Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 03:30:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Real-life castaway survived 438 days lost at sea  (Read 627 times)
a7mos (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 08:12:37 PM

"Buenos dias," Salvador Alvarenga said to his friend, who was propped up in the bow of their fishing boat. "What is death like?"

Ezequiel Córdoba, his body hardening and turning purple, did not reply. So Alvarenga answered for his dead sea mate. "Good. It is peaceful." Alvarenga looked out to the horizon, the ocean as endless as it had been for the last two months that they'd been lost at sea.

"Why wasn't it both of us? Why am I the one who continues to suffer?" Alvarenga asked the corpse. He remembered Córdoba, hysterical in the early days, crying about his mother and starving for tortillas. But in his final hours, the suffering lifted. Alvarenga craved the peace Córdoba had unfairly found by dying.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/08/world/rewind-real-life-castaway/index.html
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 10:23:28 AM

"Buenos dias," Salvador Alvarenga said to his friend, who was propped up in the bow of their fishing boat. "What is death like?"

Ezequiel Córdoba, his body hardening and turning purple, did not reply. So Alvarenga answered for his dead sea mate. "Good. It is peaceful." Alvarenga looked out to the horizon, the ocean as endless as it had been for the last two months that they'd been lost at sea.

"Why wasn't it both of us? Why am I the one who continues to suffer?" Alvarenga asked the corpse. He remembered Córdoba, hysterical in the early days, crying about his mother and starving for tortillas. But in his final hours, the suffering lifted. Alvarenga craved the peace Córdoba had unfairly found by dying.

It is an awesome survival story which needs commendations, it requires a lot of will power to go through such a thing and come out alive. It amazes what the human spirit is capable of when it is tested to the extreme.
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 10:30:21 AM

Staying with a dead body for 6 days can be weird.
It is tales like these which make you realize how small your problems are.  Smiley
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:00:13 PM

Staying with a dead body for 6 days can be weird.

I dunno. You can hang out with it. Sing to it. Put it in erotic positions. It'll never talk back to you, argue or steal your food. Sounds like the ideal relationship to me.
salinizm

Activity: 658
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:38:35 PM

this is the most incredible story that i've ever heard ... it is the best and magical survival story ...

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JINBI

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
[
T H E   G O L D E N   I C O
────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────
]
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
xdrpx

Activity: 616
Merit: 603

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 03:06:46 PM

That's really brave of him to survive the incident, although now he doesn't brave himself to get back to the seas for fishing. Like it was mentioned simple optimism and his faith in God saved him and I'm glad it did.
designerusa
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 06:01:11 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2016, 09:10:35 PM by designerusa

[/

i dont believe such stories... maybe it is a  mass media's doctored news.. how can a human being defeat nature without any experience on waging war on nature.. this is genuinely unbelievable...

bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 07:38:19 PM

More than a year on sea. How did he keep alive for such a long time?

Jhanzo

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

Thank satoshi

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 07:44:08 PM

More than a year on sea. How did he keep alive for such a long time?

Sea birds began lingering around their boat. For them, the fiberglass vessel was an unexpected place to rest in the vast water. When Alvarenga grabbed the first one, he recalled, Córdoba stared at him in horror. He ripped it apart like a raw chicken. But unlike processed chicken, these sea birds had a vital source of liquid: their blood.

"We cut their throats and drank their blood. It made us feel better." Desperately hungry, they tried to eat every part of the thin birds, right down to their feathers. The only part they discarded were the contents of the birds' stomachs, which were often filled with plastic and garbage. Everything in the ocean became a possible food source -- sea turtles, small sharks, and seaweed. But the ocean and the skies rarely provided for them consistently. The men counted the days in between food. Three days, catch one fish. Another three days, catch two birds.

yum. I'd like to try sharks sometimes. only not on the middle of an ocean... and cooked.
good thing that he didn't get eaten by sharks. I've read that they can detect blood.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
UliJonHoth

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 08:23:59 AM

The story is just insane to think of or comprehend - if it is true. I remember hearing stories of people losing their boats at sea and floating on beer coolers or the story below where two guys floated for a month in a cooler, but 438 days...

The men said 18 other people were on board a 10-metre wooden fishing vessel when the boat sank, Australian Maritime Safety Authority spokeswoman Tracey Jiggins said.

"They said when it sank they all went into the water and they didn't have any floatation device," she said.

"It's remarkable that they survived, and that they were spotted by Coastwatch who were on a routine flight over the Torres Strait.

"Given that they have been in the water 25 days, our Rescue Coordination Centre Australia has made an assessment that they would not be able to survive for that period of time without any form of a flotation device," she said.

Ms Jiggins did not know what food the pair had or what they did while inside the ice box. News Ltd reported the men survived by drinking rain water that gathered at the bottom of the box and by eating pieces of fish that were also in the container.
The pair could not say exactly where the boat sank, Ms Jiggins said.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/01/20/1232213549801.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: