Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:33:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin core value? - miners will switch to Bitcoin Classic  (Read 5734 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 05:10:29 AM

Saifedean Ammous is an economics professor: http://sb.lau.edu.lb/departments/economics/dr-saifedean-ammous.php

What does have to do with Bitcoin security?

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 05:13:33 AM

Saifedean Ammous is an economics professor: http://sb.lau.edu.lb/departments/economics/dr-saifedean-ammous.php

What does have to do with Bitcoin security?

I'm sorry you can't come to grips with reality. These tweets are all from the last 24 hours.

You probably don't want me to go back 3 or 4 days. Kiss
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 01:16:55 PM

it's a fighting for power. who to control the Bitcoin market. Smiley
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 05:23:16 PM

What is wrong with Bitcoin Core? I am new here so..

currently blocks are limited to 1MB so the network can only handle 3-7 transactions per second.

that's it. it seems that Bitcoin was not made to be a payment system Smiley
Dobmaster

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 01:40:47 PM

What is wrong with Bitcoin Core? I am new here so..

currently blocks are limited to 1MB so the network can only handle 3-7 transactions per second.

that's it. it seems that Bitcoin was not made to be a payment system Smiley

It is a payment system. When the block size increases to 2MB in the short term, there will be less congestion.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 02:18:37 PM

hard forking a change to solve a problem that doesn't exist in a pointless rush on the say so of a corporate lobby when a superior soft forked development that facilitates deeper progress for the project as a whole is imminent simply doesn't compute

My thoughts exactly.

The bitcoin classic fork is an irresponsible attempt to seize power in the bitcoin world. It will fail.

Even if it is the right technical approach, they are going about it in the completely wrong way.

However it is not the right technical approach. SegWit is a much better approach to the TPM issue, and is in proper testing in the bitcoin-core test releases right now.

Stay away from bitcoin-classic.

I like Gavin but this attempt of his shows he has lost touch with reality and more importantly, lost touch with the community.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 03:47:19 PM

Bitcoin Classic is already dead, I don't understand how some people are still acting as if they are going to hardfork:

http://www.coinfox.info/news/4781-bitcoin-classic-rejected-for-the-sake-of-segwit

Too bad the second trojan horse attempt didn't work. I wonder what the next name will be for Gavincoin 3.0. Bitcoin Unleashed? Sounds pretty good to me.
bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 04:00:48 PM

Bitcoin Classic is already dead, I don't understand how some people are still acting as if they are going to hardfork:

Yo Girlfriend, Classic's bangin'!

https://coin.dance/nodes
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 04:06:43 PM

I'm getting bored by those node proof images.
Nodes dont mean much as one can fire up amazon web services and launch 1000 nodes of bitcoin XT / classic or core for a nominal fee.
We all here know this.
Hashing power is what counts!
bargainbin

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 04:10:29 PM

I'm getting bored by those node proof images.
Nodes dont mean much as one can fire up amazon web services and launch 1000 nodes of bitcoin XT / classic or core for a nominal fee.
We all here know this.
Hashing power is what counts!

Admitting that node count is irrelevant kills the biggest argument against increasing the blocksize Undecided
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 04:24:39 PM

Admitting that node count is irrelevant kills the biggest argument against increasing the blocksize Undecided
The number of nodes over a longer period of time is relevant. Node count as a metric used for 'debating' is irrelevant. You can't properly measure the actual number of nodes and the number can be faked. Your attempts at trolling won't work.

The bitcoin classic fork is an irresponsible attempt to seize power in the bitcoin world. It will fail.
Even if it is the right technical approach, they are going about it in the completely wrong way.
Exactly; Classic is already dead. However, their technical approach is actually among the worst proposed so far. People who are "contributing" (copy-paste code from Core) to Classic were not actively developing lately either.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bargainbin

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 04:57:48 PM

The number of nodes over a longer period of time is relevant. Node count as a metric used for 'debating' is irrelevant. You can't properly measure the actual number of nodes and the number can be faked. Your attempts at trolling won't work.

Nonsense. Number of non-mining nodes (call them what they are: wallets) is irrelevant to Bitcoin security. It doesn't reduce centralization, only serves to obfuscate it.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 07:59:22 PM

0 classic blocks have been mined.  Only way classic is adopted at this point is if core drags their feet and every block is full with huge delays for confirmations.
madjules007

Activity: 400

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:54:46 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2016, 12:06:52 AM by madjules007

Nonsense. Number of non-mining nodes (call them what they are: wallets) is irrelevant to Bitcoin security.

Completely wrong. This implies that the entire network could be comprised of SPV nodes that trust a small, centralized group (miners) regarding the validity of the blockchain. That is not a trustless system at all. It means that miners can level endless attacks on the entire userbase, from double-spending to transaction censorship. This situation is analogous to banking customers (the bitcoin userbase) depending solely on central banks (miners) to uphold the integrity of the system. It doesn't work in the real world and it won't work in bitcoin.

Non-mining users and miners have competing incentives. Miners are only concerned with profit -- historical attacks (withholding, double-spend, tx censoring) support that. The only checks on miners' incentives to attack other miners or users are 1) other miners (who might control enough computing power to prevent computing power based attacks) and 2) non-mining nodes (who might control enough nodes to prevent Sybil attacks). Past that, miners are presumed not to be honest (they have clear incentives to be dishonest), and will steal everything they can. Non-mining nodes are therefore essential to keeping miners honest, by making it too expensive or difficult to mount certain attacks against the userbase.

It doesn't reduce centralization, only serves to obfuscate it.

By definition, nodes reduce centralization. Since every node must receive and process every transaction in every block, they are the "peers" in the p2p network. They are what gives meaning to the word "decentralization." If miners (a much more centralized group than non-mining nodes) control all nodes, then the entire userbase is at the mercy of a group that can collude against them.

That the number of nodes, or a given proportion of nodes, can be obfuscated in the short term has nothing to do with that. It doesn't matter that you can't have a clear picture of the node software people are running, nor of their intentions....what matters is that without peers, bitcoin becomes a network based on trust.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
bargainbin

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 03:19:03 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2016, 03:51:47 PM by bargainbin

Nonsense. Number of non-mining nodes (call them what they are: wallets) is irrelevant to Bitcoin security.

Completely wrong. This implies that the entire network could be comprised of SPV nodes that trust a small, centralized group (miners) regarding the validity of the blockchain. That is not a trustless system at all.
More nonsense, it doesn't. Am assuming that your inference process works something like this:
  1. You claim that the hundreds of padlocks thrown about on our lawn help secure our house.
  2. I disagree, and point out that the padlocks littering our lawn add nothing to our security.
  3. From this, you infer that I'm saying that our house is secure without those padlocks.
That's flawed reasoning. I've never suggested that Bitcoin is either "a trustless system" or secure, merely that non-mining nodes don't *add* anything to security.

It means that miners can level endless attacks on the entire userbase, from double-spending to transaction censorship.
Yes, they could, if that happens to be in their calculated best interest. Non-mining nodes (wallets) prevent this only as far as being ...you guessed it, wallets. You can rely on your wallet for making sure the correct ruleset is being followed. If you chose to rely on other_nodes (SPV wallet), or other people (web wallet), that's called trust.

This situation is analogous to banking customers (the bitcoin userbase) depending solely on central banks (miners) to uphold the integrity of the system. It doesn't work in the real world and it won't work in bitcoin.
Your level of participation/("say") in Bitcoin is proportional to your hashrate. The only voice BTC holders have is the market: You may [try to] sell when things don't go your way. Again, running non-mining nodes offers you nothing above verifying transactions for yourself (again, used as your wallet).
Non-mining users and miners have competing incentives. Miners are only concerned with profit -- historical attacks (withholding, double-spend, tx censoring) support that.
Yes, something that's often glossed over. But non-mining nodes are impotent -- if only [for the sake of simplifying the argument] because "bad," competing nodes could be trivially/inexpensively created.
The only checks on miners' incentives to attack other miners or users are 1) other miners (who might control enough computing power to prevent computing power based attacks) and 2) non-mining nodes (who might control enough nodes to prevent Sybil attacks).
But how do you keep missing something which seems so self-evident: non-mining nodes could be created by anyone, including the miners they're meant to keep in check.
It doesn't reduce centralization, only serves to obfuscate it.

By definition, nodes reduce centralization.
By definition of ...what?
Since every node must receive and process every transaction in every block, they are the "peers" in the p2p network. They are what gives meaning to the word "decentralization." If miners (a much more centralized group than non-mining nodes) control all nodes, then the entire userbase is at the mercy of a group that can collude against them.
Ahh, I see, on a purely technical level. So if I run 5000 nodes, I become 1/2 the userbase & Bitcoin becomes x2 as "decentralized." GG.
That the number of nodes, or a given proportion of nodes, can be obfuscated in the short term has nothing to do with that. It doesn't matter that you can't have a clear picture of the node software people are running, nor of their intentions....what matters is that without peers, bitcoin becomes a network based on trust.
But it already is! Gah.

Edit, TL;DR: Yes, Bitcoin would be more secure if every wallet was a full node. It would be more secure still if every wallet also hashed. This is not the case, nor is it likely to be. We rely on (trust) multiple middlemen, from BitPay to exchanges, and trust the people we transact with to actually send us something in return for the bits we send them. Number of non-mining nodes is irrelevant.
madjules007

Activity: 400

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:55:45 PM

Completely wrong. This implies that the entire network could be comprised of SPV nodes that trust a small, centralized group (miners) regarding the validity of the blockchain. That is not a trustless system at all.
More nonsense, it doesn't. Am assuming that your inference process works something like this:
  1. You claim that the hundreds of padlocks thrown about on our lawn help secure our house.
  2. I disagree, and point out that the padlocks littering our lawn add nothing to our security.
  3. From this, you infer that I'm saying that our house is secure without those padlocks.
That's flawed reasoning. I've never suggested that Bitcoin is either "a trustless system" or secure, merely that non-mining nodes don't *add* anything to security.

Anyone reading can see this is a ridiculous analogy. Instead of inventing an irrelevant analogy, try proving the actual statement wrong. If "non-mining nodes [are] irrelevant to Bitcoin security," that implies either that "Bitcoin is secure with only mining nodes" or "Bitcoin is insecure no matter what."

My statement above specifically addresses the former. It is absolutely not secure with only mining nodes. The burden is on you to prove the second statement.

It means that miners can level endless attacks on the entire userbase, from double-spending to transaction censorship.
Yes, they could, if that happens to be in their calculated best interest. Non-mining nodes (wallets) prevent this only as far as being ...you guessed it, wallets. You can rely on your wallet for making sure the correct ruleset is being followed. If you chose to rely on other_nodes (SPV wallet), or other people (web wallet), that's called trust.

Yes, relying on other nodes = trust. And without non-mining nodes, there are only mining nodes. Hence "miners can level endless attacks on the entire userbase, from double-spending to transaction censorship." You say "other nodes"...but if there are only mining nodes, the userbase, by definition, trusts miners. Hence why the existence of non-mining nodes secures bitcoin: by decentralizing hash power from validating nodes.

You said "non-mining nodes don't *add* anything to security." For individual users: Anyone who transacts with bitcoin without validating their own transactions is insecure and dependent on trust. For the bitcoin system: Without non-mining nodes, miners can level endless attacks on the entire userbase, from double-spending to transaction censorship.

Go ahead and actually prove those statements wrong instead of making a bizarre, irrelevant analogy.

This situation is analogous to banking customers (the bitcoin userbase) depending solely on central banks (miners) to uphold the integrity of the system. It doesn't work in the real world and it won't work in bitcoin.
Your level of participation/("say") in Bitcoin is proportional to your hashrate. The only voice BTC holders have is the market: You may [try to] sell when things don't go your way. Again, running non-mining nodes offers you nothing above verifying transactions for yourself (again, used as your wallet).

No, the bolded is incorrect. Hash rate is irrelevant without rule enforcement. If miners are the only party enforcing the rules, all users trust miners. My voice is my node. I enforce the rules not only to validate my own transactions but to enforce the rules of the system, helping to prevent miners or other attackers from breaking them.

The more nodes that exist that are enforcing the same rules, the more likely the longest valid blockchain data that you receive from them is accurate. If there are only five validating nodes in the network, it only takes six Sybils to make many attacks on the system easily possible.

Regarding this thinking that miners are the end-all, be-all of bitcoin:

Miners are at the whims of nodes. Running an ASIC farm doesn't give you any rights over what node software I run. And an army of nodes enforcing bitcoin's rules (including a 1MB block size limit) is here to tell you that they do not give a shit about the opinions of miners. If there is a question of multiple blockchains, miners are squeezed by economic incentive far quicker than are nodes. You won't be squeezing my nodes.

Miners have to contend with the idea that if they cannot reach 100% consensus on a single rule set (and therefore a single blockchain in a chain fork situation) that lack of node consensus will force them to chain fork and therefore choose between two distinct blockchains. A rational miner would probably rather avoid that situation. I continue to enforce the 1MB limit -- as do others -- to force rational miners to tread carefully when considering whether to hard fork without full consensus.

Non-mining users and miners have competing incentives. Miners are only concerned with profit -- historical attacks (withholding, double-spend, tx censoring) support that.
Yes, something that's often glossed over. But non-mining nodes are impotent -- if only [for the sake of simplifying the argument] because "bad," competing nodes could be trivially/inexpensively created.

It may be true that spinning up some nodes is trivial -- but mounting a successful Sybil attack may not be so trivial or inexpensive at all. Spinning up nodes for nodecounter.com is very different from being able to successfully attack the system. Non-mining nodes obviously aren't impotent because we are talking about theoretical Sybil attacks, not historical ones. Cheesy

The only checks on miners' incentives to attack other miners or users are 1) other miners (who might control enough computing power to prevent computing power based attacks) and 2) non-mining nodes (who might control enough nodes to prevent Sybil attacks).
But how do you keep missing something which seems so self-evident: non-mining nodes could be created by anyone, including the miners they're meant to keep in check.

Anyone can spin up some more nodes, including miners. So what? A miner bringing another Classic node online doesn't mean my Core node is going offline.

By definition, nodes reduce centralization.
By definition of ...what?

Every node must receive and process every transaction in every block. That distributes blockchain data to all nodes who enforce the rules, rather than a system where nodes trust a central source.

The more nodes that exist that are enforcing the same rules, the more likely the longest valid blockchain data that you receive from them is accurate. If there are only five validating nodes in the network, it only takes six Sybils to make many attacks on the system easily possible.

Since every node must receive and process every transaction in every block, they are the "peers" in the p2p network. They are what gives meaning to the word "decentralization." If miners (a much more centralized group than non-mining nodes) control all nodes, then the entire userbase is at the mercy of a group that can collude against them.
Ahh, I see, on a purely technical level. So if I run 5000 nodes, I become 1/2 the userbase & Bitcoin becomes x2 as "decentralized." GG.

No, you don't become half the userbase. But you might be a potential Sybil attacker. Give it a try, I say. Go ahead and test bitcoin's level of decentralization, and see if you can attack it. Smiley

But it already is! Gah.

Edit, TL;DR: Yes, Bitcoin would be more secure if every wallet was a full node. It would be more secure still if every wallet also hashed. This is not the case, nor is it likely to be. We rely on (trust) multiple middlemen, from BitPay to exchanges, and trust the people we transact with to actually send us something in return for the bits we send them. Number of non-mining nodes is irrelevant.

Regarding the bolded: no, it isn't. Not yet, anyway. As a bitcoin user, I don't rely on Bitpay, exchanges or any other third party -- that's only for fiat conversion, which is completely external to the bitcoin system. The faults of "trusting people we transact with" are due to "trusting people we transact with" -- not bitcoin. As I've said and provided evidence for several times, non-mining nodes are very much relevant to the decentralization and security of bitcoin.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
AliceWonderMiscreations

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 08:56:41 PM

Miners will predominantly mine on the fork that users are predominantly using. That's the only way they get a block reward that is actually worth anything.

Of course the full-nodes we run are important and balance out the power.

bargainbin

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 08:58:32 PM

Anyone reading can see this is a ridiculous analogy. Instead of inventing an irrelevant analogy, try proving the actual statement wrong. If "non-mining nodes [are] irrelevant to Bitcoin security," that implies either that "Bitcoin is secure with only mining nodes" or "Bitcoin is insecure no matter what."

My statement above specifically addresses the former. It is absolutely not secure with only mining nodes. The burden is on you to prove the second statement.
The analogy is fine. Proving the negative is notoriously hard (often impossible), and yet that's exactly what you're asking of me.

Proving the positive, OTOH (that nodes *do* contribute to security), is a must. For the statement to have a defined, positive truth value, that is (because no proof != false, so you might have an "undefined," see here).
So it would be much more appropriate for me to ask *you* to prove that nodes contribute to Bitcoin security.
Please do so.

Getting back to my analogy, you are asking me to prove that the padlocks littering the lawn don't contribute to our security. Because, if I'm unable to, they do.
At least, according to you.

I'll even help you to get your proof going. One tack might be to prove that it's economically unsound for the miners to counter "a_node_you_like" with a node of their own.

Of course the full-nodes we run are important and balance out the power.

Explain *how*.
Yes, your own coins are safe if you run a real (full node) wallet, but you do not contribute anything to the network which can't be countered by a VM instance (which could be leased by "bad" miners for a trivial sum).
AliceWonderMiscreations

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 10:21:45 PM

Explain *how*.
Yes, your own coins are safe if you run a real (full node) wallet, but you do not contribute anything to the network which can't be countered by a VM instance (which could be leased by "bad" miners for a trivial sum).

It doesn't matter how many VM instances run what clients.

What matters is what fork the the coins real people are using are on.

Initially most transactions will probably be on both forks, but as both forks continue to mine, coins will be created in the block rewards that only exist on one fork or the other.

Which node we, the people actually making transactions to buy stuff and accepting transactions to sell stuff, determine which fork has value and thus by which node we choose balance the power of the miners.

AliceWonderMiscreations

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 10:26:41 PM

What I'm trying to say is if a large percentage of the miners switch to classic but we, the users, stick to core - then those miners will be mining block rewards they can't spend because they will be on a fork that we don't accept as valid.

Thus by running a full client, we get a say in how bitcoin progresses rather than leaving it up to the miners and commercial web wallet companies.

coinbase may like classic but coinbase will have to stick with core if the userbase sticks with core. That's the security we provide.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: