Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:43:53 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesnt paypal accept bitcoins?  (Read 786 times)
grizzlynick (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 04:44:50 PM

Why to i have to use western union to buy bitcoins. why cant I just use paypal.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4659

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 04:53:17 PM

Bitcoin transactions are not reversible at all.  PayPal transactions have been found to be VERY reversible.  This creates a trust situation.

The person receiving the bitcoins doesn't have to trust the sender at all.  Once he receives the bitcoins he knows he has them with certainty.  The person receiving the PayPal payment has to trust that the sender won't contact PayPal and ask for the transaction to be reversed.

If you want to receive PayPal to sell your bitcoins, you will find MANY people willing to engage in that transaction with you.  Most of them will be scammers, and after you send the bitcoins you will find that the money vanishes out of your PayPal account.  Knowing this, would you be willing to receive PayPal in exchange for bitcoins?  If you wouldn't, why would you expect that anyone else would?

Occasionally you will come across someone who is unfamiliar with this risk, and they will exchange their bitcoins for your PayPal, but once they've been scammed a few times they stop engaging in those risky transactions.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 10:00:19 PM

You can, you just pay a bit more.  This is done through VirWoX which sells Second Life Lindens (SLLs) and takes PayPal.  Then trade those SLLs for bitcoins and you are done.

- http://www.VirWoX.com

If you don't want these "middlemen" though, then you can use CoinBase.com (if you are in the U.S.) and buy or sell bitoins right from their site.  They use the banking network so there's no other service you need:
- http://www.CoinBase.com

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

abrkn

Activity: 232
Merit: 150

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 03:31:14 AM

Need your first BTC? I will buy your PayPal for a 5% fee

keybase.io/abrkn/key.asc
pizzaman1337

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 10:42:38 PM

You can, you just pay a bit more.  This is done through VirWoX which sells Second Life Lindens (SLLs) and takes PayPal.  Then trade those SLLs for bitcoins and you are done.

- http://www.VirWoX.com

If you don't want these "middlemen" though, then you can use CoinBase.com (if you are in the U.S.) and buy or sell bitoins right from their site.  They use the banking network so there's no other service you need:
- http://www.CoinBase.com

How can VirWoX do this without getting scammed? Do people not abuse this service?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:42:02 AM

How can VirWoX do this without getting scammed? Do people not abuse this service?

Well, the rate is well above spot rate, especially after you complete both trades and have your bitcoins, so they can absorb some fraud that occurs.  They also take other measures to reduce risk.  If I remember correctly, a request to withdraw bitcoins is delayed for about a day if the account is new, for instance.   They might perform other tactics to lessen the fraud that occurs as well.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █