Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:46:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal is growing faster than Bitcoin  (Read 3656 times)
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:13:37 PM

There's another topic comparing the 2: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1260666.0

The subject here is that between 2014 and 2015, Paypal gained 16 millions new users (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/about). There's no way to be sure as it's impossible to count how many users BTC has, but I believe it's more than BTC. Much more. So I'm asking why? And ultimately, what can be done to reverse this trend?

Since BTC is cheaper to use, I guess Paypal is more successful because it's better at making its users feel safe, without any dark cloud/block size issue above their heads.

I sincerely believe BTC's one hundred times better than Paypal because it's a currency, and unregulated, but something clearly has to change. I've been here long enough to remember guys writing that BTC would kill Paypal, it hasn't, and it doesn't look that it will.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:18:47 PM

Of course PayPal ia growing faster and enjoys more popularity from the people. It's just normal. I also believe Bitcoin is much better than PayPal, but we need to convince the average Joe's of this world to give Bitcoin a fair chance. But how........
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:28:57 PM

There already has been such discussions and everytime I choose Bitcoins over paypal for the "N" number of reasons.Low fees,easiness,anonymity and fast transactions are few to be mentioned.The simplest reason I could point out is the service fees for my country's Bank Transfer.I'm not from the US or the Uk ,when I try to send the paypal amount in my bank accounts I get ripped off by the service fees its like almost 30% .Also,who wants to submit documents publicly on the internet ? BTCBitcoins forever!
coinzat

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:34:13 PM

Paypal grows faster than bitcoin because there are hundred thousands sites that accept PayPal while the number of sites which accept bitcoin as a payment method is quite few
But once bitcoin get more users, nothing can compete it
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:40:50 PM

Paypal has always been growing, as others said above, because it is the largest most trusted online payment processor now.  This is mostly because of lack of innovation from competitors.  When Bitcoin is used more it will quickly surpass paypal.  patience.  Smiley

I love Bitcoin
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:51:24 PM

PayPal is good making their users feel safe just like banks are good making their users feel safe. They use a honesty mask and make themselves look like an impenetrable vault and regular people believe in them because we were all educated to do so.

Bitcoin's acceptance isn't being hindered by block size issues. When people first get to know and start using Bitcoin, they might not even know what a block is. People will only get to know these issues with Bitcoin if they start using it and investigate the currency, at which point they're probably already actively using Bitcoin in their lives.

The biggest issue is, as said, low merchant acceptance.

Virtual currencies will kill PayPal and fiat. However, Bitcoin might not be that currency, and we might not be here to witness that.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:54:38 PM

PayPal is good making their users feel safe just like banks are good making their users feel safe. They use a honesty mask and make themselves look like an impenetrable vault and regular people believe in them because we were all educated to do so.

Bitcoin's acceptance isn't being hindered by block size issues. When people first get to know and start using Bitcoin, they might not even know what a block is. People will only get to know these issues with Bitcoin if they start using it and investigate the currency, at which point they're probably already actively using Bitcoin in their lives.

Virtual currencies will kill PayPal and fiat. However, Bitcoin might not be that currency, and we might not be here to witness that.

Why not Bitcoin? Bitcoin + Lightning Network is the real Paypal killer. Until then we will possibly remain rather small, but that is actually good news since it only means we have more time to benefit from being there before the average joe jumps in. We are still early adopters. There will be no excuse to not accept BTC once LN is working. It will faster and cheapter than anything else.
SuperCoinGuy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Defender of Bitcoin

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:02:51 PM

PayPal is more popular because like 90% of the worldwide online shops accept it as a payment option along with credit & debit cards.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:04:06 PM

Why not Bitcoin? Bitcoin + Lightning Network is the real Paypal killer. Until then we will possibly remain rather small, but that is actually good news since it only means we have more time to benefit from being there before the average joe jumps in. We are still early adopters. There will be no excuse to not accept BTC once LN is working. It will faster and cheapter than anything else.

It can be Bitcoin, I only stated that it might not be Bitcoin Smiley I don't see Bitcoin being ready for prime time straight away with whatever change it may have this year.

We're delusional if we all think we're early adopters. Not even all Legendary users from this forum are early adopters. At least that's what I think.

Bitcoin is already faster and cheaper. We don't exactly need LN or block size increase for that, especially the cheaper part (pretty hard to be even more expensive than PayPal!!)
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:07:34 PM

Who dont know or had used paypal before?Paypal has regulamentacion and is accepted everywhere and is a company with a long history record,bitcoin made 7 years and is knowed as bad or black market or for some scam attempt sofisticated.Those new costumers will make the match and they will come to bitcoin atleast a part of them,but lets say to them welcome to the online market,as to make paypal account they wanna earn money or buy something.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:20:23 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2016, 08:03:11 PM by n2004al

There's another topic comparing the 2: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1260666.0

The subject here is that between 2014 and 2015, Paypal gained 16 millions new users (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/about). There's no way to be sure as it's impossible to count how many users BTC has, but I believe it's more than BTC. Much more. So I'm asking why? And ultimately, what can be done to reverse this trend?

Since BTC is cheaper to use, I guess Paypal is more successful because it's better at making its users feel safe, without any dark cloud/block size issue above their heads.

I sincerely believe BTC's one hundred times better than Paypal because it's a currency, and unregulated, but something clearly has to change. I've been here long enough to remember guys writing that BTC would kill Paypal, it hasn't, and it doesn't look that it will.

Haven't never understand the reason why can be compared bitcoin with Paypal. Have nothing in common. Bitcoin is currency (or whatever is classified in several countries when it is regulated and is regulated according to the various conjunctures existing in every country) while PayPal is a service which use currencies. So PayPal tomorrow, if decide, can accept bitcoin as one of the currencies which can use this service to reinforce the anonymity which have bitcoin itself. What is taken as a common characteristic when are compared these two subjects? The anonymity which offer both? Have any meaning. It was the same to compare one person who don't want to be identified with a house when is new and yet don't have its address. The second subject can be used from the first and both are anonym. But anyone it is not so crazy to compare the first with the second. Exact the same is even the case of Paypal with bitcoin.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:34:59 PM

You really can't compare bitcoin and paypal.
Paypal is mainstream for a very long time, bitcoin not yet.
Paypal is regulated by the law, bitcoin isn't.
Paypal users can't ask for anonymity from the government, bitcoin users are anonymous.
I can easily find many other things why you can't compare Paypal and Bitcoin but this should be enough, I think.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:51:53 PM

...and do not forget: Paypal is much easier to handle for non-techie persons. Let Bitcoin become more user-friendly (and it will be in the future) then Paypal will get a serious competitor. But not only Paypal, Western Union, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and all the others, too.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:56:36 PM

because it cover the user order, so people feel more secure in using paypal despite the huge fee, especially when they buy from unknown or shady website

with bitcoin is the same if there is an escrow with multi sig addresses, but not many shop online...
Ernstew

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:59:54 PM

with paypal you are also safe, when you do tranzaction online easy can chargeback

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3414

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 08:03:30 PM

The only reason for this is mainly due to the fact that PayPal has been around 10 years more than BTCitcoin has been so far and it's well known among merchants and almost every one accept it but BTCitcoin is still relatively new to the whole world even though has been around for some years. The moment others realize BTCitcoins payment, they will most likely switch to it and stop this trend as it is.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ShrykeZ

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 08:04:48 PM

Accepted in much more places and its had a huge head-start from being the main method for eBay.
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 08:17:47 PM

you should not be comparing bitcoins with paypal these are two kind of a different things, bitcoins is itself a currency ( money ) when paypal is payment processor and there are to much age difference between these 2 so time will tell, i hate paypal when it come to sellers protraction.

maokoto

Activity: 770

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 08:20:58 PM

It is easier to grow when you have a bigger user base already. Just look at two facebook pages, one with 10k followers and other with just 1k. Which one will have a harder time growing? But when user base is really big, then it becomes harder to grow.

ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 08:44:18 PM

It is easier to grow when you have a bigger user base already. Just look at two facebook pages, one with 10k followers and other with just 1k. Which one will have a harder time growing? But when user base is really big, then it becomes harder to grow.
It does not make sense, and the value of Bitcoins is different, if we compare Bitcoins with PayPal then we can mention that only the way they both transfer the money is same. But Bitcoins is itself a digital money and transfer fees is very less compared with other services.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: