Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:08:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does replacement interact with quantum computers?  (Read 2066 times)
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 02:32:13 PM

Last i read you should be able to change the whole tx which was kinda problematic because of double spending.

Oh - I hadn't realised this was the case (that makes me rather less enthusiastic about RBF - I can now envision someone creating a wallet with a "double spend" button).

I dont see a link between broken ecdsa and rbf.

A double-spend attempt is a double-spend attempt but perhaps the attempt itself is made easier with RBF.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1563

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 03:28:18 PM

My understanding was that RBF doesn't let you change the tx other than effectively its fee (i.e. inputs could be added but not outputs) - did I miss something?

Last i read you should be able to change the whole tx which was kinda problematic because of double spending.

Yup. The proposal to only allow changing fee was called FSS RBF (First-Seen-Safe Replace-by-Fee) but afaik it was too complicated to implement.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 03:30:35 PM

Oh - I hadn't realised this was the case (that makes me rather less enthusiastic about RBF - I can now envision someone creating a wallet with a "double spend" button).
It does allow for most of the transaction to be replaced (still has to include at least one input to actually be replacing something). However I don't think most wallets will give you the option to double spend. I think that most wallets will only have an option to boost your fee rather than double spend the transaction. Of course, if someone was being malicious, they probably don't even need a wallet that gives them the option to double spend.

A double-spend attempt is a double-spend attempt but perhaps the attempt itself is made easier with RBF.

If ECDSA is broken by QCs and the private key can be revealed from the public key in less than 10 minutes, an attacker with a QC could find that private key and attempt to double spend the inputs in the transaction that originally had the public key. With the current node policy, if they made a double spend attempt, it would probably fail due to the first seen behavior of nodes. Those nodes would already have seen the original transaction and thus reject the double spend. With RBF, if the attacker simply increased the fee in his malicious transaction, his transaction would be able to replace the original transaction if the original had opted in to RBF. This would make stealing the coins slightly easier, but only if the transaction opted in to RBF.

criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 05:11:49 PM

It does allow for most of the transaction to be replaced (still has to include at least one input to actually be replacing something). However I don't think most wallets will give you the option to double spend. I think that most wallets will only have an option to boost your fee rather than double spend the transaction. Of course, if someone was being malicious, they probably don't even need a wallet that gives them the option to double spend.

If ECDSA is broken by QCs and the private key can be revealed from the public key in less than 10 minutes, an attacker with a QC could find that private key and attempt to double spend the inputs in the transaction that originally had the public key. With the current node policy, if they made a double spend attempt, it would probably fail due to the first seen behavior of nodes. Those nodes would already have seen the original transaction and thus reject the double spend. With RBF, if the attacker simply increased the fee in his malicious transaction, his transaction would be able to replace the original transaction if the original had opted in to RBF. This would make stealing the coins slightly easier, but only if the transaction opted in to RBF.

Yeah i see, you are correct.
I was just thinking about the publickey - privatekey relation not about the funds in the transaction itself.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 06:36:01 PM

=>

An option has been recently merged into Bitcoin Core to disable RBF relaying. In the case that this scenario does happen, people can use that flag to disable RBF and thus we can have more protection against such an attack.

If it was the exact same thing with, or without RBF, then there would be no extra protection against such a scenario by disabling it, right?

Yes, I also don't understand what knightdk is talking about here Smiley 

RBF is about which TX goes into a block.  What does this have to do with ECDSAsec? 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 07:51:39 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2016, 09:26:33 PM by criptix

=>

An option has been recently merged into Bitcoin Core to disable RBF relaying. In the case that this scenario does happen, people can use that flag to disable RBF and thus we can have more protection against such an attack.

If it was the exact same thing with, or without RBF, then there would be no extra protection against such a scenario by disabling it, right?

Yes, I also don't understand what knightdk is talking about here Smiley 

RBF is about which TX goes into a block.  What does this have to do with ECDSAsec? 

if ecdsa is broken through qc we can take a pubkey from a tx and compute the corresponding private key => steal funds from wallet.
the transaction itself would go through and you would not be able to steal it.

now with rbf activated you can even steal the funds in the transaction.

(although the timeframe should be quite short)

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 11:52:52 PM

if ecdsa is broken through qc we can take a pubkey from a tx and compute the corresponding private key => steal funds from wallet.
the transaction itself would go through and you would not be able to steal it.

now with rbf activated you can even steal the funds in the transaction.

(although the timeframe should be quite short)

Ah OK, I think I see what you are saying.  Of course just like nothing has stopped miners from doing a RBF or any other scheme they like for choosing TXes since block 1, nothing could stop them in this scenario from grabbing the privkey and taking the funds. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: