Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 01:31:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin making inroads with the hardcore gold bugs?  (Read 4486 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 12:03:46 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2013, 10:25:49 AM by hazek

Check it!: https://www.lewrockwell.com/donate/
LRC now accepts Bitcoin donations!

Man it sure seems we're just on the cusp of new and bigger avalanche of users that are about to (re)discover and finally adopt Bitcoin! Cheesy

Let's not keep this quite either. Donate some if you can to show our support (I made a small contribution myself) and comment here if you can: http://www.dailypaul.com/267728/check-out-lewrocwellcom-donate and even send contact@mises.org a mail!

If you ask me, it's time. We can now start asking them "So.. what are you waiting for?"

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 12:47:04 PM

Man it sure seems we're just on the cusp of new and bigger avalanche of users that are about to (re)discover and finally adopt Bitcoin! Cheesy
There is no difference in being a hardcore goldbug and being a hardcore cryptobug. It is the same mentality.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 12:50:08 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2013, 10:26:04 AM by hazek

There is no difference in being a hardcore goldbug and being a hardcore cryptobug. It is the same mentality.

Yes and both are pursuing a less than optimal strategy hence why I'm neither and own both PMs and bitcoins. So I fail to see the relevancy of your post as a reply to my OP.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

becoin
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:12:25 PM

So I fail to see the relevancy of your post as a reply to my OP.
A victory for bitcoin will be if you attract people that are currently looking for safety in fiat currencies, not those that are looking for safety in PMs!
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 01:50:26 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2012, 02:58:28 PM by n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Check it!: https://www.lewrockwell.com/donate/
LRC now accepts Bitcoin donations!

This is great news, and a big deal!  Another sign of LVMI's somewhat ambiguous stance towards Bitcoin reversing...plus one degree of separation away from Ron Paul himself accepting Bitcoin donations...and hopefully a first step towards seeing many Bitcoin-themed articles on lewrockwell.com.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 04:17:11 PM

away from Ron Paul himself accepting Bitcoin donations

for what? his pensioner booze cruises?

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 05:35:40 PM

this is big news.  thanks for finding this.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 06:02:45 PM

As a 'hardcore goldbug' myself, and one who has been interested in Bitcoin for some time, I'm not especially delighted to see Libertarians picking it up more than is already the case.  I'm more of a hard-left person and would rather see inroads made in that community.

It would be absurd to equate Libertarians to the large-ish contingent of scammers and criminals who are already present in the Bitcoin world, but I honestly don't see Libertarians having a much larger positive impact on the solution than do these folks.

Of course if goldbugs, tax cheats, and/or Libertarians turn en-mass to Bitcoin it will very likely serve my economic interests fairly well.  I'm still of the mindset that the real beauty of the general solution of peer-to-peer crypto-currencies lies with their potential to shift balances of power to a more appropriate state, and it remains the case that this is more important to me than gross wealth accumulation on a personal level.  For how much longer I'm not sure Smiley

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Coinabul

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 12:06:20 PM

Wow! Cool news!

I think it makes a lot of sense for goldbugs to use Bitcoin to purchase their gold for cheaper prices. And I'm not saying that because I'm biased.

-Jon

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 12:33:38 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2012, 01:18:07 PM by n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

away from Ron Paul himself accepting Bitcoin donations

for what? his pensioner booze cruises?

Don't be so snarky.  "Ron Paul" is shorthand for not just Ron Paul the person but also his organization (Campaign for Liberty) as well as closely affiliated entities (e.g. Rand Paul).  Ron Paul the person has retired from Congress, but almost certainly will not lead a "pensioner" lifestyle and will instead actively fundraise and solicit money on behalf of various causes during the next electoral cycle.  Whether one agrees with Paul's ideology or not, it would be tremendously positive PR for Bitcoin if he were to casually mention its acceptance as a means of donation during some future money bomb.
bitcoinsrule

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 04:31:16 AM

Yes and both are pursuing a less than optimal strategy hence why I'm neither and own both PMs and bitcoins. So I fail to see the relevancy of your post as a reply to my OP.

I consider myself both a PM bug and a crypto bug and I own both as well.  I think that was the relevancy.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 10:25:14 AM

I consider myself both a PM bug and a crypto bug and I own both as well.  I think that was the relevancy.

Read the topic again. The title says "hardcore gold bugs". By the definition you're not one of them.

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 06:15:46 PM

Looks like it's working out great for Lew:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/129917.html

Welcome, Bitcoin
Posted by Lew Rockwell on December 31, 2012 12:21 PM

A friend asks, "Now that you accept donations in Bitcoin, how has that worked out?" So far, the total is $1,899 in US dollars. Thanks to all who are participating.

So yea.  Cool

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 06:46:49 PM

Nice.  Hopefully it has a snowball effect.  The friend probably right now is either considering Bitcoins or is at the very least has a positive image of it.

As someone else pointed out hopefully we will see something like this from Lews.
http://dailyanarchist.com/2011/10/02/i-was-wrong-about-bitcoin/

I would also hope he has setup bitpay to hold at least some % in coins.  Bitpay makes it very easy you can keep 0% to 100% in Bitcoins so someone who is not sold on Bitcoin long term (like Lews maybe) could convert say 90% to fiat and hold 10% as a reserve.  10% of Bitcoin donations is unlikely to material affect his finances but if Bitcoin appreciates in value well it could be a nice hedge.
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 12:00:10 AM

LewRockwell.com is the 6th most frequented site to accept Bitcoin.

bitcoinsrule

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 07:18:07 AM

I consider myself both a PM bug and a crypto bug and I own both as well.  I think that was the relevancy.

Read the topic again. The title says "hardcore gold bugs". By the definition you're not one of them.

What is your definition of a hardcore gold bug? Because whatever it is, it certainly isn't mine.
How many oz's does one have to have to be considered hard core?

Why cant i be a hardcore gold bug and a hardcore crypto bug at the same time.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 07:52:28 AM

Why cant i be a hardcore gold bug and a hardcore crypto bug at the same time.

A better question is: how can one not be?

Relative to most other instruments, Bitcoin and gold are more-or-less the same thing to me.  They do have fairly different risk/reward profiles at this time however.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 09:44:47 AM

What is your definition of a hardcore gold bug? Because whatever it is, it certainly isn't mine.

Someone who:
- trusts only gold and maybe silver as a store of wealth
- will take only physical
- mistrusts anything that doesn't have the so called intrinsic value in the role of money

becoin
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 09:57:54 AM

Someone who:
- mistrusts anything that doesn't have the so called intrinsic value in the role of money
How about changing gold and silver in your above definition with diamonds, oil, grain, land... Are those supposed to be land bugs, oil bugs, grain bugs, or diamond bugs? How are they different to crypto bugs?
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 10:34:34 AM

Someone who:
How about changing gold and silver in your above definition with diamonds, oil, grain, land... Are those supposed to be land bugs, oil bugs, grain bugs, or diamond bugs? How are they different to crypto bugs?

I already answered this. If you bothered to read anything but the last post you'd know.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: