Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:45:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Ether can overcome Bitcoin  (Read 1813 times)
stingers
Legendary

Activity: 1184
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 01:41:24 PM

People usually say things because they do have motives, its very unusual to see a legendary account saying bitcoin is dying but i think this is because they want to buy more btc to gain profit after the price retraces back.

No legendary has said here that bitcoin is dying. Please read the posts carefully so you actually understand them before answering.

Oh please!, visit the speculation thread

or check the kwuckduck account, he literally posts a doomsday thread about bitcoin.

I wouldn't be surprised, if those guys were payed for fud by the banks...
LoL. That's something I'll be surprised with. Then you must also believe that Hearn has been bought by the banks?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defaultking

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 02:03:16 PM

IMO the only way an altcoin will surpass bitcoin, is if bitcoins development was to just one day stop. As long as bitcoin continues to improve with the other altcoins I feel it will remain number 1. Way too much time and money has been invested in bitcoin for it to just die overnight. A lot of money would have to be invested in an altcoin with teams and teams of developers putting out new content on a weekly basis for anything to surpass bitcoin.
lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 02:21:26 PM

People usually say things because they do have motives, its very unusual to see a legendary account saying bitcoin is dying but i think this is because they want to buy more btc to gain profit after the price retraces back.

No legendary has said here that bitcoin is dying. Please read the posts carefully so you actually understand them before answering.

Oh please!, visit the speculation thread

or check the kwuckduck account, he literally posts a doomsday thread about bitcoin.

I wouldn't be surprised, if those guys were payed for fud by the banks...
LoL. That's something I'll be surprised with. Then you must also believe that Hearn has been bought by the banks?

He works for the banks. That is public already.
There is no proof, that he did his post, because of them, right. But is there any proof that its not?
Rotator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 02:21:38 PM

Who knows but that is very difficult!
Maybe if bitcoin disappear..
stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 02:34:52 PM

Ethereum will be number 2 marketcap coin before the end of february.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 01:21:01 AM

I'm a noob, but recently I have been hearing that bitcoin is dieyng and that another altcoin will be its substitute.
Many people pointed XMR - monero as a possible successor while others think that it will be ethereum.
What's your take on this?

Bitcoin has been 'dying' ever since I got involved with it back in 2013 and I'm sure it will continue 'dying' several more deaths before it either makes it or doesn't (spoiler: looks like it makes it).

Ethereum is an entirely different animal however.  It's quite a bit more ambitious (imho) than Bitcoin in some respects in that it's implementing a turing-complete language built right into the ethereum blockchain.  This ultimately will make de-centralized app's and things like smart-contracts far easier to develop with ethereum if it's successful.  The catch here of course, is all that additional complexity makes for a whole lotta places where things can go wrong.  To get an example of what this language in ether looks like take a look at
http://etherscripter.com/0-5-1/
and select any one of the [Sample] contracts to get an idea of just how varied potential smart contracts can be.  Truly only limited by ones imagination.

Not to take anything away from bitcoin.  It's the first mover and has survived countless attacks both technical and otherwise (including a recent painful Hearnia :p) whereas ethereum is still very much as yet an untested entity in many respects but the more it gains in overall marketcap you can be sure more and more attacks to try and undo it will be occurring.  Will ether ever overtake bitcoin?  Personally I really doubt it.  The safer play is probably with bitcoin however I wouldn't discourage one from picking up a few to hold onto for awhile JIC Smiley

*My 2 satoshi's worth
On what basis do you claim that Bitcoin is dying? Ethereum is nowhere even close to even Bitcoin. I sometimes just feel that whoever gets involved with any alt currency begins to think that his coin is going to be the best i.e will be destroying BTC.
But the fact is that if BTC dies, every alt currency will eventually die due to lack of confidence by the community.

Wrong.  The cat is out of the bag.  Even if BTC dies, other cryptocurrencies, big and small, will always be around.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 02:35:41 PM

l don't know what so special people finding in ETHER?
i see a lot of investors trying to get more publicity attacking bitcoin..
If you believe in your project do marketing.
I'm so tired hearing those nonsense,  ether is better , will kill bitcoin and so on..
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 03:34:22 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2016, 03:53:47 PM by benthach

I'm a noob, but recently I have been hearing that bitcoin is dieyng and that another altcoin will be its substitute.
Many people pointed XMR - monero as a possible successor while others think that it will be ethereum.

this get rich quick coin Etheruim have no adoption and have no voice outside of whales and shark circles. it's going to be dead on the spot whenever their platform is released, if they ever have a stable working one. it's buy on hype and dump on platform release deal. there will always another Etheruim without the get rich quick premined, chance someone or group are coding right now as hobby without the get rich quick deal. the legendary bitcoin can't be replace as it's already established but scam like Etherium come and go, ibm coin, bank of china coin, chase coin...

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 03:39:59 PM

l don't know what so special people finding in ETHER?
i see a lot of investors trying to get more publicity attacking bitcoin..
If you believe in your project do marketing.
I'm so tired hearing those nonsense,  ether is better , will kill bitcoin and so on..

Pros
1 - It works.  And the devs work on the entire ecosystem.  Eth mining was easier and more consistent than LTC mining ever was from day 1 for me.  I was able to sync the entire blockchain from scratch in 20 minutes.  They are slow to release software (just now doing gui wallet).  But when it's released it generally works well. 
2 - Smart contracts.  Will allow things like betting, bond issuancem insurance, pegged currencies & decentralized exchanges on blockchain.  Not only is it theoretically possible - Augur has raised millions for on chain betting.  And (claim) they are going to do it right.
3 - Premine.  Which most people hate and I sit on the fence about all the time.  Since they raised an obscene amount of money (effectively taking the first three years of mining and selling it to investors - then adding more on top of that to donate to talent) it was able to fund itself with more actual programmers than most cryptos have.
(https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/41u7m6/r3_connects_11_banks_to_distributed_ledger_using/)
4 - Scalability is in the works using PoS.  Coming from the guys who got the PoW blocktimes down to 15 seconds I think there's a lot of optimism that this could lead down the path of the type of transaction speed and volume needed for reputation systems, gambling platforms, decentralized exchanges, etc.
5 - Endorements from heavyweights.  IBM used it at CES for IoT demo.  R3 is forking it to run some PoC things with banking.  Nick Snazboo is on their board of advisors.  One of the first platforms Azure added to it's on demand blockchain apps.

There are some MASSIVE problems with Eth.  But honestly if you don't find much interesting about Ethereum then you haven't been paying much attention.
altcoinUK

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 03:50:26 PM

I am one of the longest supporters of Ethereum as well as Gavin Wood and Vitalik, but they can never ever replace Bitcoin nor was the objective of Ethereum to replace BTC.

BTC is fine at this moment in time, shady clusterfucks like NXT can't replace it, more transparent projects like Ethereum neither. BTC will be own and run by central banks, big banks and the government very soon, but that is another entirely different story.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 03:58:30 PM

Good way to see a bit is to join #Ethereum on freenode and ask a question. Then do same and join #monero on Freenode and ask a question there.

You will see the huge difference.

And sort of should be opposite since Monero is opensource without any founds collected to make it happen.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: