legendary has said here that bitcoin is dying. Please read the posts carefully so you actually understand them before answering.

Master_dandosha

Activity: 714

IF YOU Enjoy Trade with ME ..PUT Feedback Please

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 11:09:54 AM

Ethereum is good alternative coin but i don’t think any alternative coin will overcome bitcoin soon because of many factors bitcoin has that you will never find in any other alternative coin .

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:27:02 PM

If the bitcoin system stays intact it will NEVER go to 0, before that I will by all...
And there will always be some people, who want to own it, because its the first of its kind and very popular.
You can compare that with old stamps. For example the "market cap" of the first stamp, Penny Black (very old, but still), is interestingly about the current market cap of bitcoin. (http://www.stampcollectingblog.com/which-stamps-are-worth-money.php)
All those stamps have literally NO worth, you can just collect them, nothing more.
Noone, who doesn't collect, will accept it as a payment, because he doesn't know it.
Can you imagine bitcoin ever being less worth than such stamps? Ridiculous...

@topic
Ethereum may surpass bitcoin or not. Depends on the marketing. This is kind of a war...
But it will have a very hard time, thats for sure. I personally think, it won't... although I am invested.
rezilient

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:30:53 PM

People usually say things because they do have motives, its very unusual to see a legendary account saying bitcoin is dying but i think this is because they want to buy more btc to gain profit after the price retraces back.

No legendary has said here that bitcoin is dying. Please read the posts carefully so you actually understand them before answering.

Oh please!, visit the speculation thread

or check the kwuckduck account, he literally posts a doomsday thread about bitcoin.

You don't pay enough.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:34:53 PM

According to the mass media Bitcoin is constantly dying since the beginning. When it isn't, then it's a soon to be burst "Internet phenomenon" Smiley.

Monero is a good coin but at this moment it's more like a "niche coin" for a specific group of users than something for Average Joe. ETH is pretty much the same but for different applications and for a different target group. Bitcoin is something more generic however it's a bit rudimentary, slow and outdated if you compare it to these newer coins. Sooner or later an other coin will overtake it but that's not going to happen very soon. Don't forget that BTC is still a cutting edge technology in the outside world, and probably we are the only people who see it as a vintage stuff Smiley.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:36:53 PM

or check the kwuckduck account, he literally posts a doomsday thread about bitcoin.

Kwuckduck is a sold account, in addition a well known BTC shorter. Of course he posts a new doomsday thread every day Smiley.
lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:37:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised, if those guys were payed for fud by the banks...
rezilient

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 12:39:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised, if those guys were payed for fud by the banks...

Yah, especially since kwuckduck and other freshly created accounts posts crashing and burning posts

You don't pay enough.
tolikkk

Activity: 952

www.pumpmycoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 01:00:23 PM

realizing that the form proposed by the man and his vision of the future of Finance and how this form came to mind, as a form and as a directional vector and more, but the capacity of diversity and that one could not contain all conceived and that success will have a different shape and that the only decision for adoption and just form of looking ahead, of course, and Ether, and other similar coins can be having the chance to succeed and that the wording in the responsibility for quality and fun product
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: